• Dish Pass

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Traditionally I’ve used the Name based Event Timer and select New Episodes. Now that I have been using the SlingGuide (It has a bug with Name based event timers) I’ve started using Dish Pass. Which one do you use/prefer and why?

The problem with too many Dish Pass timers is that it is more likely to fill-up all the allotted number of events allowed in memory.

Dish pass... so you don't have to redo your timers when you "move." :D

Also, it would have saved me from redoing all the spike and comedy central timers when they added the HD channel... argh... timers!

I use some DISH PASS but not most. Among other problems with Dish Pass is that the string you can enter is too short so it may match other shows you are not interested and record them, and it tends to ignore my OTA HD channels (I select HD only) and so skips shows when I have 2 other timers at the same time.

The Only time I use a dish pass if if I can't find the program in the guide but know I want it. like when I'm changeing receivers in the off season.

I use Dish Pass for 1-time events that have short names that I can match "exactly". Usually that's for a movie I enter partway through and would like to record from the beginning. Otherwise I use timers for shows I record regularly...

I prefer name-based, but I do wish I could specify which channels to "try" and record from. Dish Pass is too inclusive. We need something in between... :)

What would be nice is to set up a name-based, and then have the option to choose which channels for it to look for the program (to help resolve conflicts). Alternatively, if it was just smart enough to use my Dish-provided network channel or my OTA channels. Of course, with my locals coming in HD on 4/22 (hope it comes through), the only time that would be an issue is if I had more than 3 things in a given timeslot I wanted to record. Still, would be nice.

I use Dish Pass for 1-time events that have short names that I can match "exactly". Usually that's for a movie I enter partway through and would like to record from the beginning. Otherwise I use timers for shows I record regularly...

That happens a lot for me - surfing and find a movie that I want to watch from the beginning - just press search - the current program will default to the search text, select done, then get results - you will see when the movie is on again - select one and you will be in the create timer screen.

I prefer name-based, but I do wish I could specify which channels to "try" and record from. Dish Pass is too inclusive. We need something in between... :)

What would be nice is to set up a name-based, and then have the option to choose which channels for it to look for the program (to help resolve conflicts). Alternatively, if it was just smart enough to use my Dish-provided network channel or my OTA channels. Of course, with my locals coming in HD on 4/22 (hope it comes through), the only time that would be an issue is if I had more than 3 things in a given timeslot I wanted to record. Still, would be nice.

Yes, especially shows that air on Discovery Networks channels. In other words, I do use a Dish Pass for shows that air on more than one channel such as Commanders at War or Nick Baker's Weird Creatures on both Science channel and Discovery Theater, and I remember seeing it on yet a third channel. I do use DishPass in such situations or for a movie that is in now in theaters, but will be aired on one of the premiums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)