what's up with MHz Worldview on 97W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
email sent - this is a great channel, too bad it is gone from FTA

Well I wonder how they're delivering their content to their desired markets now? Or did I miss something? Sounds like the pizza dish might be their market....Blind

Ip.
A new vendor, LTN, was selected this fall and launches as the business distribution service of the channel through IP services on December 1. -- MHz Networks On Demand content is also available throughout the nation on the family of Roku digital video players
MHz News

Last edited:
Color bars are up today, instead of the PIDs pointing to a non-existent stream the way they did the past two days.

Directv channel 2183 at 95 west has had a slate up since 12/1, so either they didn't get the memo about distribution change or mhzw is off directv for good like globecast!

Last edited:
That's weird, I would think Direct would be paying for them.

If they want to be a PBS-type station, they ought to approach PBS about putting them up on 125W with everything else they uplink! This wouldn't fly so well with the folks who only have a dish pointed at 97W for foreign channels, but at least they'd be available to the public again for anyone who wants to make the effort.

A response came from MHzEngineering@mhznetworks.org this morning regarding Directv channel 2183 at 95 west. "DTV was taking the feed from g19 but distributed by pitcom. We have killed sat delivery. DTV and mhz are already in contact and are awaiting the IP interconnect at LABC at which time WV will be back on 2183. Time frame within the next 2 weeks."

Nice of them to bother to get this setup before the deadline!

I just don't get this IP business I guess. Couldn't they use their existing internet connection and off-the-shelf, consumer-grade hardware? They're hardly broadcasting HD or anything!

Maybe Directv can route WNVC 30-1 the mhzworldview flagship station in DC for directv channel 2183 since they already handle that signal as a local they have the source in house already.

LTN Global Communications Launches World-Wide Broadcast Quality Video Transport Service. MHz Networks Selects LTN for Distribution of its National Channel

LTN Global Communications

"Service is typically initiated in less than a week"

That is why they couldn't have the link to the directv teleport established before the 12/1 deadline??? And it is going to be another 2 weeks from now! Send them the box overnight for $50 bucks, Do they really care about established viewers if they can allow an outage of this sort on a national satellite distributor. Just funny how affiliates like WDSC got their IP link in place before G19 went down, somebody dropped the ball with the directv link.

MHz Worldview discontinued our distribution via G19 at midnight November 30 as we have
adopted a new business services provider to distribute our channel to our 30 broadcast and
cable affiliates throughout the country. As a non-profit organization we've had to recently
look at more cost effective ways to transmit and distribute our national channel.

While we do understand that home consumers may have viewed the channel directly from G19
with FTA receivers and antennas, our primary use of G19 was for the business distribution
mentioned.

MHz Worldview does not have plans of returning to G19, but you may look for the latest in
distribution availabilities and announcements of MHz content by visiting www.mhznetworks.org/news,
or see how to watch where you live at: www.mhznetworks.org/mhzworldview/carriage.

Hi MHz Networks Official,

I assume you work for mhz-w from your user name, so can you please tell us why the new IP link was not established with directv before the signal at G19 used for distribution to directv and others ceased on 12/1? Currently directv subscribers have lost your channel and viewers of channel 2183 are only receiving a slate that tells them their are technical difficulties. Your marketing dept is also telling people you are available on directv but they are apparently not aware that directv is experiencing an outage of your signal due to the change to IP. Maybe someone at your station can make some calls to permit Directv to route your WNVC 30-1 signal, the mhzworldview flagship station in DC, and authorize that as source of directv channel 2183, since directv already handles that signal as a local they have the source in house already and could use this until the the ip link is established.

Last edited:
I went to their website and they have a posting where that they want you to have a 1.2M KU Band dish and a 8PSK FTA Reciever.

Here is what I received in an email response. El_Viejo

Thanks for your email and interest in MHz Networks and MHz Worldview. As a non-profit organization we've had to recently look at more cost effective ways to transmit and distribute our national channel throughout the United States. As G19 was primarily used to bring the channel to our 30 broadcast and cable affiliates throughout the country, we felt the move was in our best interest and consequently moved to another service for business use. Unfortunately for home viewers watching the channel via G19, we will not be launching on another transponder.

MHz Worldview is available on DirecTV, channel 2183. Additional MHz Networks content, both free and pay, is available on MHz Networks on Demand via the Roku digital video player. News and magazines are free and series programs including AFL matches require subscription fees. All programs require a free account set up at our website. Additional information can be found here: MHz On Demand - Roku. The digital video player is available at Best Buy, Radio Shack and Fry's stores nationwide.

You may visit MHz News for the latest announcements regarding new distribution of MHz Worldview and our other content.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We do appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

Nancy Sherwood

MHz Networks

MHZ Worldview has returned to Directv channel 2183 @ 95 West as of 6PM this evening (12/23). The channel is available to all Directv subs with a dish for Galaxy 3C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)