What's happening with the Sat Launch?

When the plan is to put new capacity up, and your paths to get new capacity up are both blocked, there isn't much you can do.

D* was lucky that they got their birds up last year.

Also on a + side for the upcoming D* launch, SeaLaunch shot another bird up prior to this one.

I think ILS has two failures in a row.

Also, it is important to understand that anything less than having the satellite in its intended orbit is a launch failure.

They launched 6 since the last failure.

Like i said earlier. If the end result is having to use booster to move into proper orbit, and losing 7 years of life, I dont think it is a complete disaster. That gives it 7 years of life and plenty of time to think of a plan to not only replace this bird but your overall coverage as well.

Especially since it is not E's bird.

I would think the company that owns the satelite not Charlie/E* will decide what the next step will be. The new sat owner must have insurance against failure and they could even make a decision to destroy the sat and start over. I do hope that they can make it work for all the E* customers that have stood by E* waiting to get more HD and LIL's.

You guys crack me up.. And you must not know Charlie. Yes it's a setback for the moment. But it is not the end of DISH.. Charlie will find a way to turn this into a win.

Well, I can understand the reaction of most of the posters, but I actually agree with you. Lemons into lemonade is Charlie's specialty.

I actually feel sorry for him and would like to stay with Dish if Charlie tries to add some national HD. I guess I just feel sorry for the unlucky among us (although, of course, I should only be as "unlucky" as Charlie).

Right now, Dish is my best option. FIOS and CV don't have the HD channels and D*'s dish is unusable, at least as long as the dearth of competent local installers continues.

Perhaps Charlie can manage to meet us halfway when it comes to channel additions.

Frankly, I would guess that most of Dish's subscribers didn't even know a satellite was launched and don't care that the effort failed.

Sorry to here about this for Dish. I guess "SOON" takes on a whole new meaning. Glad I did not wait around on Dish, still would like them to do well as competition to keep the HD war going. Now would be a good time to buy Dish Network, someone may get it cheap.

Well, I can understand the reaction of most of the posters, but I actually agree with you. Lemons into lemonade is Charlie's specialty.

I actually feel sorry for him and would like to stay with Dish if Charlie tries to add some national HD. I guess I just feel sorry for the unlucky among us (although, of course, I should only be as "unlucky" as Charlie).

Right now, Dish is my best option. FIOS and CV don't have the HD channels and D*'s dish is unusable, at least as long as the dearth of competent local installers continues.

Perhaps Charlie can manage to meet us halfway when it comes to channel additions.

Frankly, I would guess that most of Dish's subscribers didn't even know a satellite was launched and don't care that the effort failed.

Not only are you right about most customers not knowing there was a satellite launch scheduled, most Dish Customers I have don't even know that there is a deficit in HD Channels compared to DirecTV. Most of my customers are happily watching their Dish System with no complaints. The term fat,dumb and happy comes to mind..

You guys crack me up.. And you must not know Charlie. Yes it's a setback for the moment. But it is not the end of DISH.. Charlie will find a way to turn this into a win.

First of all, we know that the addition of a few more HD channels is possible with their current capacity. Dish has not added them do to contract negotiations (i.e. they are charging too much). Ironically, if the content providers perceive limited HD slots on Dish now, they will be more motivated to close a deal with Dish and get their programming locked in. In the short term, I can see how this failure will causes Dish (Charlie, us!) to get a better deal, and that is one way he can turn this into a win. Ofcourse lots of the HD content promised will likely suffer from this, but adding a little extra content from certain key providers would sure help soften the blow!

This is good news. Although, we don't even have separation yet so there could be issues even with that. I wonder what impact a lower orbit would have on the birds capability to broadcast to certain areas. I think any kind of salvation would be good at this point.

I don't think a lower orbit would be geo-stationary. I could be wrong.

Not only are you right about most customers not knowing there was a satellite launch scheduled, most Dish Customers I have don't even know that there is a deficit in HD Channels compared to DirecTV. Most of my customers are happily watching their Dish System with no complaints. The term fat,dumb and happy comes to mind..

I understand what you're saying but I would hesitate to use the term "dumb" (or "fat", for that matter, hits too close to home). Just people who are not that focused on TV (hey, I'm sure Richard Feynman didn't spend too much time in front of the tube, and he was about as far from dumb as you can get. :) ).

That may not last that long is more and more channels do what SciFi's been doing putting a bug up saying available in HD on their programs.

Have a 722 install scheduled for Tuesday, might have to cancel and use $99 of the $125 to go with D*, since new HD from E* aint looking too good right now. Even went thru ceo@echostar.com to get this set up, but gotta do what is good for me as far as HD goes.

I understand what you're saying but I would hesitate to use the term "dumb" (or "fat", for that matter, hits too close to home). Just people who are not that focused on TV (hey, I'm sure Richard Feynman didn't spend too much time in front of the tube, and he was about as far from dumb as you can get. :) ).

Well the term fat, dumb, and happy is just a metaphor for people out there that don't really care about any of this. They are just watching tv and would only care if they lost what they had now. They are not studying what might happen. No disrespect was intended to anyone. But in truth only the tech savy really are watching this situation. And that is in reality just a very small percentage.

I would think the company that owns the satelite not Charlie/E* will decide what the next step will be. The new sat owner must have insurance against failure and they could even make a decision to destroy the sat and start over. I do hope that they can make it work for all the E* customers that have stood by E* waiting to get more HD and LIL's.

I saw in another post that reviewed the options, slingshot around the moon, use the satellites internal engine to raise the orbit or just deorbit. A number of times they chose to just deorbit the satellite so they could collect the insurance money as a full loss. If they did put into orbit and use it then while they'd get some insurance money it wouldn't be the full cost of the satellite.

That may not last that long is more and more channels do what SciFi's been doing putting a bug up saying available in HD on their programs.

Well, I will again say that this all depends on who you are.. A lot of my customers don't even know SCI-FI channel exist, much less that there is an HD Channel available. Now if they were to loose ESPN 1 or 2, then they would be screaming.. From the south down here, Sports is king for most of my customers.

Well, I will again say that this all depends on who you are.. A lot of my customers don't even know SCI-FI channel exist, much less that there is an HD Channel available. Now if they were to loose ESPN 1 or 2, then they would be screaming.. From the south down here, Sports is king for most of my customers.

I said if more and more channels do what SciFi's doing, not just limted it to SciFi.

OK, I'll make is simple for you, USA, FX, Speed, Spike, CNBC, CNN, TWC, Sho Too, Starz Kids, Starz Comedy ... start putting a bug up saying this program is available in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)