What's my options?

pward

Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
hillsboro
I ordered hughesnet install was scheduled for yesterday morning never showed called company said they hadn't received work order said they had a installer that worked weekends sometimes and would see if he would work today. Installer called last night wanting to know if he could come at 6 am this morning. I put him off until 7 said he had 2 installs to have finished before 11 when he arrived he just got out knocked on door said my only option was installing on roof. He said it was a 3 ft. dish said I had no line of site on front of house. Who wants a 3 ft. dish mounted to the front of there house anyway? He never mention pole mount. How much of a difference is it in the satellite for Directv? I have Direct its mounted on the side of house with 99% signal. I use to live next door and had Direcpc installed there not even 200 ft away from where I live now. What options are available with a smaller dish? Putting it on the roof is out of the question hoping to replace roof in near future.

Last edited:
Well, the guy was probably caught flat-footed when there was no line of sight with the Spaceway3 satellite. That's the Hughes-owned Ka-band satellite for which the HN9000 system is used. I say flat-footed, because he's supposed to also be carrying HN7000S equipment to install when the site has no visibility with Spaceway3. Unlike the HN9000, the HN7000S equipment can be used with over a dozen Ku-band satellites - so line of sight is seldom an issue.

If you want the HN9000, my recommendation is to negotiate an installation price for the polemount. Roof mount is typically considered standard (free), pole mount is definitely non-standard (costs extra). I recommend you study up on what you get (free) with the standard installation. Anything not on that list, makes it a non-standard (extra cost) installation. If you want to stick with the roof mount, go with the HN7000S. Either way you're gonna have to get the guy to come back out. So you'd best be prepared to give him some alternatives.

//greg//

Well you kinda got to look at the installers side of this also.
he gets a call Friday night for a Saturday install. He calls you tell him go later he is trying to get two installs in before noon. Probably has something planned.

It looks for sure like you need a pole mount no matter which system you get.

I would try and call him back. Ask about a pole mount. Make decision on what he has seen and recommends and then reschedule when he has all the stuff he needs for the install.

Installs with Hughes are critical and the difference between a poor or marginal one and a good one makes the difference in if you will be happy with the service or not.

Which "hillsboro" do you live in?

I'm wondering why the installer said you need a three foot dish.

I'm in Blaine, WA, less than a mile from the border with Canada, so I'm about as far north as one can get.

I have the standard HughesNet dish (18 or 22 or whatever).

Which "hillsboro" do you live in?

I'm wondering why the installer said you need a three foot dish.

I'm in Blaine, WA, less than a mile from the border with Canada, so I'm about as far north as one can get.

I have the standard HughesNet dish (18 or 22 or whatever).

Standard Hughesnet dish is about 30 inches .74 meters, When I am telling the customer about mounting options and they suggest to me something that will not work like an eve mount I always tell them its 3 feet "even though its a couple of inches under" so they can get a better idea of the size. The 18" dish is a regular directv dish.

OK, I was thinking that the HughesNet dish was smaller. I'm not in Blaine right now, or I'd measure it.

I suspect that it looks smaller since it's eliptical. I have a 30 inch circular dish for Dish Network's 129 satellite - that really looks big!

Thanks.

Most of us are not carrying 7000 systems to install for no line of sight issues.
We can hardly get our hands on equipment for the systems.
A pole mount is the best option for a Hughesnet install in my opinion.
I charge unable to say for 2" inch galvanized steel pole with fast setting concrete and up to 25 feet of trenching that is per Hughes. That is the maximum your allowed to charge and the steel poles and concrete are not cheap. Especially if your using schedule fourty poles like you should. I never recommend a roof mount but if the customer says stick it on roof well on the roof it will go. If the only option is the roof because of lots of trees well then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts