What would an installer do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

steecoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
We have moved yet again & I need to put up the 5LNB dish (I need my HD!) I am normally a die hard do-it-myselfer, but the only place the dish can be mounted with a clear view is at the peak of the roof. I tried to get up there yesterday but its winter & the roof is freakin' slippery. :eek: We are running off of the 3 LNB dish for now, so at least we have the SD channels:rolleyes:

My question is, if I go with the "movers connection" & have them send someone out, do the installers have any special gear to keep from slipping off of the roof or are they gonna tell me I have to wait for warmer weather to thaw the roof some (which I can do it myself then;)!)

My 2nd question is, if I have them come out are they going to insist on hooking up all the TVs while they are here or can I sign off once they get the dish put up & veify that it's pulling in signal on the main HD box. We are "roughing it " right now with just the one TV & the rest are still packed away along with half of my other stuff. The cable guy was here to hook up the internet before we even moved back in & they were fine with letting me hook up the cable modem myself, but I didn't know if the DTV installers are under an obligation to make sure that everything is hooked up to the dish & phone before they leave or if I can hook stuff up as we get settled...

If the only place is on the roof, then you will have to have the roof clear for the installer to get on it and work. You can get one of the propane wands that burn grass to get it clear before hand if there is alot of snow.

The installer is required to make sure the whole system is working before leaving.

If the only place is on the roof, then you will have to have the roof clear for the installer to get on it and work. You can get one of the propane wands that burn grass to get it clear before hand if there is alot of snow.

The installer is required to make sure the whole system is working before leaving.

I will confirm what he said... Installers typically don't have any special equipment for walking on icy roofs.

If he does, I wouldn't let him... when I worked for the HSP up here there was a guy who thought he would get some extra work by using those spiked shoes that go over your boots (that they use to walk on glaciers) and be fine, but it turns out he was tearing up and cracking shingles without knowing it... that turned out to be a mess for the customers and the company.

Unless it is a matter of life and death you probably do not want someone on your roof... However I may suggest scheduling the appt for a mover's connect anyhow... you never know when it just might be clear on the roof the day he comes out or even this... installers can often find a line of site that you didn't even think of before.

:DMy beloved HD is back:D I finally got my dish put back up today:up
I cleared a path to the peak of the roof a little by little with the hour or so of daylight I had left after work each day during the week & today was cold as a sumbich but at least it was dry up there. I bolted down the mast & then hauled up the dish & threw the meter on it & it was pretty well still locked in from before. When it's warm again I will have to tweek the signal but most transponders are in the 80s & 90s with some in the 70s, but WOOHOO I feel like a real human again with the HD Channels.

I even have 2 new HD channels - COMEDY CENTRAL HD & my PBS is now HD.

all is right with the world again:p

:DMy beloved HD is back:D I finally got my dish put back up today:up
I cleared a path to the peak of the roof a little by little with the hour or so of daylight I had left after work each day during the week & today was cold as a sumbich but at least it was dry up there. I bolted down the mast & then hauled up the dish & threw the meter on it & it was pretty well still locked in from before. When it's warm again I will have to tweek the signal but most transponders are in the 80s & 90s with some in the 70s, but WOOHOO I feel like a real human again with the HD Channels.

I even have 2 new HD channels - COMEDY CENTRAL HD & my PBS is now HD.

all is right with the world again:p

Good job!

Your post is a great clarification of the question why stuff takes more time in winter.
I remember calling a customer to confirm cancellation of an installation due to a little local blizzard and the customer's response was, "if you hurry you can get here before they close the roads."

With the advent on the new boxes that will lock if not tuned perfectly on the first attempt (another idiot plan IMHO) I predict installations being rescheduled for cloudy skies.

Good one!

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)