What's the best universal remote control?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
riffjim4069 said:
I have a MX-700 and an old SL-9000 that I highly recommend depending on your needs and budget. I have had nothing but good experiences with Universal's Home Theater Master brand of remotes.

I agree. I have the MX-500 and it does everything I need it to.
Chip

chewy said:
do the harmony remotes work with the HR-10 250? (HD-TIVO)

The HR-10 250 should be in their database by now. Messages in other forums lead me to believe it is. If not, you can "learn" the commands into the harmony remote.

The MSRP on my 688 was $249 but I got it through Newegg.com for $159 and then found there was a 25% rebate on it, which I just got in under the wire for.[/QUOTE]

The 880 is on sale for the same price at www.cdw.com

Better remotes

On the basis of price, yes
On the basis of functionality,
I will put my custom tron code against any harmony, pronto, etc

My $.02

I use a Compaq iPaq hand held PDA running Windows CE(see tagline below). It comes with NEVO.

www.mynevo.com

It can control any IR device. It can learn any IR remote code as long as it isnt a phased remote(like a 3 LED Beta-Brite Business LED sign remote).

I use it to contol my whole HT and can take it from room to room or even to the doctors office and control his TV. It will work ceiling fans, and IR remote lights too.

Plus it has reminders, address book, and games, pocket word, internet exploder etc... I need to get the wireless adapter and I can browse my home network or the internet, get email and probably even post messages here on SGUS.

I paid $225 for a used one on ebay and have used it right out of the box and have never hooked it to my computer or updated it.

I've posted similar replies elsewhere... The biggest CON is that the distance to the device has to be 8 feet or less. But it will control my Dish 522 at 12 feet. YMMV

A tablet PC would be the next step up for me. I will never own a button universal remote again!

I may actually try out the TSU3000. It's worth a try for me, and it definitely has that "cool factor" being a touchscreen. Besides it has hard buttons for Channel Up and Down, Volume Up and Down, for Mute and more. And moreover I can have my favorite channel icons on the screen when I am watching live TV. I like this idea, I'll give it a try. Any good deals?

I followed your way! I already have a T|E (PalmOS based handheld) and bought a nice universal remote control software Novii Remote Deluxe from Novii at novii.tv WOW!!!!!! It can easily be customized, it has a great range, and they are already planning an upgrade.... And all of this for only $34.99!

rim said:
I may actually try out the TSU3000. It's worth a try for me, and it definitely has that "cool factor" being a touchscreen. Besides it has hard buttons for Channel Up and Down, Volume Up and Down, for Mute and more. And moreover I can have my favorite channel icons on the screen when I am watching live TV. I like this idea, I'll give it a try. Any good deals?

Try remoteinstaller com. These guys offer programmed remote controls so that you just open the box with a newly bought remote control and start operating your AV system. My friend bought a TSU-3000 from them 6 days ago and recommends it highly.

Harmony is the best

Just recently finished my home theater system and needed a remote that would allow my wife to use the system with out me there. After several trips back and forth from circuit city with "universal remotes" I opted to spend the extra money and buy the harmony 659 which I read good reviews on. After about 30 minutes of configuring I had a truly universal remote. Great remote for the money!!

i have to go along with the rest the harmony 688 can control anything you throw at it and it does have backlighting GET THE HARMONY!!

and I vote for the tron

shall we make a fair bet

1 a/v system

Ease of use, functionality, reliability

1 set of hw
1 set of judges

rim said:

Try remoteinstaller com. These guys offer programmed remote controls so that you just open the box with a newly bought remote control and start operating your AV system. My friend bought a TSU-3000 from them 6 days ago and recommends it highly.

I just checked this site out myself. It offers some great deals - buy the TSU-3000 and receive free customizing for all your components.
I would assume that you can save a couple of weeks as you won't have to program and set it up yourself. Good luck!

Although not quite as popular as the Harmonys and MX series, I have been using a Sony RM AV-3000 for about 2 years. Picked it up for $99 back then. It has been replaced by the 3100, which is essentially the same with some improvements. It has almost unlimited learning abilty and macros. The only drawback is the size. It requires two hands most of the time.

www.remotecentral.com has reviews for most universal remotes that have been out in the last few years.

oldguy1 said:
The HR-10 250 should be in their database by now. Messages in other forums lead me to believe it is. If not, you can "learn" the commands into the harmony remote.

I guess I need to connect my harmony again. I have the 688 and it does work on the HD tivo but not very well. There is an extreme delay between me pressing a button and something happening if it does happen. The 688 worked fantastically on my now defunct Voom setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts