What to look for in a Diseqc Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
Just looking on E-Bay and noticing that there is an abundance of differently (but still cheaply) priced switches available. What should I look for in a switch? I'm assuming 4x1 is 4 LNBs in and one output? That should be sufficient. Can you stack the switches for more capacity? Are there any that I should stay away from?

My system includes a Pansat 3500SD a 1m offset dish with single H/V lnb, potentially another 30" offset with similar lnb and possibly one circular polarised LNB on an 18" dish, could those all peacefully co-exist on one diseqc switch with one receiver?

I bought an inexpensive switch on ebay and I am quite happy with it. The seller offered a warranty against failure for a year. Others have left comments on this site that some of the inexpensive switches are more prone to failure. That may be true. It just hasn't happened to me. You are right the 4x1 lets you hook up 4 lnbs to your receiver. The type of LNB is configured on your receiver so mixing LNB types works okay. Iceberg has a post on here somewhere where he explains how to use a 22khz switch and 2 - 4x1 switches to use 8 lnbs with a receiver.

Here's the thread dealing with switching 8 lnbs :
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64170

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Even the pansat one I saw on Ebay wasn't that much, around $9.00 I think. 4 inputs should be plenty for me............although the FTA bug has bitten me pretty damn hard. We'll start with 4..........

That's what they all say. "I'll never need more than four! What would I do with all of those extra inputs, anyway?"

That's where it starts. The next thing you know, BAM, a whole backyard filled with the little buggers. The next step, building a platform and mounting some of them upside down for fun. Be careful. You never know where it is going to end! :)

Enjoy the ride!
Hantu

hantu said:
That's what they all say. "I'll never need more than four! What would I do with all of those extra inputs, anyway?"

That's where it starts. The next thing you know, BAM, a whole backyard filled with the little buggers. The next step, building a platform and mounting some of them upside down for fun. Be careful. You never know where it is going to end! :)

Enjoy the ride!
Hantu

so true :)
started with a 18" dish for the free audio on ExpressVu (which is now scrambled) then a 30" dish, then a 2nd, then a motor, then a blind scan box......snowballs from there :)

True enough. Even in the C-Band days one wasn't enough for me............sad, so sad. But fun!!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
I was actually tallying up the dishes that I expect I'm gonna use and it did come to more than 4..........dammit!

Inno said:
True enough. Even in the C-Band days one wasn't enough for me............sad, so sad. But fun!!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
I was actually tallying up the dishes that I expect I'm gonna use and it did come to more than 4..........dammit!

I bought and installed my first dish and LNB on May 23rd this year. One month later, I had 3 LNBs. End of another month, I had 2 dishes and 5 LNBs. Less than 2 weeks later, I had 6 LNBs operational, plus one "retired" Universal LNB! (One DiSEqC switch + two 22Khz switches).

Major thing I did learn (too late) was to get Standard LNBs as they can be used with the 22Khz switches (as can Circular) whereas Universal LNBs can't.

Of course, when I started I foolishly thought I'd just need the one LNB! That lasted a whole two weeks!

It gets to a point where much (most?) of your income gets diverted to FTA gear. And, of course, the WAF (wife approval factor) becomes... well, a factor :) Those of us who are single breathe a sigh of relief.

But the "F" in "FTA" can be misleading ;)

DiSEqC switches will range in loss figures, but they do cause insertion loss. GeoSatpro DiSEqC switches are rated 3.0 dB loss figure. Additional figures to compare are the frequency ranges (900 - 2400MHz), isolation between ports (>25dB) and current loss (<25mA).

Cheaper switches often cut off the lowend frequency at 1000 or 950MHz, suffer from poor isolation and fail quickly if exposed to repeated or high current draws. They also may not recognize DiSEqC commands higher than 1.0.

Always remember to turn off the master power switch or unplug the receiver when connecting or disconnecting DiSEqC switches or LNBFs to the DiSEqC ports. Never place the DiSEqC switch inline between the receiver and a motor. The DiSEqC switch should be placed after a motor to eliminate the repeated current draws.

Gary Z said:
I'm using a DMS International 2X1 switch.... is that a cheap switch? The switch is after the motor.

Its a QUALITY switch :D No matter what the price!

2 1/2 years with just ONE DiSEqC switch says it ALL! :)

Last edited:
I've got 2 DMSI 4x1 Diseqc's that are outside and have survived MN winters :)
One the back is all rusted to hell but she runs like a champ

Our DiSEqC switches are rated at less than 2dB loss. I believe they are the best low cost switch on the market. We are able to keep the cost down because of the volume we do. Including our OEM customers we do over 200,000 switches per month. I think that alone says a lot for the product. We'll do 3 million DiSEqC switches this year, maybe more. If you want a quality switch at a reasonable price buy the DMS International switch from one of our resellers.

MrTim,

I bought an SG2100 motor and a Spitfire LNB from a DMS International reseller, both are fine products. :hatsoff: Great Products!

MrTim said:
Our DiSEqC switches are rated at less than 2dB loss. I believe they are the best low cost switch on the market. We are able to keep the cost down because of the volume we do. Including our OEM customers we do over 200,000 switches per month. I think that alone says a lot for the product. We'll do 3 million DiSEqC switches this year, maybe more. If you want a quality switch at a reasonable price buy the DMS International switch from one of our resellers.

3 million! That's alot of FTA'ers! Or can they be used for something else?

Hi all,

Where to place the Inline amplifier(before or ater the DisEqc switch)?

I have had bad luck with the 4x1 switches. 1 Sadoun switch (DOA), 1 Geopro (lasted 2 days) and 1 Coolsat(DOA) both from Sattelite Av (they are free), 1 cheap one from Ebay (DOA). The 2nd cheap one has been good so far (1 week).

Waitting for the 2 DMS International ones. If they are not good, that means something is wrong with my 4 years old Satcruiser+. Maybe I have to unplug the receiver instead off just using the swith in the back.

Cuong

YES! ALWAYS unplug ALL power before adding or removing any DiSEqC switch!

I would NOT use an in line amp, I have solved more problems over the years by removing them than by adding them!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts