What would make you happy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok so now what?

So now that we know what we want. The next question is how do we get it. This isnt a E* vs D* thread...the last time I was involved in one of those Scott had to spank everyone and send them to their rooms.

Ive seen some threads where individuals have written to ATSC. I think thats great and we shold continue to do so.

As for another front to HD lite I have some ideas and lets see if you guys agree on the feasablilty of them working.

I am a complete novice when it comes to satellite and television techonology. So you can imagine my shock when after purchasing a new HDTV I cam across HD Lite.

I splurged on the new set and thought the pic doesnt look as eye popping as it did in the store and so I floated though the net and found out about HD lite AFTER committing to D* for two years. (Funny they didnt mention that the HD package wasnt HD!) If I owned a restaurant and had filet on the menu and a guy comes in and spends $35.00 on the meal..and I give him a hamburger and say sorry my chef cant make filet..but its better than a hotdog. Im thinking that guy is going to be a lil angry...not to mention if he subscribed to my filet for two years package plan. And now the guy knows that he is paying me $35.00 a month and now he is getting hamburger for two years I might have to hire people to start my car for me.

I bet there are hundreds of thousands of consumers out there who were just as uniformed. Ok thats nice for lied to. If you think lie is too harsh I dont.

Here in Boston one of the locals, has a consumer affairs portion of the news program. Kinda like a whistle blowing portion..or if you have trouble with a particular company you write her and she helps you out. The portion is called ask Hank, [/url]http://www1.whdh.com/newsteam/?id=19[/url].

Imagine every day people at home who bought there ultra expensive HD sets
and this pops on telling them that the picture in the store isnt the same as it is at home because Satellite companys downgrade the resolution. And that even though they charge you for an HD signal its not what you are getting. (Hell I was shocked and mad)

The second idea is to partner up with Verizon. From what I understand they are distributing their HD signal in full HD resolution. Im sure that they would gain more customers to their FIOS product if D* and E* were not able to use the HD label for a product which isnt HD. While FIOS is very limited in their market areas they are trying to make inroads and marketing campaign showing why they are better than E* and D* would help.

As for more channels Im not sure D* and E* can produce them right now.(If they could why wouldnt they have distributed them already)

However, after saying that I do want a plan from D* and E* to communicate better with us. Let us know their plans...approximate timetable etc.

Im a RE Developer I hate giving time tables. Because a lot of times there are factors out of my control that cause delays. But an approximate timetable would be nice. Yeah we know D* is sending up two sats in 07 but what does that mean? Does that mean once MPEG4 is the industry standard that there will be no more down rezing? Does that mean bamn once the sats are up we will instantly get all the HD channels out there?

I want feed back...lemme know if this may work or if Im a moron. Or C all of the above.

Last edited:
Boston,

you are not a moron. you seem pretty educated and level headed to me.

the problem with the two satcasters comes down to capacity on the satellites. it isn't an evil plot. it is capacity, nothing more. directv just blasted up two of the most complex, costly and technologically advanced sats ever built for commercial communications. dish is shooting one up this week or next. directv also has two more ready to go the end of this year or early 2007. they are trying. they are not in business to piss off customers .

the two companies also look to the future differently. dish is working on national channels first and directv is betting on the locals first. I'm an installing tech for directv and the biggest bitch i hear is 90% of my customers want locals in hd. to watch the local sports and news and the network shows in hd.myself, i think directv is doing it right. that is only one persons opine.

dish network has its fans on here and they are as loyal to them as i am to directv. BTW i had directv since 1998, i didn't start with them until 2000, so dont think that it is just a career thing. the hd service voom went or was going under and dish picked up its programming. there are no locals , no "mainstream" sports (sorry soccer fans) and none of the big 4 networks either. these people see this picture and programming as "the best" around. some of them want directv to pick it up also, that WONT happen.

my advice to you is wait until the spaceway sats are both on line and in mpeg4, directv will add channels. they would be foolish not to. as far as right now, the vast majority of us are sd subs , they cant just start taking our programming away. we are the ones that are providing the $$$$$ to finance the switch out.

hope i answered some of your questions.

go steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get any OTA HD, but I do get all four of the NY HD network feeds from D*.
I'd like CinemaxHD, StarzHD, maybe even EncoreHD.....
Also NGHD, TNTHD, etc

dragon..that seems fair enough to me. Wait and see to what happens when all four sats are up and running and then make a decision then.

Go Steelers I will be in Vegas on Thursday and will be wagering a lil on your team

charper1 said:
AHHH nice one, ad al la cart to my list as well! Forgot about that old c-band chestnut!

TBS is a local area only OTA indy in the ATL area right? Maybe on that area's cable cos but not up for mass marketing.

Why shouldn't I get TBS HD? I get TBS SD now, that's what I get the Braves on every summer.
:confused:

Yep. I would like that in HD as well. Between those two and my East and West coast feeds I could get a lot of HD baseball!!!! :D

dragon002 said:
Boston,

you are not a moron. you seem pretty educated and level headed to me.

the problem with the two satcasters comes down to capacity on the satellites. it isn't an evil plot. it is capacity, nothing more. directv just blasted up two of the most complex, costly and technologically advanced sats ever built for commercial communications. dish is shooting one up this week or next. directv also has two more ready to go the end of this year or early 2007. they are trying. they are not in business to piss off customers .

the two companies also look to the future differently. dish is working on national channels first and directv is betting on the locals first. I'm an installing tech for directv and the biggest bitch i hear is 90% of my customers want locals in hd. to watch the local sports and news and the network shows in hd.myself, i think directv is doing it right. that is only one persons opine.

dish network has its fans on here and they are as loyal to them as i am to directv. BTW i had directv since 1998, i didn't start with them until 2000, so dont think that it is just a career thing. the hd service voom went or was going under and dish picked up its programming. there are no locals , no "mainstream" sports (sorry soccer fans) and none of the big 4 networks either. these people see this picture and programming as "the best" around. some of them want directv to pick it up also, that WONT happen.

my advice to you is wait until the spaceway sats are both on line and in mpeg4, directv will add channels. they would be foolish not to. as far as right now, the vast majority of us are sd subs , they cant just start taking our programming away. we are the ones that are providing the $$$$$ to finance the switch out.

hope i answered some of your questions.

go steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not talk about bandwidth/capacity when D* puts on CDUSA in HD, if they had room for that they had room for TNT HD.

And if your customers want local HD tell them to install an antenna, They won't lose the locals when it rains, and they won't get HD lite, and yes I am a D* customer who has been promised more HD for two years now.

Last edited:
leww37334 said:
Please do not talk about bandwidth/capacity when D* puts on CDUSA in HD, if they had room for that they had room for TNT HD.

And if your customers want local HD tell them to install an antenna, They won't lose the locals when it rains, and they won't get HD lite, and yes I am a D* customer who has been promised more HD for two years now.

:( And if we can't get locals reliably OTA? And we can't get waivers? And we don't live in an O & O market? I think DTV is going about it the right way. Maybe just a little bit too slow.

Maybe they should throw us a couple bones, like TNT HD and National Geographic HD. Get rid of CD USA.

Just my $.02.

leww37334 said:
Please do not talk about bandwidth/capacity when D* puts on CDUSA in HD, if they had room for that they had room for TNT HD..
Not really. They shut off HD PPV while CD USA is on.

Not necesarily because they have to, but because they know we would bitch to high heaven if they though they had thebandwidth to add more channels.:D

1. I'm seriously jonesing for the Home Media Center server/client setup. This would make things a lot slicker for our household.

2. TNT HD, National Geographic HD, HGNW-HD for the wife.

3. Transmit full bandwidth HD.

A free HD tivo (for free)
I called cust retention and was told that after March 01 current customers will be able to lease a unit with no money up front.Of course you wouldnt own the unit but you would get replacements for nothing if it craps out. Personally I have like 3 or 4 extra GAEBOT's up in my attic and 4 OLD dish rcvrs there too becasue every time I bought a house I got new gear installed for free and kept the oldones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

2 LNB Para todos dish and HD

The Truth about DirecTV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts