What's Happening With Circuit City

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Having had VOOM for over a month now thought I would get my Home Theater checked out since I have an existing service contract. Called Circuit City Repair and after many menus got a person who said that "Good Guys" would handle the call and would contact me. Has Good Guys bought Circuit City? What's going on? Any similar experiences?

I heard something about them closing stores and I think they are having financial problems. The one in my town only has about 10 people in there everytime I'm there. (that's busy) I don't know why because I always get good service there and can actually get to the things I want unlike best buy...there are usually so many people there it's like a circus.

briansanders007 said:
I heard something about them closing stores and I think they are having financial problems. The one in my town only has about 10 people in there everytime I'm there. (that's busy) I don't know why because I always get good service there and can actually get to the things I want unlike best buy...there are usually so many people there it's like a circus.

I live in Nashville TN and we have at least 2 Circuit Cities and the one near me on the north end of Nashville seems to still be doing good. I hope it continues to thrive because I bought a Sony Vaio Lap Top (very expensive) about a year ago and I have the extended warranty. So I'm afraid that if they fold my extended warranty might go with them.

I have already had to send it in once for a new mother board which I found out on the web that it was inherent of my particular model GRX-570. So if you hear anything about them closing stores please IM or email me.

One other thing my particular warranty was handled by Kemper go figure that. I didn't know that Kemper was in the small electronics insurance business.

I called a service guy I know tonight who works for Circuit City. He wasn't in but I left a message. Will talk to him tomorrow and see what's happening and post it here.

I would not read into it. I know here in Wa state circut city closed there repair center two years ago and farm all work to Good guys repair center here.
I believe CC farms out their repair work to cut down on costs with running repair center.

Good guys of Northern California is not financialy stable enough to buy a gas station.

The CC store in Omaha closed a couple of month back. It was reported here that this was part of a bunch of CC stores taht were closed by the company.

Followup on Circuit City: I called the 800 service number again (888-333-2333) and after following many menus into oblivion got the right department. Their menu asks if the service is regarding a TV or other product. First time I pushed TV and when someone finally came on the line they told me that I don't have a TV but a Home Theater which is considered "other product." I went back through the menu and pushed "other product". A recording gave me a few more choices and soon they were wanting to repair my JVC DVD player instead of my Home Theater. I looked on my service manual and it says Hitachi Projection Color TV so next time I punched TV again. Got a whole new set of menus and at the end got a person who set up a service call for me. I then asked about the "Good Guys" reference the earlier person had given me. He had no idea of what I was talking about. I told him that they not only said "Good Guys" would come out for the service call but gave me the number of the Good Guys Service Center here. (714-562-1414) othewise how would I have the number? Who was I talking to? Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone??? A Good Guys undercover agent in Circuit City?? Still can't figure it out. Anyway, this morning the service guy called and is coming over today. I asked him if he was from Good Guys or Circuit City. He said he was from Circuit City and he had no idea why someone at the service center told me Good Guys would make the service call.

Good thing it was routine lens & mirror cleaning and not something else more critical. Thought I would clear this up. Yeah, it's clear as mud.

Have a good day!

The CC in Novi is packed everytime we go in there, I mean PACKED.

For such an up and coming area its suprising the nearbest BB is over 20 minutes away in crappy traffic.

Never shopped at CC, but since we moved buy all of our stuff there for the most part. We have a BB in Brighton, MI but that store is so small they don't carry half of the stuff the others do. Good thing is, those awesome rebate deals that seem to sell out at 11am at all the other BB's hang around till 5pm there.

stratguy said:
I live in Nashville TN and we have at least 2 Circuit Cities and the one near me on the north end of Nashville seems to still be doing good. I hope it continues to thrive because I bought a Sony Vaio Lap Top (very expensive) about a year ago and I have the extended warranty. So I'm afraid that if they fold my extended warranty might go with them.

I have already had to send it in once for a new mother board which I found out on the web that it was inherent of my particular model GRX-570. So if you hear anything about them closing stores please IM or email me.

One other thing my particular warranty was handled by Kemper go figure that. I didn't know that Kemper was in the small electronics insurance business.

That's funny I bought the exact same laptop...I didn't sign up for the extra warranty and the screen crapped out. now I have a slim desktop since I have to use an ext monitor. :mad:

Tvlman said:
Followup on Circuit City: I called the 800 service number again (888-333-2333) and after following many menus into oblivion got the right department. Their menu asks if the service is regarding a TV or other product. First time I pushed TV and when someone finally came on the line they told me that I don't have a TV but a Home Theater which is considered "other product." I went back through the menu and pushed "other product". A recording gave me a few more choices and soon they were wanting to repair my JVC DVD player instead of my Home Theater. I looked on my service manual and it says Hitachi Projection Color TV so next time I punched TV again. Got a whole new set of menus and at the end got a person who set up a service call for me. I then asked about the "Good Guys" reference the earlier person had given me. He had no idea of what I was talking about. I told him that they not only said "Good Guys" would come out for the service call but gave me the number of the Good Guys Service Center here. (714-562-1414) othewise how would I have the number? Who was I talking to? Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone??? A Good Guys undercover agent in Circuit City?? Still can't figure it out. Anyway, this morning the service guy called and is coming over today. I asked him if he was from Good Guys or Circuit City. He said he was from Circuit City and he had no idea why someone at the service center told me Good Guys would make the service call.

Good thing it was routine lens & mirror cleaning and not something else more critical. Thought I would clear this up. Yeah, it's clear as mud.

Have a good day!

Weird, Circuit City have a large repair facilty in in City of Industry, I used to work for the Good Guys and know there is no way they could buy C. City. Good Guy's repair center is in Buena Park.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts