What's the best universal remote control?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rim

Original poster
May 13, 2005
Hello guys,

what's the best universal remote control to operate DirecTV HDTV? I'm thinking of a touch screen universal remote control. Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lots of people will recommend one of the Harmony remotes by Logitech. That's what I have been using. It allows you to control all components, and you can program activities like 'watch a movie', 'watch television', 'listen to music' etc. But it is not a touch screen remote. My overall opinion of the Harmony SST-659 is good, but it is hard for me to see in a darkened room and the display is a little small. And when you get older and need reading glasses, you'll understand what I mean.

Some of the touch screen remotes I've seen are pretty pricey. Good luck with your research.

The Logitech Harmony 688 is by far the MOST universal remote I have ever owned.

I can control all functions on 2 DVD players, 2 TV's. 2 Directv STB's, a stereo, and a VCR all of which are of different brands. And I can customize each to add or delete functions.

Harmony has an extensive database of other mfgs. remotes that they update regularly, and if a function of a remote is not in the database, you can "learn" that function from the original remote.

They don't allow macros yet but they say they are working on it.

The Harmony remote is well worth the money, considering that other "universal" remotes become obsolete as new equipment comes out and you may have to by new remotes from time to time.

The MSRP on my 688 was $249 but I got it through Newegg.com for $159 and then found there was a 25% rebate on it, which I just got in under the wire for.

I'm in need of a remote myself. But I heard there are difficulties with programming universal remotes to control satellite/TiVo/ dish network. Should you find the best solution, please let me know about it.

Snake said:
I'm in need of a remote myself. But I heard there are difficulties with programming universal remotes to control satellite/TiVo/ dish network. Should you find the best solution, please let me know about it.

The Harmony remote's database takes care of that problem.

The Harmony 688 is probably the best Tivo remote out. The is just my opinion because I have also had a Philips piece of crap.

Steer clear of the Pronto remotes they are trash. I have a harmony 676 and love it. Robert at VE also said the MX-series remotes are VERY impressive. While I hate to pawn you to another forum other than ours, the folks at remote central are likely your best source, just as we are for satellite information.

On the flip side, we all know what works with D* :) and that in itself is a bonus for our votes.

I have a Pronto Neo that I like very much. That being said, it did take me a LONG time to get it functioning the way I wanted.

Im looking at buying a Harmony 880 for my bedroom once its released.

A great number of advice! thanks!

I've studied Logitech Harmony remotes. A nice gear, but these remotes are NOT touch screen remote controls.

Steer clear of the Pronto remotes they are trash. I have a harmony 676 and love it. Robert at VE also said the MX-series remotes are VERY impressive

ok, thanks for your recommendation! Actually I was thinking about TSU-3000 or even TSU-7000 (though a bit pricey but really impressive!).... No problems with D* ? OK, I'd better read the recommendations on remotecentral.

We sell more Harmony than any other remote. Personally I think the MX850 from Universal Remote is the best price/performance remote available. Forum members get a 25% discount.

-Robert

rim said:
Hello guys,

what's the best universal remote control to operate DirecTV HDTV? I'm thinking of a touch screen universal remote control. Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Harmony. It's a godsend.

Have had the Pronto 1000 for 5 years and love it. Looking at buying a second, one for the bedroom (1000) and a new one for the HT room.

Crestron, Nuff Said

Being an L1, L2, Lighting Cert(working on my L3(Final Class),
I have to say the superior system I have used is Crestron,
I have been through the gamut Prontos, AMX, Theater Masters)

For reliable 100 percent control with exapandabiity I have 2 reccomend Crestron,
I have used it from single room systems, to multiroom, lighting control, and HVAC

Hardware would be the following

1x Crestron Processor(ST-CP, PRO2, Etc)
1x RF GATEWAY(
1x ST-1550C
IR emiiters and serial/ rs232 cables with the respective hardware pinout

Option 2
1x CNX/C2ENET CARD with a wireless bridge)
1x 802.11 gateway
1x tablet pc

Contact me for hw info and programming details.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We sell more Harmony than any other remote. Personally I think the MX850 from Universal Remote is the best price/performance remote available. Forum members get a 25% discount.

-Robert

I have two MX800s and they work really well. A bit pricy compared to the Harmonies but I'm quite satisfied.

AMX, Crestron, C4, Destiny

The Complete automation platforms are another lev about most remotes, in price, and performance.

Its almost another level, control platform vs single room remote.

Example: turning your spa on from a flight at 6 am, display it's temp, feed the data to a web server / sms your phone to let you know that the temp and time are set.

no knock to the Harmony but ADVANCED A/V and automation intergration are reserved for the higher end platforms(AMX,C4, Destony, Tron, etc)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)