What size dish do I need for 91 nimiq 1 in deep south florida?

HDTVFanAtic said:
I did find an Broadcast Engineer with a a 4.25 meter C band dish in Ft. Myers (which is clearly overkill) and a small elliptical ku band put in by skyview, so I think that is too small. I was hoping they would have a 1.2M to 1.8M on premise that I could get him to test, but no such luck.

I'll ask the stations in Miami if they have anything there to test with, if you are interested. The problem is, of course, most will have a 3.5M+ Dish which is obvious overkill. If they have a smaller Ku Band, it most likely will be something like the Skyview dish or Directpc which some put in for internet backup after Wilma.

And as noted - if you get it today, does that mean it will be there tomorrow?

Can I string 10 miles of RG6 from that 4M? :)

Actually, it would be interesting to see if a dish that size could pull them in. Theoretically, once out of the footprint, a dish that size wouldn't make a difference. If you can't get them with a monster like that, then you know for sure you are SOL this far south.

I'm keeping my eyes open as I'm driving for anything people have laying around that they may want to get rid of. Fan, I do appreciate you trying to find someone to test this out.

nimiq tv5

:(
Holysmoke said:
that is sad news indeed. I was told a one meter dish would get in the tps. I was about to purchase a 36" dish for 91 but sounds like it wont work.

If I do decide to get a bigger dish, which lnb should I use? I heard a twin lnb will not work with dishes over 24" is that true?

what happened to Nimiq 1 TV5 ? it disappeared 3 weeks ago while everything else seems the same

HDTVFanAtic said:
I did find an Broadcast Engineer with a a 4.25 meter C band dish in Ft. Myers (which is clearly overkill) and a small elliptical ku band put in by skyview, so I think that is too small. I was hoping they would have a 1.2M to 1.8M on premise that I could get him to test, but no such luck.

I'll ask the stations in Miami if they have anything there to test with, if you are interested. The problem is, of course, most will have a 3.5M+ Dish which is obvious overkill. If they have a smaller Ku Band, it most likely will be something like the Skyview dish or Directpc which some put in for internet backup after Wilma.

so let me understand what you're attempting to do

You're going to call a TV station or talk to an engineer and basically say "I need you to go outside and swap your C-band or KU Band LNB for a DBS LNB and see if you can get a Canadian service that technically I can't subscribe to legally in the US unless I have a grey market address".

You do know that if the wrong person finds out then there might be some major issues. Most of us who subscribe to Canadian TV and aren't true Canucks. We just quietly enjoy our TV and ask questions here if need be. We don't call TV stations and say "hey, can you see if you can get ExpressVu on that dish?"

You have to remember that the US is not their intended area. If we can pick up the signal in the US, that's great. But if we can't, we should just grumble to oursleves or on the board. We really shouldn't be calling TV stations asking them to see if they can get the channels. Like I say, if the wrong people find out there could be some major issues :)

Iceberg said:
We really shouldn't be calling TV stations asking them to see if they can get the channels. Like I say, if the wrong people find out there could be some major issues

Hear Hear - deep six ANY ideas about calling TV stations. How many FTA feeds have been lost by people doing exactly what you plan?

Post your address so that if there are any consequences of your actions, we know whom to visit. :mad:

Iceberg makes a great point. That said, there are many public companies that have invested serious dollars in using *C for delivery of internal training channels, etc. For *C to take any action impacting individuals would also risk impacting larger corporate customers. And we all know whose voice is heard first in this society...

Jumbo Dumbo said:
Hear Hear - deep six ANY ideas about calling TV stations. How many FTA feeds have been lost by people doing exactly what you plan?

so true. People calling the number on a backhaul FTA feed because the signal isnt the best. Not a bright idea.

Well, considering that you don't know who I am, what I do or who works for me, you think if any member of the public calls a broadcast station and says "I need to use your downlink", they are going to even stay on the phone for 5 seconds?

The fact that I did the mini-bud 4dtv tests originally on a motorized 3.8M to get the unit authorized and compare signal levels should at least have been a clue....and if you had bothered to read the other thread in the Canadian Section, the person I recommended for the SC install (which was done Monday btw) was the guy who does most of the commercial stuff in florida - was the 10th Dish unit installer in the country (the first 3 were all related to Charlie) - and as he stated, they do ALL the commercial stuff for StarChoice in Florida (yes, there are Canadians that show up for the Winter).

Now, RedwingsHD, who told you who to call to get a SC system installed? It was installed on Monday, I know because I was out at their place picking up some lnbs today and they had the pictures of your install - why do I run in those circles of professionals and another Canadian System was installed in the last 48 hours from a recommendation here if I am so clueless?

So go ahead, ban me here like you did from the FTA private section like you did several days ago - but you are really barking up the wrong tree.

Once again, this is what you get for trying to help people out. Geez.

Last edited:
again, ExpressVu's signal is not intended for the US. So if it gets into the wrong people's hands there could be some major issues for all the people who are enjoying this.

But since you feel to be above all of us, you just don't care do you? I guess with you its "all about me me me". Just like when you feel the need to attach huge pictures when everyone else uses thumbnails, then proceeds to piss and moan when mods make them thumbnails and then uses the reason of "well, why should I click on it 3 times to get it full screen" when if you actually followed the rules and posted them as thumbnails here one click blows it up to full page (and doesn't have stupid popups for poker and nudie sites).

Funny how your version of helping isnt the same as what others think it is. I guess when I get a few PM's about your post in particular that is why I responded.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
Now, RedwingsHD, who told you who to call to get a SC system installed? It was installed on Monday, I know because I was out at their place picking up some lnbs today and they had the pictures of your install - why do I run in those circles of professionals and another Canadian System was installed in the last 48 hours from a recommendation here if I am so clueless?

Yes, you made a quality recommendation, and I appreciate that.

You're reacting as if I called your credibility into question, which wasn't the case at all: I agreed with points that Iceberg made about general suspicion raised about what the Canadian providers might regard as unusual interest, not that what you mentioned was necessarily unusual.

Peace! :)

You're reacting as if I called your credibility into question, which wasn't the case at all: I agreed with points that Iceberg made about general suspicion raised about what the Canadian providers might regard as unusual interest, not that what you mentioned was necessarily unusual.
exactly. But since I said something that apparently upset him he has an issue with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)