What will happen to Directv going forward

Internet needs to be classified as a utility and be subject to the same rules as POTS was. A POTS line is generally the same price in the middle of a city or in the middle of nowhere. Basic broadband access (as defined by the FCC, 25mbps) needs to be the same price in the middle of nowhere as it is in the middle of a city and available everywhere POTS is.

In the past companies had to be forced by the government to provide electricity and POTS to homes in the middle of nowhere, the same now needs to be applied to basic broadband access.
That would be great, except the Internet doesn't work that way, as a large population cannot get any where near 25 mg.

When you get Dial tone or Electric its all or nothing, no different levels.

It’s been posted on this site that Dish lost 100,000 subs in the same period that DTV lost 1,100,000

I agree that the future is wireless, but that doesn't mean they will up and quit everything else ...
They Bouhgt it, whats it been, 5 years ago now .... they felt it was a good move then ...

They would have to sell it cheap ...
Jimbo,

Satellite is WIRELESS as well. I just don't see Terrestrial being the answer for Rural or business customers.

John

Reactions: Jimbo
It’s been posted on this site that Dish lost 100,000 subs in the same period that DTV lost 1,100,000

Dish Network-
14 million subscribers in 2014
9.40 million subscribers end of 2019

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Claude Greiner
I agree that the future is wireless, but that doesn't mean they will up and quit everything else ...
They Bouhgt it, whats it been, 5 years ago now .... they felt it was a good move then ...

They would have to sell it cheap ...

Wireless is not the future. With mmWave ‘5G’ on Verizon and AT&T, you pretty much have to be with in eyesight of a microcell to get those super fast speeds and any little obstacle will decrease your speeds at an alarming rate. Seeing results of T-Mobile’s low band ‘5G’, the speeds are pretty disappointing. It's all physics and there is no way a wireless solution is a suitable replacement for a good wired connection.

Dish your SOL, trying to get a decent internet connection, and the only way your getting internet with AT&T is if your in a “Rich” area that they installed fiber, or live close to a VRAD, and cab get decent internet speeds on their copper network.

Actually, the only way you have the opportunity to get internet with AT&T to to live within their service area. There are 28 states with no significant AT&T wireline operations, most of their territory is in the Midwest and Southeast as you probably know. In the past 10 years, on road trips I've been through Purchase, NY and Gladwyne, PA, two of the richest zip codes in the nation and they will never have AT&T fiber as AT&T has no presence in New York and Pennsylvania. I've said it before and I'll say it again, here in Upstate NY when you say AT&T, people don't think of landlines, DSL, fiber or IPTV services, they think of a second rate, sub standard, piss poor cell phone provider.

Dish Network-
14 million subscribers in 2014
9.40 million subscribers end of 2019

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I think I’m going to send a card like this to Charlie every quarter :)

IMG_6248.JPG

4.6 million gone that can’t be right I thought people were flocking to dish and dumping direct. It has to be Fake news . Also stay away from Corona Beer .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comp9
It seems the emphasis is on people who have a steady, full-time broadband capability - which usually means a hard-wired connection of some type. But there is a relatively large number of users out there who rely on a cell signal for their internet connection. A lot of those people are mobile people - those who live full-time, or travel extensively, in their RV. Until cell providers start providing truly unlimited data at an affordable cost these people will have to rely on a satellite signal if they want to enjoy their TV shows.

My daughter and her husband have been doing cell only for about 2 years as they were traveling with a big honking 5th wheel. She said that most of the time it just wasn’t a big deal as they could stream via phone or using the phone as a hotspot.

And now that they’ve bought a country home deep in Missouri’s Ozarks, that will be what they have for internet until the low orbit satellite stuff starts going. For TV I suspect they’ll get Dish or ATT, leaning towards ATT because her hubby is really into sports.

But by then Dish will offer 5G in your area and you can stream with AT&T Tv or sling.
any idea what spectrum charlies planning on using for his 5G. t-mo is using low band spectrum and there 5G is crap.. there just reselling what they already have. i have verizons 5G and its crazy fast thanks to the millimeter wave!!! i have it for the home to. i love the fact the wifi extenders have alexa built into them as well!!!

Wireless is not the future. With mmWave ‘5G’ on Verizon and AT&T, you pretty much have to be with in eyesight of a microcell to get those super fast speeds and any little obstacle will decrease your speeds at an alarming rate. Seeing results of T-Mobile’s low band ‘5G’, the speeds are pretty disappointing. It's all physics and there is no way a wireless solution is a suitable replacement for a good wired connection.

Actually, the only way you have the opportunity to get internet with AT&T to to live within their service area. There are 28 states with no significant AT&T wireline operations, most of their territory is in the Midwest and Southeast as you probably know. In the past 10 years, on road trips I've been through Purchase, NY and Gladwyne, PA, two of the richest zip codes in the nation and they will never have AT&T fiber as AT&T has no presence in New York and Pennsylvania. I've said it before and I'll say it again, here in Upstate NY when you say AT&T, people don't think of landlines, DSL, fiber or IPTV services, they think of a second rate, sub standard, piss poor cell phone provider.
verizons whole home modem and router has an antenna that sits outside so it can pick the millimeter waves up. yes my phone goes in 4G lte mode inside. but verizons doing it right in my opinion!!! it's been rumoured that elon musks starlink service will have the capacity of 6G. rumours and speculation for now...

any idea what spectrum charlies planning on using for his 5G. t-mo is using low band spectrum and there 5G is crap.. there just reselling what they already have. i have verizons 5G and its crazy fast thanks to the millimeter wave!!! i have it for the home to. i love the fact the wifi extenders have alexa built into them as well!!!

That was a joke on my part. I still don’t believe Dish is building a 5G network.

Reactions: krynn
That was a joke on my part. I still don’t believe Dish is building a 5G network.
i agree with you with what you said. i do remember t-mo screaming that dish will be getting sprints prepaid customers!!! to be honest i don't know how sprint has lasted this long as there network sucks and has degraded over the years as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts