What size HDMI?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I need to buy a 50' HDMI to run from my HD receiver to my back porch for an outside TV. Monoprice offers a 24 awg cable for $30 and a 22 awg cable for $56. Is there any reason the 24 awg cable wouldn't work just fine? Or should I pay extra for the 22 awg? It will run up an interior wall, through the attic, and to the back porch.

I don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise they would not be selling it. I would think!
But, can you return the 24 gauge cable to mono if it doesn't work?

Just got the 50FT 24 AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black from monoprice on 8/20/10
works great .I do not think dish will ever catch up and offer mrv so I needed to get hd from my other 722 and I payed some one to run it under my house.
Sorry i waited so long to do it. the 24 works fine great picture .

For cable runs of over 20 feet, i've always gone with 22 AWG as it's a thicker cable and, for me anyway, the thicker cable handles the longer runs better. I don't have any scientific proof for that, I'm just mentioning what I prefer.

As for the ferrites, I've been told the newer cables have the shielding built into the cable, so there's no need for additional ferrite shields.

I haven't used them, but you might consider using CAT5 instead.

Wall plates

For only $16.52 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White (Rev. 1.2) | HDMI Wall Plates

cat5e cables

For only $3.68 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 50FT Cat5e 350MHz UTP Ethernet Network Cable - Blue | Cat5e Straight Cables - 50ft

The wall plates are $19.06 for the pair and the Cat 5e cables are $4.35 each.

I'm not sure what cable you are looking at, but I would guess its in the $40+ range. Also, with the enternet you could extend for little costs later.

Just a thought.

I called BlueJean Cable this morning and I thought what he told me was interesting. I asked about needing ferrites for long runs, and he told me that if a cable comes with ferrites he would stay away from them because their probably really cheap made cables. And that good quality shielded cables should never need ferrites.
I also asked him what size HDMI to use for a 50' run. He said that even the 24awg cable should be fine. That it really all depends on the source. He said in his experience, that Dish and Direct boxes are the WORST sources for long HDMI runs. He said he has had many cables returned that were used on Dish and Direct boxes because the customer said they would not work. But when tested upon return that they were all fine.
That worries me since I'm using it on a Dish receiver. Because I'm building a wall around the section of HDMI and if it doesn't work I will have a time changing it out.

From one of the reviews:

Some missing information in the specs: (this is from the backside fo the box)
HDMI 1.3b
1080p up to 32M Cat6-STP
1080i up to 52M Cat6-STP
720P up to 52M Cat6-STP
480P up to 75M Cat 6-STP
1080p up to 25M Cat5E - UTP
1080i up to 38M Cat5E - UTP
720P up to 28M Cat5E - UTP
480P uo to 65M Cat5E - UTP

So you should be fine with 5e up to 75ft.

From one of the reviews:

Some missing information in the specs: (this is from the backside fo the box)
HDMI 1.3b
1080p up to 32M Cat6-STP
1080i up to 52M Cat6-STP
720P up to 52M Cat6-STP
480P up to 75M Cat 6-STP
1080p up to 25M Cat5E - UTP
1080i up to 38M Cat5E - UTP
720P up to 28M Cat5E - UTP
480P uo to 65M Cat5E - UTP

So you should be fine with 5e up to 75ft.

That spec implies that using cat5E unshielded will work fine. But the monoprice website recommends using shielded only when using it for audio/video. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Because I can get a 50' Cat5E unshielded patch cord from my work for less than $5 each. But it won't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work properly.

That spec implies that using cat5E unshielded will work fine. But the monoprice website recommends using shielded only when using it for audio/video. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Because I can get a 50' Cat5E unshielded patch cord from my work for less than $5 each. But it won't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work properly.
What I have read on the issue is that shielded should be used if the run will be near or crossing electrical conduit, which could cause interference.

I believe the 50ft unshielded CAT5E will 'work' fine, but over longer distances you allow the cable to be exposed to more interference and possibly degrade the quality of the signal. If you're only traveling 3-6 ft, i wouldn't think unshielded cable would make a difference, but that changes when you expose more and more of the cable to interference.

Also, keep in mind that at your work, unless you work in a high-end audio/video studio, they're not too concerned about the slight signal degradation when you're pulling an Excel spreadsheet over the network to your PC. However, that slight-to-moderate degradation might cause unwanted affects on your home theater system.

I look at it this way, if you're going to spend the money to build a decent home theater or to enjoy whole-home viewing, don't scimp on the wiring. You can always upgrade tv's, stereos, speakers, etc, but once you cover those wires with drywall, it's awfully hard to upgrade them.

That's a very good point. And I don't mind spending the extra cash to make sure it's correct. I was just hoping to get this done tonight and not have to wait on the monoprice shipment. But I guess it's better safe than sorry.

That's a very good point. And I don't mind spending the extra cash to make sure it's correct. I was just hoping to get this done tonight and not have to wait on the monoprice shipment. But I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Always run more than you need for redundancy. I ran 4 RG6, 2 HDMI, and 4 RG6 to each room and just left the extras just outside the boxes where I could grab them if needed. It's cheaper to do it when walls are open.

Maybe run some 1" PVC through the wall and put the cables in later? The kind they use for irrigation is pretty cheap. Something like $3 for 10 feet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)