What will I miss about my vip622

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I miss the OTA tuner. I miss the layout of the channels, which seem more intuitive. Conterbalance that with habitual breakdowns on the Vip and I'll stick with the 2 HR22s.:D

Remember you can get the AM21 add on to add two ATSC tuners to the HR22's at the DirecTV web site.

I miss the VIP's built-in tuner and the ability to run 2 TVs with one reciever.

My Grandpa would have switched to you, D* but you don't have a reciever that can run 2 TVs, why not :confused:. I also missed out on the $50 credit you get for signing someone up.

Oh well, I still like their programming and many other things much better. Hopfully they will up their recievers more.

I miss the VIP's built-in tuner and the ability to run 2 TVs with one reciever.

My Grandpa would have switched to you, D* but you don't have a reciever that can run 2 TVs, why not :confused:. I also missed out on the $50 credit you get for signing someone up.

Oh well, I still like their programming and many other things much better. Hopfully they will up their recievers more.

If the ViPs had 2 HD outputs they would be better.Unfortunately they only have 1 HD output and 1 SD output.So if you need to have HD for 2 HDTVs you will have another DVR fee unless you have the Everything Pak.

I wonder if D*'s slow boxes (compared to the ViPs) is due to insufficient CPU/Memory instead of bad software. Cause after two years the software should be optimized by now. Either that or their developers are just as bad as D*'s contract negotiators.

I think it's a combo of both, but mostly with the bad software. Each software update seems to help a bit for speed wise.

The newer tivos arent speed demons either, but they have improved it.

Netflix and Amazon unbox are very cool on them, but the fact they dont show you ho wmuch recording space you have is a little ludicrous.

So there is no current DirecTV DVR that will record two satellite channels and a third OTA channel at the same time? Thanks.

So there is no current DirecTV DVR that will record two satellite channels and a third OTA channel at the same time? Thanks.

No

This what you can do.

2 OTA
2 Satellite channels
1 OTA and 1 satellite channel

The only 3rd thing that can be going on at the same time is an on demand download.

If the ViPs had 2 HD outputs they would be better.Unfortunately they only have 1 HD output and 1 SD output.So if you need to have HD for 2 HDTVs you will have another DVR fee unless you have the Everything Pak.

Yes when I was investigating what Dish has, if you have a second TV that is HD and would also like a DVR, the monthly price is much higher then Directv (if you have to add an SD package and not just be "Turbo"). Its too bad, I think if the fees were lower on the second HD TV, many would give it a thought I think. Though the current Fox situation does have many dish customers a bit upset

you might miss PIP /dual chanel buffer/ OTA built in / Sling guide (dish.sling.coX) /Recording 3 shows at once.. and about $10-15 missing out of your pocket every month..

Other then that direct caries chanels that dish is lagging on.. i dont regret getting direct tv just wish they wuld figure out all the problems with the HR line and fix it for good...
As well as the 622 user friendlier external hard drive option. With Dish its a addition (expansion) to the DVR with Direct the HD bypasses the DVR and is the only archive. I can access sort term recordings on the 622 DVR and leave the long term recording on the 750 gig 2 externals and I don't have to scroll through GIGs of movies etc to watch someting for 1/2 hour and delete it when done..
Unless that has changed recently it is one of the many reasons above I haven't switched just to get YES and Speed in HD. Now that I get Fox News and Fox Business in HD (finally) I can wait for Speed HD and save a boat load of $$ money to change over 4 HD TVs to Direct.

Plus the OTA pass thru in real 1080 is stupendous for the races and ball games. Just the differance for the Super Bowl alone between Sat to OTA was worth the few programing short falls. We switched back and forth from Sat to OTA to see the difference and it was 14-0 unanimous OTA was 10Xs. I see no PQ difference between the TV tuner and the 622 OTA other than the integrated guide is a lot better from Dish than the stand alone "TV guide" :p on the MITs. Granted the Mitsubishi Tuner is far superior for sensitivity and gets more channels and farther away but a splitter is all I need if I really need to watch the 10 + PBS :p and redundant broadcast stations on OTA

Don't like the light circle?.Press the left arrow and right arrow at the same time on the DVR.There is 3 light settings or off.:)

This. :up

/you have to redo this whenever the box updates itself during the night.
//but then its like a Wii, glowing bright blue the next day like an update message light.

Don't like the light circle?.Press the left arrow and right arrow at the same time on the DVR.There is 3 light settings or off.:)

Off topic, but thanks! I had no idea you could do that. I just turned the light off. Much less distracting!

Breakdowns?????????????????????????

I miss the OTA tuner. I miss the layout of the channels, which seem more intuitive. Conterbalance that with habitual breakdowns on the Vip and I'll stick with the 2 HR22s.:D

I have had both providers. The VIP for out distances anything "D" has. 4 years and counting with mine. Never have had one problem. The PIP feature is an absolute as well as the OTA.

And I understand that the new TIVO/ Direct receiver will not employ that feature. That is a huge mistake.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts