What we are hearing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Apparently, IMO, D* isnt willing to pay Sinclair and BELO like COx Communications and Verizon was. This absolutely ludicrous now that both Cable and newbie FIOS has the locals and D* doesnt. :rolleyes:

Do D* and BELO have issues since out local ABC is BELO owned and we have them in HD, not like LIN which is holding two of our stations hostage?

Apparently, IMO, D* isnt willing to pay Sinclair and BELO like COx Communications and Verizon was.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you think there is something different in the way the networks and/or affiliates negotiate with satco's as opposed to cable/FIOS? Just wondering why D* cannot get all the locals in HD in areas where they have some of them, even though the others can. Here in Indy we have WISH, which is not available in HD on the dish (with either carrier), but is on all of the cable systems, and was one of the first on the cable systems, from what I remember of my halcyon days with cable... It's a LIN-owned station, so I know that contributes to the problem, but why don't the cable companies have the same problem? Or have they just caved more easily and paid what the networks wanted?

I thought Directv and Sinclair had a blanket agreement to cover all their stations?

Do D* and BELO have issues since out local ABC is BELO owned and we have them in HD, not like LIN which is holding two of our stations hostage?
I forget about LIN. They are FOX and NBC affiliates. Sinclair owns MyTVz and fox35 out of richmond,and BELO owns the ABC affiliate here. I do not know for sure which stations are the culprits, but the way to put pressure on them is to carry the ones you can. And how is Verizon FIOS and COX able to reach deals but not D*?????

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you think there is something different in the way the networks and/or affiliates negotiate with satco's as opposed to cable/FIOS? Just wondering why D* cannot get all the locals in HD in areas where they have some of them, even though the others can. Here in Indy we have WISH, which is not available in HD on the dish (with either carrier), but is on all of the cable systems, and was one of the first on the cable systems, from what I remember of my halcyon days with cable... It's a LIN-owned station, so I know that contributes to the problem, but why don't the cable companies have the same problem? Or have they just caved more easily and paid what the networks wanted?
Same thing here in Buffalo. LIN owns our WIVB (CBS) and it is on cable (used to be Adelphia now TW) in HD but not on either satellite. What gives?

Nope harsh - it's YOU that's reading this wrong.
Naw, I quoted what was said and you berated me and said that it wasn't said. Obviously the phrased that I quoted was spoken by Chase Carey himself.

Apparently it is all out the window anyway with the new announcement that addresses adds of HD LIL directly.

As pointed out over at the other place, one of the eleven markets listed was turned up November 28th.

Or have they just caved more easily and paid what the networks wanted?
It doesn't seem to be as much about the money as it is about carriage of channels (or subchannels as the case may be). Local cable companies don't consider carrying extra channels the burden that the DBS operators do because they only have to carry one or two sets of local channels.

But was it January 1 or another day later in the month? I doubt a network would launch on a major holiday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.