What to do with a portable receiver in a car I bought?

MrPink

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
SoCal
Hello, everyone:

I've got a weird situation. I've never been a Sirius/XM customer. But I bought a used car from someone a few months ago, and she left the whole Sirius setup in it. And it works, and has continued working. I have no idea what her subscription was or is, and I'd like to know. But I only know the woman's name, not her email or account info or address or anything else Sirius would want to know in order to get any information at all.

The subscription is fine except for one thing- it doesn't allow me to get Coast to Coast AM, probably the one thing I want most.

Anyone have any ideas about how I would go about getting subscription information, and how I would add a single channel? I mean, suppose its a lifetime (which I am assuming it is, since the receiver keeps working) subscription. Can you change packages somehow and keep the lifetime? I just don't want to do something that might somehow get Sirius' attention and have the receiver turned off. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Let it ride till it stops working. Then you call them, while in the car, and they will walk you thru how to get the numbers they need. You'll get about 3 more years before Sirius 2 kicks in and the radio is worthless. Probably an annual subscription.

Not sure what you mean by the AM business.

Let it ride. If the previous owner paid for a year, it will be shut off at the end of the year she paid for. If she cancelled her subscription, and the tuner never received the deactivation signal let it go until it (if) does get shut off. If she did have a lifetime subscription, don't bother calling sirius or the previous owner.

Last edited:
I would let it ride as well.

I had the same thing with a used car I bought recently. I had free service until the 1st of the next month after I bought it when it abruptly ended. At some point; it will end...

Thanks, everyone. I guess when it ends, that will be the end of that, then. Navychop: CtC is on a channel the receiver apparently isn't subscribed for.

What's Coast to Coast AM? I've not heard of that channel. Is that also available on XM?

From Wikipedia:

Coast to Coast AM is broadcast on over 500 United States affiliates, as well as numerous Canadian affiliates, several of which stream the show on their station's website. The show's Streamlink service offers live Internet feeds of the show by subscription. The program is also broadcast on XM Satellite Radio in the United States, on Talk Radio 165, for 11 hours per day. Due to XM Satellite Radio's operational assistance agreement with Clear Channel, Coast to Coast AM was forbidden from broadcasting on Sirius Satellite Radio until XM and Sirius merged in 2008.
The show's complete schedule can be found on its website. Because the show is so frequently repeated, audible cue signals are inserted at the beginning and end of commercial breaks, to facilitate substitution of commercials by local stations.

Coast to Coast AM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Lifetime Subscription" in a used car

I also bought a used car from a dealer. A used 2009 Jeep from a Toyota dealer. I went to the local Jeep dealer to have work done and have uConnect bluetooth added to the radio receiver. When I bought the car the Sirius radio was working. The Totota dealer explained that it was probably a lifetime sub since the first owners 1 year spcial would have run out in December 2010. I'm just guessing now but I suspect the Jeep dealer, after demanding they connect a computer to the car to connect bluetooth (not required) actually submitted the status of the radio including sub info to Jeep and thence to Sirius. Within a few weeks the Sirius radio stopped working. Lifetime of the radio? Not! Looks like Sirius is going to shut these radios down when they get notice of a vehicle sale regardless of who paid for what.

What's Coast to Coast AM? I've not heard of that channel. Is that also available on XM?
CTC is the number one overnight talk show. Many years ago, it was Art Bell's program, but after several gyrations back and forth, it is now usually hosted by George Noory. On their website, they say "Sirius XM Satellite Radio XM Talk 168," but my receiver won't tune the channel. But what's interesting is that they used to say 165. I've just noticed that they now say 168. I am going to have to see if it works, now.

And I'm not looking the horse in the mouth... I'm just a typical geek who absolutely has to look under the hood!

I doubt the status of this receiver will ever be discovered or change. The car is 11 years old, and I do all my own service. Plus being a portable, it would never be left in the car, anyway.

MrPink said:
CTC is the number one overnight talk show. Many years ago, it was Art Bell's program, but after several gyrations back and forth, it is now usually hosted by George Noory. On their website, they say "Sirius XM Satellite Radio XM Talk 168," but my receiver won't tune the channel. But what's interesting is that they used to say 165. I've just noticed that they now say 168. I am going to have to see if it works, now.

And I'm not looking the horse in the mouth... I'm just a typical geek who absolutely has to look under the hood!

I doubt the status of this receiver will ever be discovered or change. The car is 11 years old, and I do all my own service. Plus being a portable, it would never be left in the car, anyway.

When XM had their big realignment over the summer, they moved the Clear Channel-owned channels around, so XM 165 moved to XM 168 (which is where Coast is). Coast airs the last couple of hours of the prior night at 10p ET, it runs live 1a to 5a ET, and immediately rebroadcasts from 5a to 9a ET.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts