What's the best OTA antenna in my area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shkarter1985

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Greenwood, South Carolina
Besides D*, I used a Philips indoor digital antenna that was bought at Wal-Mart last year (I don't know what color zone it is for the indoor antenna). Here's my results: TV Fool

On my Indoor OTA antenna, I get off-and-on signals of WYFF 4.1 (NBC) and 4.2 (ThisTV), I get mostly WJBF 6.1 (ABC) 6.2 (MeTV), WHNS 21.1 (FOX), 21.2 (Weather), WNEH 38.1 (PBS/SCETV) 38.2 (Create) 38.3 (PBS World), WMYA 40.1 (MNT) 40.2 (TheCoolTV) and 40.3 (The Country Network). Sometimes I get WYCW 62.1 (CW) and 62.2 (SD Similcast of WSPA 7.1 CBS). Other channels I've picked up once of twice is every Charlotte, NC station except (WCNC 36 NBC, WMYT 55 MNT, and 3 PBS stations WNSC 30, WTVI 42, and WUNG 58), every station in Columbia, SC (except WIS 10 NBC, WRJA 27 PBS, WZRB 47 CW, and WKTC 63 MNT). And every Augusta, GA station (including WAGT 26.1 NBC 26.2 CW Plus, except WRDW 12 CBS, WEBA 14 PBS, WCES 20 PBS/GPB, and WFXG 54 FOX). In my home market I got WGGS 16.1 (Religious Indie) and 16.2 once or twice. But never picked up WSPA 7.1 (CBS) 7.2 (MeTV), WLOS 13.1 (ABC), 13.2 (SD Similcast of WMYA 40 MNT), and 13.1 (SD Similcast of WLOS 13.1) since it has inadequate signal, WNTV 29 (PBS), WUGA 32 (PBS World/GPB formerly commercial station WNEG), WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC).

i'm in the violet zone, what's the best outdoor large directional antenna with pre-amp for my area with around 100+ mile range? Besides Greenville, SC and Augusta, GA OTA stations, what other stations from nearby markets should I get OTA with an outdoor large directional antenna?

Besides D*, I used a Philips indoor digital antenna that was bought at Wal-Mart last year (I don't know what color zone it is for the indoor antenna). Here's my results: TV Fool

On my Indoor OTA antenna, I get off-and-on signals of WYFF 4.1 (NBC) and 4.2 (ThisTV), I get mostly WJBF 6.1 (ABC) 6.2 (MeTV), WHNS 21.1 (FOX), 21.2 (Weather), WNEH 38.1 (PBS/SCETV) 38.2 (Create) 38.3 (PBS World), WMYA 40.1 (MNT) 40.2 (TheCoolTV) and 40.3 (The Country Network). Sometimes I get WYCW 62.1 (CW) and 62.2 (SD Similcast of WSPA 7.1 CBS). Other channels I've picked up once of twice is every Charlotte, NC station except (WCNC 36 NBC, WMYT 55 MNT, and 3 PBS stations WNSC 30, WTVI 42, and WUNG 58), every station in Columbia, SC (except WIS 10 NBC, WRJA 27 PBS, WZRB 47 CW, and WKTC 63 MNT). And every Augusta, GA station (including WAGT 26.1 NBC 26.2 CW Plus, except WRDW 12 CBS, WEBA 14 PBS, WCES 20 PBS/GPB, and WFXG 54 FOX). In my home market I got WGGS 16.1 (Religious Indie) and 16.2 once or twice. But never picked up WSPA 7.1 (CBS) 7.2 (MeTV), WLOS 13.1 (ABC), 13.2 (SD Similcast of WMYA 40 MNT), and 13.1 (SD Similcast of WLOS 13.1) since it has inadequate signal, WNTV 29 (PBS), WUGA 32 (PBS World/GPB formerly commercial station WNEG), WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC).

i'm in the violet zone, what's the best outdoor large directional antenna with pre-amp for my area with around 100+ mile range? Besides Greenville, SC and Augusta, GA OTA stations, what other stations from nearby markets should I get OTA with an outdoor large directional antenna?

There is no violet zone onTV fool do you mean red? Most stations are 50-80 miles to your north and 1edge which means they are hard to get. You need both a high VHF antenna and a UHF antenna. I would only worry about the stations to your north. You don't have any near by stations except WNEH & WMYA

Well I would ask two questions before making any recommendations. What is your budget and how important is WCES to you as it is the only VHF low band station. Also how will the antenna be installed? All in one antennas can reach 18 feet in length so we need to know your situation first.

You have one VHF low band station, channel 6 PBS 60 miles away, but you have 2 other PBS stations that are stronger - I'm throwing channel 6 out so all we need is VHF-high and UHF antennas.

If the NM of a station is below 0.0 that tells me that stable reception is very unlikely, but may flash on from time to time with the best antennas.

There are 6 VHF-high band stations all with a NM above 10.

You have nearly 20 UHF stations above 0.0 NM.

You can get all the network stations by pointing antenna(s) slightly west of north (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MYTV and CW) out of North Carolina.

There are 5 of these 6 networks available out of Columbia SC, but they are generally weaker signals but receivable with good antennas high enough above the ground.

For just one of these reception areas. mount a Winegard YA 1713 ($38) and a good UHF antenna (Antennas Direct 91-XG ($53) or a Winegard HD-8800 ($43) or similar) as high as possible pointed slightly west of north.

Join the antennas with a Channel Master 7777 or a Winegard AP8700.

If you want to receive both areas you'll need a rotator (maybe up to $95).

I'd recommend getting the antennas at least 50 ft. AGL so you'll need a tower or telescoping mast.

Guess how many channels I picked over the air in recent weeks!

I've tried to go to http://www.antennaweb.org (Now I get "This Page is Under Construction" message unfortunately :( ) since I'm in a purple zone (which I need a Deep-Fringe Directional Antenna with pre-amp. Since most of the TV towers in my DMA (Greenville, SC) is located between 17-96 miles near my home and the adjacent markets like the small-market Augusta, GA (45-76 miles for most TV towers near my home), Columbia, SC (64-77 miles from TV towers near my home).

Which is the best Deep Fringe Directional Antenna with pre-amp is good for my ares. Would the ChannelMaster 3671 (100+ range antenna) be the best?

BTW, I've picked up distant channels from Raleigh (UNC-TV channel), Atlanta (only FOX O&O WAGA), and Savannah,GA ABC's WJCL (signal not doing good) on my indoor antenna.

Thanks. :)

I've tried to go to http://www.antennaweb.org (Now I get "This Page is Under Construction" message unfortunately :( ) since I'm in a purple zone (which I need a Deep-Fringe Directional Antenna with pre-amp. Since most of the TV towers in my DMA (Greenville, SC) is located between 17-96 miles near my home and the adjacent markets like the small-market Augusta, GA (45-76 miles for most TV towers near my home), Columbia, SC (64-77 miles from TV towers near my home).

Which is the best Deep Fringe Directional Antenna with pre-amp is good for my ares. Would the ChannelMaster 3671 (100+ range antenna) be the best?

BTW, I've picked up distant channels from Raleigh (UNC-TV channel), Atlanta (only FOX O&O WAGA), and Savannah,GA ABC's WJCL (signal not doing good) on my indoor antenna.

You posted this same question back on 03/29/2012 would a moderator please merge these threads?

You have one VHF low band station, channel 6 PBS 60 miles away, but you have 2 other PBS stations that are stronger - I'm throwing channel 6 out so all we need is VHF-high and UHF antennas.

If the NM of a station is below 0.0 that tells me that stable reception is very unlikely, but may flash on from time to time with the best antennas.

There are 6 VHF-high band stations all with a NM above 10.

You have nearly 20 UHF stations above 0.0 NM.

You can get all the network stations by pointing antenna(s) slightly west of north (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MYTV and CW) out of North Carolina.

There are 5 of these 6 networks available out of Columbia SC, but they are generally weaker signals but receivable with good antennas high enough above the ground.

For just one of these reception areas. mount a Winegard YA 1713 ($38) and a good UHF antenna (Antennas Direct 91-XG ($53) or a Winegard HD-8800 ($43) or similar) as high as possible pointed slightly west of north.

Join the antennas with a Channel Master 7777 or a Winegard AP8700.

If you want to receive both areas you'll need a rotator (maybe up to $95).

I'd recommend getting the antennas at least 50 ft. AGL so you'll need a tower or telescoping mast.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

One question on
You can get all the network stations by pointing antenna(s) slightly west of north (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MYTV and CW) out of North Carolina. Do you mean Charlotte, NC or my home DMA?

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

One question on
You can get all the network stations by pointing antenna(s) slightly west of north (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MYTV and CW) out of North Carolina. Do you mean Charlotte, NC or my home DMA?
In post #5 you list Greenville, SC as your DMA so if you are pointing north west I would expect Charlotte, NC would be the expected channels.

In post #3 Bob2011 asked about your budget a telescoping mast with a VHF and a UHF antenna with preamp should run at least $200 and a 50ft. tower installed will probably cross $1000. Just about anything is possible as long as you have the money.

www.antennaweb.org works for me but the only results fo you is WNEH ch38.1 at 16 miles and red/WNBS ch50 at 29 miles and "purple" maybe this is where you got the color from and not TVFOOL. With the latest iteration of antennaweb I find their site useless.

Last edited:
I've tried to go to AntennaWeb - Home (Now I get "This Page is Under Construction" message unfortunately :( ) since I'm in a purple zone (which I need a Deep-Fringe Directional Antenna with pre-amp. Since most of the TV towers in my DMA (Greenville, SC) is located between 17-96 miles near my home and the adjacent markets like the small-market Augusta, GA (45-76 miles for most TV towers near my home), Columbia, SC (64-77 miles from TV towers near my home).

If you go to tvfool and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a chart of what the background colors mean, THERE IS GREEN/YELLOW/RED & GREY there is no purple.

If you go to tvfool and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a chart of what the background colors mean, THERE IS GREEN/YELLOW/RED & GREY there is no purple.

True but he went to AntennaWeb and they use purple for harder to receive UHF and VHF

Antenna Questions

Besides my parents being D* subscribers. I also have an interest of getting free over-the-air local TV from my market and other adjacent markets. Will an old antenna like from the 1980s will work with HDTV sets to scan for over the air digital signals? Or not?

I think I got a outdoor antenna outside my house that we had for years, will that work? If not, please tell me something to solve this problem of digital over the air signals. Thanks :)

Hook it up with coax and scan. The same antenna from 1950 will work fine today. Check out some of the over the air websites like tvfool, to see if your locals are VHF or UHF or both.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Check the posters history, he has asked the question before. Original post 3/29/12 second thread started 6/28/12 merged by Iceberg.

Last edited:
and merged yet again
He also has a thread at AVS for his market with the same questions and was given alot of info there

I guess some people dont want to listen to advice

I've finally bought me a long range antenna

It's ALMOST time to replace my indoor Philips SDV1125T/27 antenna with a AntennaCraft HBU44 long range outdoor antenna from Solid Signal that cost about $58 and I paid the ground shipping costs. Since I'm in a violet zone and need a large directional antenna in my location. My next door neighbor let me have his pole and pre-amp. when he used to have his antenna (a short range antenna) to pick up some stations nearby. I don't know if they got a rotor. I've finally made an investment despite having pay-TV like D* and getting free over-the-air locals and adjacent locals too via antenna. Do DirecTV still have those DirecTV AM21 tuners?

Here's what signals should I get OTA. Radar-Digital(1).png

I point east to get the Columbia, SC stations OTA. I point SSE I get Augusta, GA locals OTA. I point NNW and North I get my home market stations Greenville, SC OTA. Is it impossible to pick up all Charleston, SC stations (since it's on ESE or about 120 degrees and about 162 miles from my location)?

Also I've found the Tropo forecasts at Tropospheric Ducting Forecast for VHF & UHF Radio & TV I get forecast for possible future DXing. On the Noon (GMT) forecast in my area it's 2 means fair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts