What to look for in surround speakers?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've decided to upgrade my HT and would like some help with the surround speakers. So far I've decided on the Denon 1909 receiver and probably the A2-300 Sub. But I really don't know what to look for in the remaining speakers. I know I need small satellite or bookshelf speakers and I would like to stay in the same price range as my receiver and sub.

What does one look for spec wise when looking for speakers. I'm somewhat a newbie when it comes to the technicals of speakers. So what should I look for? As for watts, what frequency range, ect. ?

I've decided to upgrade my HT and would like some help with the surround speakers. So far I've decided on the Denon 1909 receiver and probably the A2-300 Sub. But I really don't know what to look for in the remaining speakers. I know I need small satellite or bookshelf speakers and I would like to stay in the same price range as my receiver and sub.

What does one look for spec wise when looking for speakers. I'm somewhat a newbie when it comes to the technicals of speakers. So what should I look for? As for watts, what frequency range, ect. ?

Hi Smokey,

This is a big order. The old school used to say you should put 50% of your budget into speakers, but that has been somewhat muddled by needing surrounds and the cost of good speakers coming down in price.

There are good choices in bookshelves by Polk, Infinity, BA and Klipsch Synergy. That's where I would start listening. You can hear them all at either BB or CC.

In your budget, you really want a high efficiency speaker. You shoul never be driving your amplifier much beyond 30% of its rated power, because any more will cause clipping to occur in the amp. That is what sounds bad in a speaker. That's one of the reasons I like the Klipsches. They are very efficient and clean. Others say they tend to be too bright, but personally, I like that in a theater speaker.

I'm not really familiar with an A2-300 sub. With these small satellites, you need to match it with something that provides a good amount of mid to upper bass, in the 70-140 Hz range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts