Whats in your garden?

No outdoor garden. We have way too many trees around to provide enough sun to grow anything reliably.

I do have a hydoponic Basil plant growing in a vase full of water on the kitchen window sill. Basically, I purchased this sprig of Basil from Whole Foods, stuck it in water and it's been growing and blooming bigger and bigger ever since. It's the gift that keeps on giving! We pick off fresh basil every time a recipe calls for and it replenishes itself all over again. Truly amazing....

Our backyard is wooded so we only have a 15' x 9' area that gets sun. HOA rules don't let us plant anything on the sides or front.

7 Large 30" terracotta pots on the back deck wtih: sweet basil, rosemary, sage, spearmint, Meyer Lemon, lemon and regular oregano, chives, garlic (amazed at how well garlic grows in potting soil/top soil mix in a container)

In the garden:
Italian parsley, cilantro (lots)
Jalapeno, Habanero peppers ( habanero a day keeps the Dr away!) :)
Lots of Tomatoes (95% eaten raw sliced with salt and pepper, or on BLTs, rest in salsa)
Pumpkins (my 5 year old's choice)

Our backyard is wooded so we only have a 15' x 9' area that gets sun. HOA rules don't let us plant anything on the sides or front.

7 Large 30" terracotta pots on the back deck wtih: sweet basil, rosemary, sage, spearmint, Meyer Lemon, lemon and regular oregano, chives, garlic (amazed at how well garlic grows in potting soil/top soil mix in a container)

In the garden:
Italian parsley, cilantro (lots)
Jalapeno, Habanero peppers ( habanero a day keeps the Dr away!) :)
Lots of Tomatoes (95% eaten raw sliced with salt and pepper, or on BLTs, rest in salsa)
Pumpkins (my 5 year old's choice)

HA! A Habanero a day will keep EVERYONE away! :D :D :D

I grow a few hot peppers myself for marinades, but I'm not brave enough to grow habanero. I did get one habanero from a friends garden and made a beercan chicken with it. Rubbed the chicken with a blend of cumin, garlic, lime-zest, and cilantro and stuck a nice slice of habanero into the beercan. I'll tell you, the results were amazing...felt it for days... :D

If you don't mind me asking, how do you grow your cilantro all summer long? It usually drops its tasty leaves and sprouts when the ground gets warmer and doesn't last long...or is that where the 'lots' comes in. ;)

thanks...

Figured I would bring this thread back as it is getting pretty close to many starting to plan their garden for the year.

Just wondering if people buy plants or prefer seeds to start their gardens?

This will be my first time really creating a garden from scratch. I have always just done a few pots with plants in it to get us buy.

Plants. Living in the midwest we don't see the threat of frost disappear until well after mid-april. You usually need to go with plants for most summer veggies just to get a decent harvest in time. I've seen a few daring individuals use 'grow lights' in a heated garage to get some seeds to germinate, but thats hit or miss...

personally, I just to with plants... ;)

Plants here as well. We haven't garden much in recent years following spring & summer activities while the kids have been in high school. As that nears and end — a happy moment, but a little bittersweet — we will return to actively growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, onion and some greens as well. I did recondition a good sized rhubarb patch last year.

We have a sizable flower garden dominated by native tall-grass prairie flowers.

I guess it does not matter any more about peoples opinions on seeds or plants for me. The wife went and ordered almost everything for the garden today.

I wanted a small one to get our feet wet and see how things grow in our soil but did she listen. This does not even count the green peppers that will still need to be purchased. I guess I now need to go out and make our garden area a little bigger as she is trying to get at least 25 tomato plants out of the ones that we purchased.

Hot Pepper Biker Billy Hybrid Jalapeno- 1 Pkt. (30 seeds)
Tomato Fresh Salsa - Packet (30 seeds)
Tomato Black Truffle Hybrid - 1 packet (30 seeds)
Tomato Sun Gold Hybrid (Cherry) - 1 Pkt. (30 seeds)
Tomato Brandy Boy Hybrid - 1 packet (30 seeds)
EZ Serve Lettuce - Packet (500 seeds)
Hot Pepper Hungarian Wax - 1 Pkt. (100 Seeds)
Cucumber Straight Eight (Slicing) - 1 Pkt. (100 seeds)
Radish Perfecto - Packet (200 seeds)
Carrot Purple Dragon - Packet (1000 seeds)
Carrot Kaleidoscope - Packet (1000 seeds)
Zucchini Super Zuke Hybrid - 1 packet (10 seeds)
Tomato Red Lightning Hybrid - Packet (30 seeds)
Pumpkin Jack-o'-Lantern - 1 packet(25seeds)

So far, bush beans, onions, and garlic. More soon, including tomatoes (Romas and several heirlooms like Black Krum), peppers, cilantro, and maybe some melons.

I am getting lots of broccoli out of mine as of right now.

Kennebec potatoes ,two kinds of cabbage,Stonehead and Rio Verde.3 different corn varieties,Kandy Korn,Early Sun Glow,and Bodacious.Staggered the planting out so they wouldn't cross pollinate.6 Brandywine,6 Mr.Stripey,and one Super Sweet 100 cherry tomato.Those things are delicious!Last but certainly not least :D the old southern favorites yellow squash and cucumbers.

ke4est,I tried growing some broccoli last year and it produced pretty well but the dang bugs were a nightmare.Any tips to keep them from getting eaten alive?Really don't want to put any pesticide on my veggies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)