What went wrong with Orby, news story

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Reactions: MikeI and N5XZS
Thought you might like this news story, Here's the link... :hatsoff

I am getting the following error with that link:

Fastly error: unknown domain: www.nexttv.com.

Is everybody else still able to read it? Aha. I can read the story here instead: Streaming Alone Didn’t Kill the [Almost] Satellite Star: Orby TV Chief Tells of Upstart’s Fall - News Break

No, that didn't work either since it was one paragraph and then a link to nexttv.

Are you using the new iOS 15?
Nope: all Windows and Linux ad OpenVMS here.

Juan posted a link in The Pub to a massive outage reported here: Huge parts of internet currently offline
A number of leading websites are currently not working, including Amazon, Reddit and Twitch. The UK government website - gov.uk - is also down as are the Financial Times, the Guardian and the New York Times. Affected websites displayed the message: "Error 503 Service Unavailable". Early reports suggested it could be related to Fastly, a cloud computing provider, which underpins a lot of major websites. Fastly said it was looking into problems with its global content delivery network (CDN).

Reactions: N5XZS and FTA4PA
Countless websites and apps around the world went down Tuesday after Fastly, a major content delivery network, reported a widespread failure.

Fastly supports news sites and apps like CNN, the Guardian, the New York Times and many others. It also provides content delivery for Twitch, Pinterest, HBO Max, Hulu, Reddit, Spotify and other services.

Other major internet platforms and sites including Amazon, Target, and the UK government website — Gov.uk — were affected.
For the record, I am personally having zero issues with Amazon or CNN.

I would argue that it was already on the backfoot as it had no sports. People can already get much of those channels that they offer for less through streaming so what OrbyTV really needed to survive was sports. On top of that, having an antenna to get locals isn't feasible in rural areas (where you want people to get the service) so that was another issue.

I would argue that it was already on the backfoot as it had no sports. People can already get much of those channels that they offer for less through streaming so what OrbyTV really needed to survive was sports. On top of that, having an antenna to get locals isn't feasible in rural areas (where you want people to get the service) so that was another issue.
According to the reports, they were already almost half way to the break even point, so the likelihood of attracting another ~30,000 subscribers to make that landmark was probably pretty good given the finances to hang in. Beyond that is where profits begin. I think projected profitability at just ~65,000 subscribers speaks well of how well they had costs and overhead under control. In hindsight, as Mr Thornton said in the piece, they should have spread their financing among more investors so the loss of one would not have been the total disaster that it was.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I will note my belief they kept prices low is because they DID NOT cover sports. Not their target market. IIRC, only about a third of US adults follow sports regularly, another third casually and the rest simply don’t care. Plenty room there to build a successful business.

Orby is DONE!!. So get over it people. Unactivated receivers are useless, they cannot be used for any other satellite signals, hacking the firmware will accomplish nothing. Orby is not coming back so subscribe to Dish Network (former Orby subs get a discount) and watch tv that way. Maybe there should be a virtual funeral for all that are distraught over Orby’s demise. Finally go outside and give your old receivers a dignified burial.

I liked the Orby model. I'm one of those who has zero interest in watching sports, and it always galled me that we had to pay a bunch of $$$ a month to DirecTV for a huge pile of stuff we had no interest in. Same issue for the non-sports channels, BTW.

I'm not going to Dish, because it'll largely be more of the same situation we had with DirecTV. While Dish's plan might be marginally better in that respect, we'd still end up paying a good bit of money for channels/content that doesn't appeal to us whatsoever. At least in Orby's case, the non-premium-channel base package was so low in cost that I didn't gag when paying the monthly bill, even though there were a few channels that didn't interest us.

Sticking with FTA and OTA for now. Will probably consider a couple of streaming services at some point, but not now, as there's no broadband in our area yet. (Our internet connection is via DSL.) For that reason, Orby was a good option for us. Still sad to see it go.

But at least I've been able to re-purpose the Orby dish for FTA use.

Richard