What's your favorite Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ironsides

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
North Carolina
If you had only a couple of choices what is your favorite satellite and why? Please list a couple of your favorites and why it's your favorite keeping in mind you only have a couple of choices. Limited space or budget or for whatever reasons might would keep you from having but only a couple. I'm very sure this has been asked before, but what the heck...

Reason I am asking, I am looking for information to help my friend who lives in a very limited space. His landlord has given me permission to setup FTA satellite for this older gentalman and has allowed me a 4x4 area to set his dish in. It must be a fixed dish system that can be hidden with some shrubs. Which I also have to supply...His interests would be PBS I am sure and maybe some news, a couple of networks. I suggested OTA but the landlord would only agree to a dish. Was hoping maybe to get 2 satellites that would offer him some decent tv shows. I am sure he would love the older shows.

If he has a exclusive area he can put up a OTA antenna

OTARD covers him under that

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.

not to make waves..

I could have pushed the idea of OTA and used the FCC to back me up, but I know both the landlord and the older gentelman and didn't wish to upset the apple cart. He agreed on a dish because they appear neater and easier to hide which I do agree with. It would be much cheaper on me to go the dish route as I have all the items needed on hand. As it is I have to supply everything including the shrubs and labor.

If he likes old tv shows, RTV, formerly RTN is on one satellite. I think 93W? You get two different time zones, East and West of RTN. If you go to RTV's website you can print out a weekly program guide. Same shows all week, weekends different lineup.

Correction, its 83W, I have 93W on the brain after last weekend.

well depending on where he lives respect to the transmitters maybe the OTA antenna is a better solution. Heck it could even be indoors!. if you are planning on hiding it with shrubbs then the sat has to be relatively high in the sky or in other words relatively close to your longitude.

If he likes old tv shows, RTV, formerly RTN is on one satellite. I think 93W? You get two different time zones, East and West of RTN. If you go to RTV's website you can print out a weekly program guide. Same shows all week, weekends different lineup.

Correction, its 83W, I have 93W on the brain after last weekend.

RTV is on 83.0°W not on 93.0°W.

His interests would be PBS I am sure and maybe some news, a couple of networks.
Since the gentle man wants PBS, you could point the dish towards 63.0°W or 125.0°W all KU Band.

Last edited:

83 would be a good choice for the old tv shows! We live in NC and at his location we have a good los... The OTA thing would be good but for one thing, I would have to buy an antenna with at least 150 mile range plus a booster and a rotor chances are. Rabbit ears in my area are best left for rabbits! I have all the necessary things for a simple FTA setup including the receiver and mounting pole. I was thinking of using one of my spare Prime* dishes but I hate to part with it. I might take another but haven't made up my mind as of yet. The only things I need purchase for this project is cement and coax, which I might have but not sure...

Any other suggestions would be great and thank you for those that have made suggestions.

Ironsides,

I am not sure what the reception quality would be in the specific area, but if it is good, an OTA digital antenna would seem the better way to go. What I am referring to is an indoor antenna that the landloard absolutely could not object to.

I bought one at Walmart for $35. It is slightly smaller in width and length than a piece of typing paper and about 1/2" deep. It looks like a small hot-plate.

You can hang it on a wall, lay it flat on top of a shelf or stand it up like a picture frame on a cabinet top (maybe even incorporate it into an actual picture frame to hide it). Orientation and location depends upon the signal level you can achieve.

I am able to receive 12-14 digital TV channels with really excellent quality and I am more than 40 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna.

He would need a digital ready TV or else a converter box.

For ideas on receivable channels, try this site: The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

As for a satellite for FTA, I would have a hard time limiting it to one or two satellites. I would have to have 30.0°W, 83.0°W, 97.0°W, 101.0°W and 125.0°W and that is why I use a motorized system.

RADAR

Last edited:
guys

Guys trust when I say an indoor antenna will not cut it where we live no way no how. We live in a very difficult area for TV digital or analog.

I have been in Ham Radio near 25 years and I can say honestly an indoor antenna has no chance to work here...

Anyway, what's your favorite satellite?

Wow For a Second There I thought I was lurking in a FTA Satellite Forum. Turns out, its an OTA Fan-boy Club Forum :p

LOL Ok

LOL ok forget I asked What your favorites satellites are... :)

In my 1st post I mentioned OTA and I had suggested it to both my friends. They both resisted the notion and have valid reasons for doing so. Money has been spent in the past for OTA it was a waste. Besides the OTA is harder to hide and neither want another Antenna on the home. They don't like the appearences of the OTA and the indoor antenna is not a solution as that has been tried.

I'll just try for 83 or for the PBS as suggested by an early poster...Thanks The Retro shows would be something they both can enjoy.

Yea Jimmy I was starting to think I didn't ask what the favorite satellite was, had to go back and check to see the Thread Title again...LOL wow..I am terrible at conveying my questions...

Last edited:
you can make him a small OTA antenna out of coat-hangers and put a 15 dbi amp on it. it will be easy to hide and will pull in most everything. I am able to get channels ~100 miles away. you can mount one along with the dish if you wanted to (terk style) or indoor as mentioned. i bet it will work and doesn't hurt to try.

Guys trust when I say an indoor antenna will not cut it where we live no way no how. We live in a very difficult area for TV digital or analog.

I know what you mean. Even though the FCC says that 95% of all households can get at least one digital channel, there are some spots where it's just not feasible. I'm in the same situation here. There is only one channel that I could possibly receive, and I would need one of the largest OTA antennas made with a pre-amp to get it.

83W is a good sat. RTV is great. One thing to watch on 125W is that some of the channels are AC3 audio.

Thank Goodness

Thank Goodness for you Lotech! Yes, you are right about the digital signals here! Very hard to get and IF you are lucky to get one if the wind blows or you take a pee it's gone....pity people don't understand that.

Thank You for your input and the warning about the AC3 audio...Thank you very much!

If budget and LOS permits...how about a dish with a motor? That would get many more satellites while only using one dish and still would be able to be hidden. Personally I would find it hard to choose between just one or two satellites. Plus things have a tendency to move around.

Hi Ironsides and the group, have you looked into one of the basic subscription packages like Dish Family? Does not cost much and your friend could then get the locals. I would think he would want the locals for local news and weather. If that is out of the question then maybe consider a dual LNB setup for the PrimeStar. Maybe something like 83W and 72W for RTV and the NBC Mux. That would get your friend a nice mix of Old TV shows and current news and WX. It not that pair then maybe another - any pair of satellites that is at least 4 degrees apart but less then 15 or so should be doable with one dish and an adjustable multi LNB holder. Hope this helps, DC

My vote would be for EITHER 83 or 101, but you forgot to mention something in your first posting. HOW BIG is the dish going to be? You might try searching eBay for a multi sat bracket. I don't know how to post links without putting the whole string of the address, but I just bought two of these to go on 1.2m non moving dishes, and if I aim the 1.2m dish correctly, I can have four different sats on EACH dish.

If you'd like, I can send you a PM with the link, and they are only @12.99, free shipping.

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.