What Would You Folks Do

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wyatt9696

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
hey there all. here's my situation. i recently had the at9 and 2 h20's installed. i had a 20inch toshiba lcd tv for 1 h20 and an analog sony wega for the other set. i hadn't planned on upgrading the wega for a while, but i ran into what i thought to be a really good deal. i was in the local circuit city, and they had a 50" panasonic plasma, as an open box item. it's my belief, that it was their demo. i had them turn on the set, everything looked great. after hooking it up at my home, and having a chance to watch it, i noticed some image burn in from circuit city's video loop that runs all the sets in the store. the only time i saw it, was up close, and only if the set faded to grey. most people wouldn't ever notice, because you can't see it viewing the set during normal viewing. my question is: would you bring it back, and get a refund, or would you ask for more money off the set? i got the set at well below the retail cost if new. any input would be great. thanks.

I think it depends on how much you spent. If you are talking several thousand, I sure as heck wouldnt want a flawed plasma even if I saved a thousand dollars. If you got it for a grand, then heck I would deal with it. Just my thought process. Sometimes a deal isnt one if you still spent alot.

I would have that TV unplugged and returned within an hour of noticing it :)

Thats just me though, once I noticed that problem I would never be able to get it out of my head..

guffy1 said:
I would have that TV unplugged and returned within an hour of noticing it :)

Thats just me though, once I noticed that problem I would never be able to get it out of my head..
I agree. Return it.

I was under the impression something could be done to *reset* plasma tvs to rid them of any sort of burned in image, and I could swear I read some plasma propaganda that said it didn't happen to begin with :p

In any event if you cannot do anything to get rid of the burn in I would return that thing TODAY.

There are a few tricks you can try that are over in another HT forum. Most are hit and miss at most, and All plasmas can suffer burn in. More easily that CRT RP in my experance. Alot of companies that installed Plasma displays are replacing them quickly. they will also lose 1/2 their brightness in the 1st 2 years of service. If CC had it running all day with the brightness cranked up (as the usually do) then your could be 6 mouths from the 1/2 brightness death age. Return the sucker!!!

Depending on the deal you got, if you really like the TV, then try operating it with lots of motion on the screen for several hours. See if that helps. Plasma can suffer temporary burn-in from loops, but sometimes they can go away after a while.

i have thirty days. i went there today and the manager said he'd never had a burn in problem with a plasma set. i said i found it hard to believe. then he got a bit of a tude with me. i said, c'mon i'll pick a tv for you to show what i'm talking about. he said it wasn't necessary for me to show him. he then asked me what i wanted to do abouit this. i said either it gets fixed, or it comes back. he then said i didn't have the extended warranty, just the manufacturer's. i said, so what, i just got it yesterday. he said he'd get a hold of the service manager and have him call me tomorrow. thanks for all the responses. i'll let you all know how it goes.

LCDs suffer instead from burn-out or "stuck-on" pixels. The manufacturers are quick to point-out that a "few" defective pixels won't cause them to take any action, i.e., they're a normal artifact of the manufacturing process so you're "stuck" with them. You might have a case depending on the quantity and location.

I have a 40" Bravia that I'm watching VERY closely for either of these defects. So far on mine I've detected only 1 "weak" pixel (new category?) - it's a green one that's OK except for high brightness events when it's not quite as bright as its red and blue companions, thus making that group appear more red than the rest in an area that is otherwise white. I noticed it after I had the set about 2 weeks - it might have been there from the start but since it's tough to spot (bright scenes and only when I'm about 2' or less away, and it's in the periphery) I just might not have seen it right away. But that one has greatly sensitized me to the possibly for others, so I'm really looking out for them! So far in about 3 additional months there have been no other defects spotted. I believe these are more "infant" motalities with LCDs anyway (based on my other computer experiences) vs. wear-out that is further away for LCDs vs, plasmas anyway, so maybe that will be my only problem child in my HD playpen...! (fingers crossed!)

well i was going to ask if u had bought their warranty, since u dident the manager is right, ur stuck going through the manufacturer, (makes me wonder if maybe thats why they unloaded it onto you for so cheep bc they knew it had that burn in). I normaly try and advoid demo sets for that reason. if for some reason they dont make it good with you, i'd take it up with your attorney general, since this sounds like a lemon law thing to me. and maybe you arent the only one in ur area or state that cc has done this to. keep us posted. if cc is wise, they will exchange it for a new unit, and send the one (they caused) the damage to back to the manufacture for repair, and resell it again, or will claim its defective and get their money back from the manufacturer. eiterh way KEEP US UPDATED! i dident think cc was like that, now best buy on the outher hand in ohio is widely know for screwing customers.

herdfan said:
Modern plasma TV have a half-life of around 60,000 hours. That's almost 7 years of 24/7 use. At that point the display is half as bright as it was when new.

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

I have a new plasma and mine says the same thing... half brightness at 60,000 hours that's why I posted it. Two years that would be a whole hell of a lot of tv viewing!!

Update

thanks for all the responses. you've all helped. it started eating at me over the last 2 days. i called the sales manager, and they took back the set w/o a hitch. i ended up buying a brand new sony R50XBR1 SXRD. it actually was less then the panny plasma that i returned, and imo the pq is much better. i'm thrilled with this set. the sales manager was a super cool dude, vs. the dept manager i originally spoke with. he said he'd do whatever it took to make me happy. yeah!!! happy ending.:D

That's good to hear. SXRDs look great, good choice! I once got a crappy Toshiba CRT HDTV at BB, and took it back the next day. I then got a Sony for less, and it looks MUCH better.

bhelms said:
LCDs suffer instead from burn-out or "stuck-on" pixels. The manufacturers are quick to point-out that a "few" defective pixels won't cause them to take any action, i.e., they're a normal artifact of the manufacturing process so you're "stuck" with them. You might have a case depending on the quantity and location.

I have a 40" Bravia that I'm watching VERY closely for either of these defects. So far on mine I've detected only 1 "weak" pixel (new category?) - it's a green one that's OK except for high brightness events when it's not quite as bright as its red and blue companions, thus making that group appear more red than the rest in an area that is otherwise white. I noticed it after I had the set about 2 weeks - it might have been there from the start but since it's tough to spot (bright scenes and only when I'm about 2' or less away, and it's in the periphery) I just might not have seen it right away. But that one has greatly sensitized me to the possibly for others, so I'm really looking out for them! So far in about 3 additional months there have been no other defects spotted. I believe these are more "infant" motalities with LCDs anyway (based on my other computer experiences) vs. wear-out that is further away for LCDs vs, plasmas anyway, so maybe that will be my only problem child in my HD playpen...! (fingers crossed!)

My Toshiba 37HL95 arrived with ZERO stuck pixels, and in forums with other owners, that is the common experience. I believe the manufacturers have done a pretty good job dealing with these issues. Anyway, all the LCD advantages led me to get one: 1) less heavy, 2) less fragile than plasma, 3) less energy use, 4) no burn-in issue, 5) and the new LCDs have sufficient refresh rates to overcome the old "fade with motion" issues. Also, while expensive, you can replace the backlight on the LCD TVs. The only advantage remaining for the plasmas (besides cost) is the better handling of black levels (but that advantage is fading fast as well).

Status
Please reply by conversation.