What stores Satellite positions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Does the receiver store the satellite positions or is it the motor (sg2100)?

Spent a few hours fine tuning the dish. After I swung it to 15w, all the positions are now off by several degrees and have to re-fine tune them.
I use to think the shed was moving during winter due to the frost, however, its not the case anymore.

The dish/mount didnt move as the reception, after an adjustement, is back to where it should be.

Cheers, K

Does the receiver store the satellite positions or is it the motor (sg2100)?

Spent a few hours fine tuning the dish. After I swung it to 15w, all the positions are now off by several degrees and have to re-fine tune them.
I use to think the shed was moving during winter due to the frost, however, its not the case anymore.

The dish/mount didnt move as the reception, after an adjustement, is back to where it should be.

Cheers, K

Did you tighten the bolts? Sounds like its got some slack?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Receiver stores only the Position Number for DiSEqC 1.2, and the motor stores the Position Number and how many "clicks" from Zero the Number is.
Run you Motor far West, and see if it looses position.

Using USALS is better for most Sats.

Well the shed nor the j-mount moved.. not too many parts left that could shift the allignment off. The only 2 parts am thinking is the LNB arm or the motor itself shifted from the bracket which is fastened to the mount.

I suspect when I was moving towards 15w the dish hit the mount's support legs and kept forcing.

Who knows..

I suspect my elevation is off by a few degrees now. Tomorrow, if weather coperates, am going to attach a few laser pointers on the dish and swing it to both ends to hopefully determine whats moving.

K

The Receiver stores only the Position Number for DiSEqC 1.2, and the motor stores the Position Number and how many "clicks" from Zero the Number is.
Run you Motor far West, and see if it looses position.

Using USALS is better for most Sats.

Exactly.

v1.2 stores the positions inside the motor. You can store position 5 as 89w and 6 as 91w on one receiver and now any receiver attached to the motor can goto position 5 or 6 and get the correct satellite. (as long as the position is valid, ie it wouldnt be if you sent the motor to me because we live at different locations)

v1.3 doesnt store any positions anywhere, your receiver based on your long/lat will calculate how many degrees to turn the motor and will send a request to the motor to turn X number of degree's

UDL

but you run into problems with old receivers like the coolsat that store the position automatically and you have no idea what position # it used.I think the only way you could tell is by loading the sat/channel list into an editor to get the position # of the motor.I rip my hair out every time I bounce back and forth from the coolsat to the openbox s10 or the x2.
As a matter of fact my s10 was the first receiver that I had to manually assign a position # to.
Previous to that all receivers stored it automatically with their own numbering system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts