What will hapen to FP mode when all subs ends

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I don’t get TVcolombia it supposed to be on Free preview mode, will all Free preview channels go away as soon as all subscriptions end lets say in 3-5 years.

Or how can I watch TV Colombia and other Freepreview channels if I dont sub to anything.

FYI I dont sub to pizza or cable either

thanks

If the dreaded day finally comes for the DCII consumer programming and channel mapping, assuming the cable headends still use it... I'm betting that the person that programs the uplink won't have a reason to transmit in in FP or U modes. We could only hope to see the occasional ZK transmissions for testing periods using the generic mode on our receivers.

I hate to say it but I think our day is coming. I will be ota and Fta only after that point. I don't do catch pizza pan contracts.

The best thing to probably do when that day comes as a hobbyist is to get a commercial DC-2 that does megapipe and maybe even the new HD, Mpeg 4 DC-2. That will let us see ZK, & FP channels when the programmers database is down or whatever reason. Maybe some programmers will ditch CA mode and we could benefit. Wouldn't that be nice. :)

A minor point, but I always referred to "FP" as fixed process, not free preview. There IS another mode that allows receivers that are subscribed to something view programming for free, but I don't know what that mode is called. FP mode doesn't have anything to do with subscriptions, is simply a fixed key mode, ie the signal is encrypted, but is encrypted with a key that all GI/MOT receivers know. Often, however, at least for commercial units, receivers can only view FP mode if they have at one time in their history been authorized. Much of what has been in FP mode over the years, was quite obviously not FP as any kind of a preview, it just apparently happened to be an easy mode for the uplinkers to use. For example, when the PBS transponders used to be DCII, most of them were FP, and obviously this had nothing to do with free previews. A couple of the NET channels are still in FP mode, while most are now ZK, again, pretty clear that it has nothing to do with preview. You used to find find DCII signals such as Merrill Lynch that were in FP mode, sending market info to their various offices, again obviously not any kind of a preview. I think FP is just an easy way for uplinkers to set their equipment that doesn't involve transmitting any keys to the intended recipients.
SOOO, except for the likelihood that there will be a lot less DCII up there, I don't think that the end of subscription services will have much affect on the amount of FP programming up there, mainly because much of the FP stuff never had anything to do with subscription services anyway. In fact, once people start throwing away their 4DTVs, I think there will probably be MORE FP signals up there for those of us with commercial receivers to view, because the uplinkers will figure that there aren't enough people capable of viewing their signals anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)