What's the monthly cost of a Genie wireless mini if you buy your own box?

hokie74

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I have a HR54 Genie with a WVB and one C61W wirelss mini that I pay DirecTV $7.00 per month to rent. I want to add a second client. If I buy my own client is there a monthly cost with DTV? I see you can buy C41w's on eBay for fairly low prices. With they work with the HR54? Thanks for any replies.

I have a HR54 Genie with a WVB and one C61W wirelss mini that I pay DirecTV $7.00 per month to rent. I want to add a second client. If I buy my own client is there a monthly cost with DTV? I see you can buy C41w's on eBay for fairly low prices. With they work with the HR54? Thanks for any replies.
It will work with the HR54, it‘s considered a lease and you will pay an additional $7.00 a month to watch programming on it.

Be careful if you buy one off of EBay, AT&T might not activate it for you, they might require a tech to come out if you want to add an additional client.

Reactions: harshness
So there's no reason at all not to get one from DTV?
Correct. It will probably be free and all other costs are the same. If they want you to pay for the lease, call back and try again. Unless you have gotten a deal lately you will eventually get a csr to give it to you at no cost.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Hell, they charge you the $7/month even if you use a RVU TV, there's no way getting around that charge.

OK, I see, there is a $99 equipment charge. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can sweet talk them out of that. What I really want to do is get a C61K 4K mini and move the wireless mini to a third TV. I finally have run a coax to my 4K TV so I can install a 4K mini. I will see if they will deal. All my discounts have run out so I am paying them a fortune anyway.

OK, I see, there is a $99 equipment charge. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can sweet talk them out of that. What I really want to do is get a C61K 4K mini and move the wireless mini to a third TV. I finally have run a coax to my 4K TV so I can install a 4K mini. I will see if they will deal. All my discounts have run out so I am paying them a fortune anyway.
Like I said, you may need to call more than once to get a csr to give it to you at no cost.

I called twice with no luck getting them to waive the up front charge. I was able to get an additional discount for 12 months.

The experience was terrible. The first CSR was in the Philippines. She couldn’t log into her computer. She was working from home because of the virus. I could barely understand her. She said she would call me back in one hour. She transferred me to a retention person. The connection was so bad we could barely hear each other. He took my number and called me back. He was able to work out a discount for me.

After two hours I called again about the 4K mini. Again the CSR was ESL but understandable. After fumbling around she told me I would have to upgrade my receiver for $399. I said no I had an HR54 and I knew it could handle 4K because I had a C61k mini with it at one time before exchanging it for a wireless mini.

She checked the serial number while apparently talking in the background with someone. She said yes my receiver could handle 4K. But when she got around to entering the order she said there was still a $99 one time charge. I told her I had never paid DirecTV for equipment in 15 years and would not now. That was the end of the call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I called twice with no luck getting them to waive the up front charge. I was able to get an additional discount for 12 months.

The experience was terrible. The first CSR was in the Philippines. She couldn’t log into her computer. She was working from home because of the virus. I could barely understand her. She said she would call me back in one hour. She transferred me to a retention person. The connection was so bad we could barely hear each other. He took my number and called me back. He was able to work out a discount for me.

After two hours I called again about the 4K mini. Again the CSR was ESL but understandable. After fumbling around she told me I would have to upgrade my receiver for $399. I said no I had an HR54 and I knew it could handle 4K because I had a C61k mini with it at one time before exchanging it for a wireless mini.

She checked the serial number while apparently talking in the background with someone. She said yes my receiver could handle 4K. But when she got around to entering the order she said there was still a $99 one time charge. I told her I had never paid DirecTV for equipment in 15 years and would not now. That was the end of the call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Att could improve thier reputation by leaps and bounds if they would make all the call centers in the USA ...
And confirm that the people answering the phones can speak fluent English

Thats the thing I hate the most .... not being able to understand or having them not understand what I want/need to have done.

I had a very long effort to try to get 4k from them ... took about a year actually, I got tired of calling and explaining what I needed ...
It was very easy actually, I had a HR44, I needed to swap it for a HR54 and a C61k ... no big deal ... I could have actually picked up the equipment from the warehouse on the way home, had I really wanted too, but i decided to do it the right way and go thru them.

Att could improve thier reputation by leaps and bounds if they would make all the call centers in the USA ...
And confirm that the people answering the phones can speak fluent English

Thats the thing I hate the most .... not being able to understand or having them not understand what I want/need to have done.

I had a very long effort to try to get 4k from them ... took about a year actually, I got tired of calling and explaining what I needed ...
It was very easy actually, I had a HR44, I needed to swap it for a HR54 and a C61k ... no big deal ... I could have actually picked up the equipment from the warehouse on the way home, had I really wanted too, but i decided to do it the right way and go thru them.
Bet you wouldnt get one person to disagree?
Sad truth is American corporations dont want to pay fair wages.....Dont want to pay for healthcare, FICA, 401ks or anything else!
I keep hearing people say we are going to start making things in the USA again....

NO WE ARE NOT!.....That ship started to sail in the 80s, on steroids in the 90s, and by the 2000 the tax breaks and incentives still siphoning good paying American jobs!
The United States Chamber of Commerce pushed bills to be passed to remove those jobs, and Wall St, loved the profits!

Mind blowing after 40 years people start waking up?

Bet you wouldnt get one person to disagree?
Sad truth is American corporations dont want to pay fair wages.....Dont want to pay for healthcare, FICA, 401ks or anything else!
I keep hearing people say we are going to start making things in the USA again....

NO WE ARE NOT!.....That ship started to sail in the 80s, on steroids in the 90s, and by the 2000 the tax breaks and incentives still siphoning good paying American jobs!
The United States Chamber of Commerce pushed bills to be passed to remove those jobs, and Wall St, loved the profits!

Mind blowing after 40 years people start waking up?
Then theres the fact that the company I work for .... Pays me a decent wage, has a Pension and a 401k ... unfortunately we pay for healthcare now, it use to be the company that paid for it, but when others started having to pay thier way (not entirely mind you) we did as well ...

Then theres the fact that the company I work for .... Pays me a decent wage, has a Pension and a 401k ... unfortunately we pay for healthcare now, it use to be the company that paid for it, but when others started having to pay thier way (not entirely mind you) we did as well ...
Consider yourself very lucky, as pensions are dying a fast death....As of now only 25% of retired people have it, and in 10 years only 11% will have one..
Face it, over the last 30 years the working class loses more than it gains. sad

Consider yourself very lucky, as pensions are dying a fast death....As of now only 25% of retired people have it, and in 10 years only 11% will have one..
Face it, over the last 30 years the working class loses more than it gains. sad
Sadly, the newer departments that are hired in, will not have a Pension .... so in another 10-15 years, the company won't have Pensions at all.

• Sad
Reactions: AZ.
the fee is the same as the fleese deal weather you own it or not!!! and BTW you could spend trillions of bucks on the genies and the mini's and you will never own them.. as DTV won't sell em. and in today's day in age why would you want to crap that can't be used elsewhere???