What's so great about HD Platinum?

LordEnder

Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Trying to decide whether to keep these channels I barely knew I had...and I'd like to know what everything thinks are so great about them.
I see that there are some good movies here and there, but I feel Netflix could cover that portion.
What kind of series are on here that make everyone rave about it (to the point of staying with Dish only because of this package)?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Trying to decide whether to keep these channels I barely knew I had...and I'd like to know what everything thinks are so great about them.
I see that there are some good movies here and there, but I feel Netflix could cover that portion.
What kind of series are on here that make everyone rave about it (to the point of staying with Dish only because of this package)?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

HD Platinum - Dish Network
^ I like how E* actually made a website to promote the channels.

I like that Epix 1 and 2 have recent releases. I also think the HD is really nice.

I like to watch indieplex hd and retroplex hd every once in a while for a good, older movie.

I do not watch centric, Universal HD, shorts hd, Mav TV, and fashion tv all that much.

The only time I watched logo was when Daria was on to promote the DVD. I thought it looked really nice.

I like to watch palladia for movies and concerts. I also like the HD Videos.

My family likes HD Theater for the car shows.

I particularly like the HDNET Movies Sneak Preview.

I am surprised that I do not watch ci HD that much. I love Forensic File type shows. However, I watched Rookies the other day.

My family likes WFN from time to time actually.

We watch a few movies on MGM HD. They actually play some good ones from time to time.

My advice to you:

Consider the list of channels. If you do not watch them, then you could save $10/month. However, you will probably get a $5 downgrade charge. We actually watch them. E* adding Palladia and HD Theater also helped us stay with the add-on. In addition, Epix 1, Epix 2, MGM, HD Net Movies, Retroplex, and Indieplex play some good movies. Of course, we like movies. So, if you do not like movies, you may not want to keep it.

Last edited:
I too am a movie lover. I love HDNet Movies, Epix1, Epix2, Retro, MGM & Indie. Those alone would be worth the $10 to me. I also like the concerts on Palladia, various programming on HDNet and HDTheater. I occasionally watch Six Feet Under on Universal, although it irritates me that it is edited on a premium channel, I never got to see it in HD during its original run.

I find a lot of stuff to watch on platinum, so well worth it to me.

The HD movies are what makes it worth the $10 per month to me. They have a lot of older movies in HD which Netflix does not and there are movies on there I have not seen since I was a kid. Epix, Epix 2, HDNet Movies, HDNet, Retro and Indie are what I pay for. The others, WFN, Universal, Palladia, and the others are fine but I rarely watch them.

These few channels are better than all the rest of the mainstream drivel in 250 combined, for the most part.

HD Platinum - Dish Network
^ I like how E* actually made a website to promote the channels.

I like that Epix 1 and 2 have recent releases. I also think the HD is really nice.

I like to watch indieplex hd and retroplex hd every once in a while for a good, older movie.

I do not watch centric, Universal HD, shorts hd, Mav TV, and fashion tv all that much.

The only time I watched logo was when Daria was on to promote the DVD. I thought it looked really nice.

I like to watch palladia for movies and concerts. I also like the HD Videos.

My family likes HD Theater for the car shows.

I particularly like the HDNET Movies Sneak Preview.

I am surprised that I do not watch ci HD that much. I love Forensic File type shows. However, I watched Rookies the other day.

My family likes WFN from time to time actually.

We watch a few movies on MGM HD. They actually play some good ones from time to time.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.:D

I think its a preference issue - kind of like when people are considering Dish v. Direct. I always tell people to look at the channel line-ups, DVR's, cost etc. I did view the free previews of Epix and a couple others and liked them, but not enough to want to pay an extra $10/mo....to me I'd rather add a premium movie channel like Showtime where I can get some great original programming for roughly the same price and often in HD.

hdnet has a ton of mma, which is cool... and epix has some surprisingly decent movies... i find myself checking out epix more and more often, even before i see what's on hbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts