What You Need To Know About Heartbleed, the New Security Bug Scaring the Internet

What You Need To Know About Heartbleed, the New Security Bug Scaring the Inte...

On the "Security Now" podcast on the TWiT network, Steve Gibson went into this in detail. Since the data returned from a server could contain almost anything, speeding to get the servers patched is Job 1. Not all sites were affected (IIS doesn't use the OpenSSL code) but enough do. If you reuse passwords on several sites, you would be wise to update it on those sites that have patched their servers.

Here's the link to the podcast: http://twit.tv/show/security-now/450
And the transcript (Heartbleed coverage starts on page 12) https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-450.pdf

—Roland

Last edited:
What You Need To Know About Heartbleed, the New Security Bug Scaring the Inte...

SSLLabs (http://SSLLabs.com) has a tool to check the websites you might visit to see if they are vulnerable or have patched. (The freakin' ads that pop up on the SatelliteGuys app make it impossible to add a photo to a posted entry.) So, a new post to show the SSLLabs scan of this website:
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1397230826.029381.jpg
—Roland

Are you on an iphone? If yes a new ad free version of the SatelliteGuys reader has been sent to apple, I am just waiting for them to release it. :)

Are you on an iphone? If yes a new ad free version of the SatelliteGuys reader has been sent to apple, I am just waiting for them to release it. :)
I'm using my wife's iPad Air. My iPhone has the app, but I was able to log in on that for Web View so I don't get bombarded with the ads.

—Roland

I updated my Raspberry PI last night.

For those running SSL services on Mac OS X, according to my check, the OpenSSL version is not vulnerable:
Code:
server:downloads jkotches$ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013
server:downloads jkotches$

v1.0 < 1.0g are vulnerable.

Last edited:
And for why it wasn't found, the OpenSSL foundation guys also say it's due to lack of manpower. This was stated in a post to the OpenSSL users mailing list. I can get the exact message-id/quote if needed.

With complex software, it's easy for little things to escape notice.

Crypto software is HARD, folks.

And for why it wasn't found, the OpenSSL foundation guys also say it's due to lack of manpower. This was stated in a post to the OpenSSL users mailing list. I can get the exact message-id/quote if needed.

With complex software, it's easy for little things to escape notice.

Crypto software is HARD, folks.

Well that plus it was just like 4 volunteers working on the project. It was not being maintained by a company with software testing and review procedures.

It is one of the problems of open source code. People believe it to be safe since it is open source. But, that makes the grand assumption that people actually study it and review it instead of perhaps just giving it a glance to be sure it is not doing something really evil and deploying it. So, it took 2 years for someone to notice this...

2011 Mac Mini random crashing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts