What's available in hardware?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
What is available and what do folks recommend to get or stay away from these days in PC satellite tuners? I know there are some PCI cards out there. Anything in PCIe? How about outboard tuners that connect via USB? I am a Linux user, so I'd need something that has Linux drivers available.

I know there are lots of audio codecs available, so with a PC card, things like AC3 shouldn't be a problem, right?

Thanks.

Being Linux only, that cuts the field down. Dvbworld has just released their DVB-S2 PCIE2005, Pci-e and with a linux driver, don't know anything about it and haven't read of anyone using one yet. Dvbworld also has/had a usb-s2 box that had linux drivers but I don't see it on their site anymore.
Digital Everywhere makes the Firedtv, Floppydtv devices, I"ve seen a Linux driver on their site.
As for AC3, yes, really no problem with that on a computer.

FWIW, I use a Geniatech DVB-S DigiStar PCI card with Linux.

* No TSReader Lite support
* DVB-S only
* I haven't tried the remote input with LIRC
* PCI obviously, not PCIe
* MythTV struggles to lock some stuff that the cli tools can easily scan
* I haven't had any luck with 4:2:2 under MythTV, but mplayer works fine. I need to test this again with the latest trunk code which seems to have 4:2:2 sprinkled in a number of places.

Even though some DVB-S cards are cheap on eBay ($32.39 shipped), I don't know if that exact board is supported by v4l-dvb. My board is closer to $60 online. I think the TechnoTrend S2-3200 would be a better investment now and appears to have driver support under Linux. Search for 'stb0899' to get more information.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)