What would you do?

What would you do?

• Commend the Tech for saving the planet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
RE the poll: How would you respond if the tech mentioned during the mandatory pre call to verify the appointment that there would be a fifty dollar surcharge payable to him before the FREE installation could proceed?

Joe

My response would be something like, "Thanks for the call, however it's best to not bother coming out."
I'd then call DirecTV and ask what the heck that was all about.
;)

My response would be something like, "Thanks for the call, however it's best to not bother coming out."
I'd then call DirecTV and ask what the heck that was all about.
;)

In the past that happened occasionally,

It went something like, "customer must have pole in concrete + 100ft cable dig in + insisted upon cavity work for two receivers + wanted three mirror TVs from the club room. Was presented custom labor estimate of $400.00 above FREE installation service."

Then Directv would tell the customer they were under no obligation to use the installer for the extra work; they could do it themselves or hire someone else to do it.

Now the bid to do the FREE installation for Directv needs to go up. IF Directv declines that bid they can do it themselves (which they are trying) or find others to do the installations (they have been doing that also but the turn over of techs has made quality circling the bowel.)

Most techs discover they have been working for free and quit. The next step is paying for the position of dish installation tech.

Joe

Joe Diamond said:
In the past that happened occasionally,

It went something like, "customer must have pole in concrete + 100ft cable dig in + insisted upon cavity work for two receivers + wanted three mirror TVs from the club room. Was presented custom labor estimate of $400.00 above FREE installation service."

Then Directv would tell the customer they were under no obligation to use the installer for the extra work; they could do it themselves or hire someone else to do it.

Now the bid to do the FREE installation for Directv needs to go up. IF Directv declines that bid they can do it themselves (which they are trying) or find others to do the installations (they have been doing that also but the turn over of techs has made quality circling the bowel.)

Most techs discover they have been working for free and quit. The next step is paying for the position of dish installation tech.

Joe

My response was in regard to your question. Not the scenario you described.

Actually that is how it has been since day one,

And my installation routine involved identifying as many possible extra charges as possible in advance. The FREE standard installation is not pretty in many cases. It was payment of custom work fees that balanced the books. As an example; tacking cable to a baseboard is FREE but running cable inside wall cavities is not. Always the customer has the choice.

We are now at the point where someone has to choose to pay for moving the truck up and down the road. As I note the number of commercials on most Directv channels and note Directv profits going up I suggest it is time for Directv to get off some installation cash.

Joe

Really? There has been a fee that is payable before the installation and the installer would let you know that when calling? I would still tell them to go fly a kite since they have not even seen what the install would entail yet. I can see you mention it after you see what would be needed and what the free install would not cover. But before you are even on site I call bull.

If notes are on the order when i get it then i'll let the customer know about possible charges with i do my ETA call but when i do custom work they pay for the work and the labor pole install with 20' of cable and concrete $75 and labor $50 hr then anything over 20' i charge a dollar a foot

SatGuyGa said:
If notes are on the order when i get it then i'll let the customer know about possible charges with i do my ETA call but when i do custom work they pay for the work and the labor pole install with 20' of cable and concrete $75 and labor $50 hr then anything over 20' i charge a dollar a foot

So you charge $125 for a pole mount ?
While others do it for free ?

Wouldn't you think that D* would have standard rates that apply everywhere, or at the very least your company you work for ?

You arbitrarilly make your prices ?
Charge whatever you want ?

If she's Hot, it's free ?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Could they fit a stack of refurb receivers and a 3-4 dishes for the days installs in the back of that thing.

I don't care what a service man drives, but I bet that most service men care what they drive.

So you charge $125 for a pole mount ?
While others do it for free ?

Wouldn't you think that D* would have standard rates that apply everywhere, or at the very least your company you work for ?

You arbitrarilly make your prices ?
Charge whatever you want ?

If she's Hot, it's free ?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

If the pole mount is necessary for LOS then he can't charge for it. If it's customer choice then he can. I want to know how he gets away charging a buck a foot for cable (that costs 6-8¢ a foot) when the install includes up to 50' per receiver. I can tell you right now I sure as hell wouldn't pay that, and I'd be on the phone with his boss and D* before I signed off.

No because he's charging $50 an hour for the labor. So that would mean he's double charging for something that in most cases he shouldn't be charging for at all.

Actually Directv does have a standard rate for custom work,

But since they do not involve themselves in the dealings of contractors...the list is only a suggestion/. Conditions change around the country. So contractors are free (should be) to present a bid for work. Customers are (should be) free to reject it and hire someone else.

Should Directv choose to pay for materials and labor to establish a customer...it is in their best interest to do so. Contractors should be paid for materials and labor they expend in behalf of Directv.

FREE....what is that?

And, it goes without saying, ...if she is hot...it is...you know...the F word.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts