When are the new HD channels launching?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They actually have the capacity and do have 200 HD channels carried now. Many of them are PPVs and RSNs (which are still on CONUS).
They are very nearly at capacity now and that capacity is indeed consumed with quite a bit of PPV and RSN programming.

DIRECTV is a little over a barrel on the launch of DIRECTV 12. They're pushing for a launch on Christmas Eve, the 29th or early in January. The problem is that there is a "priority" (government) launch already tentatively scheduled for those same dates. It remains to be seen whether the courtesy they they extended to Eutelsat for their W7 launch will be returned to them now.

Here's anik's currently speculated Proton-M/Briz-M schedule:

November 23 – Eutelsat W7 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur – 14:19:39 UTC
December 24 – Raduga-1M (Globus-1M) – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur (or
beginning of year – DirecTV 12 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur
beginning of February – Intelsat 16 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur
beginning of March – EchoStar 14 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur
beginning of April – OS-1 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur
beginning of May – BADR-5 – Proton-M/Briz-M – Baikonur

Anatoly Zak of russianspaceweb.com offers this:
russianspaceweb.com said:
Dec. 24 or Dec 29 or beginning of 2010: A Proton to launch the DirecTV 12 communications satellite from Baikonur. (Delayed from late September 2009 by the payload owner). As of mid-October 2009, the officially planned launch date in December 2009 was considered unlikely. For a December 2009 launch window, the DirecTV mission conflicted with Proton's federal launch (see above), which was likely to get priority over a commercial payload. At the same time, the DirecTV mission was under pressure to launch before the end of 2009, in order to use an unusual launch azimuth enabling reaching an initial parking orbit with the inclination 48 degrees toward the Equator, agreed with the government of Kazakhstan. Even though different launch pads were available for two missions, the personnel availability would normally require a five-day break between Proton launches.

Maybe a new person in charge will realize that premium HD channels are needed.

The only way they will realize it is if subs call or write to ask when we are getting HD. According ot Stone Cold, he doesn't get that many inquiries/complaints about HD.

I write in once a month or so asking when the new channels (specifically listing each one) are coming. I encourage everyone else on here who is anxious for new HD to do the same so that they know it is desired by their subs.

I agree with TV Predictions' Phillip Swann: DirecTV seems to be resting on their laurels. More national channels—like AMC HD, WGN America HD, and complete premium-movie suites from HBO, Starz, and Showtime—need to be added. If DirecTV takes this for granted, people will get tired of waiting.

I agree with TV Predictions' Phillip Swann: DirecTV seems to be resting on their laurels. More national channels—like AMC HD, WGN America HD, and complete premium-movie suites from HBO, Starz, and Showtime—need to be added. If DirecTV takes this for granted, people will get tired of waiting.

I don't agree.

I'm happy with what DIRECTV has for HD channels now.

It will be nice when they add more HD nationals, but I'm not going to sit around worrying about when the new channels are coming.

I think they've openly stated that it's an issue with lost revenue on premium channels. The biggest money-maker for the premium channels are the original series. I guess as long as DirecTV is carrying the main feeds in HD, they feel like that's enough.

It will be interesting to see if they add more non-Starz movie channels once the new sat launches.

If I can pay $12 with subscriber X and get all 26 HBO/MAX channels or go with DirecTV and get the HBO/MAX package, I am with the first company. It adds overall.

DirecTV needs to look at the fact that people consider those packages in their overall decision. I know now they aren't serious about the HBO/MAX channels. I got elsewhere soon!

What is everyone's wish list for national HD channels?

Mine would be AMC HD, Travel Channel HD, WGN HD, along with more HBO's and Cinemax HD channels.

What is everyone's wish list for national HD channels?

Mine would be AMC HD, Travel Channel HD, WGN HD, along with more HBO's and Cinemax HD channels.

Your list is good with the exception of WGN in my book. I would like AMC for Breaking Bad and Mad Men and Travel Channel for obvious reasons. I have been preaching for the HBO/MAX HD channels (all 26 of them), since the 2007 announcement about us getting 11 of them in Dec 2007.

I had FIOS until I moved and can get it again in two months. FIOS has all premium channels that exist in HD, in HD. Except for Starz HD west on the east coast for some reason.

I would like to see Turner Classic Movies (TCM, not TMC like some mistake it for) in HD on FIOS or DirecTV.

I would be pretty happy if they added TCM, AMC, and the Travel Channel. I'd like Encore (east) too.

For a long time I wanted HBO & Max channels, but I gave up and unsub'ed to them, due to their lack of HD.

I would be pretty happy if they added TCM, AMC, and the Travel Channel. I'd like Encore (east) too.

For a long time I wanted HBO & Max channels, but I gave up and unsub'ed to them, due to their lack of HD.

They have plenty of HD.... OAR, no, but HD, yes.

If I am dipping my feet in for a taste of a movie I don't want to commit to buying, 16x9 HD is a great way to try things out. If I then discovery I have found a hidden gem, I'll dive right in and buy the bluray disc.

It isn't like I wait for a theatrical release to come out on HBO or Cinemax if it is something I have had my eye on seeing. I'll long since have had bought it on bluray before that happens. I really count on HBO/MAX for the stuff I would otherwise not see and for some of the series.

It is a very good feeling having all 26 channels in HD. Just flipping on a lazy afternoon, or setting the DVR to record something that looks good.

In the absence of FIOS right now I will look through Access magazine at the premium movie channel alphabetical list and then circle a movie that looks good for recording. What a let down when I can only find it on one of the non-HD multichannels. There is no such similar problem with FIOS. If it is in HD and it is on HBO Zone HD, I get it. None of that making sure I don't record the SD version bologna.

I cannot believe D* doesn't even have HBO2 or Moremax HD for God sakes. That is pretty sad.

They have plenty of HD.... OAR, no, but HD, yes.

I cannot believe D* doesn't even have HBO2 or Moremax HD for God sakes. That is pretty sad.

Your statement above is in response to my statement that D* doesn't offer much HD in their HBO and CineMax lineups. They absolutely do not offer "plenty of HD" in these tiers. They effectively offer only 1 HBO channel in HD (in both the east & west time zones). So I was paying about $10-$12 a month for 1 movie channel.

I know I was getting several other HBO channels in SD, but I don't watch SD.

Then I was paying another $10-$12/mon for effectively one channel of CineMax.

I don't know why I waited so long to cancel these two. I guess I kept expecting D* to add more of their HD channels. I was a fool.

Your statement above is in response to my statement that D* doesn't offer much HD in their HBO and CineMax lineups. They absolutely do not offer "plenty of HD" in these tiers. They effectively offer only 1 HBO channel in HD (in both the east & west time zones). So I was paying about $10-$12 a month for 1 movie channel.

I know I was getting several other HBO channels in SD, but I don't watch SD.

Then I was paying another $10-$12/mon for effectively one channel of CineMax.

I don't know why I waited so long to cancel these two. I guess I kept expecting D* to add more of their HD channels. I was a fool.

I think we are mixing up each others thoughts and responses.

Number of HBO/MAX HD channels in existence in the US= 26

Number of these channels offered by DirecTV= 4

The problem is with DirecTV, not the parent company of HBO, Time Warner.

I wasn't saying DirecTV has a lot of HD offerings on HBO. I was saying HBO has a lot of HD offerings. DirecTV just doesn't carry them. I am one to run around and complain about this. I had FIOS with all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD. Then I moved and am stuck with the 4 carried by DirecTV. There was a June 2007 press release by DirecTV (not TW) that says by Dec 2007 they would carry 11 channels of HBO and MAX in HD. Well... they don't.

I meant the offerings by HBO/MAX that exist in HD in the strictest sense. Not the pathetic offerings of DirecTV. Sorry about the mixup.

Yes, the fact that HBO/MAX offers so much HD, and D* passes along so little of it, despite charging the full rate plus an HD option premium, is very frustrating.

And then to say D* even offers 4 of them is to be generous to D*. For what good is having East and West feeds count as two when one has a HD DVR?

They couldn't really offer any less and still claim they have HBO in HD. But this is the path they have chosen to go with their bandwidth limits. Sports gets the bandwidth and premium channels don't.

Oh, and I agree with Freddy & crew, I'd like to have Chiller HD too, along with AMC, TCM, Travel and Encore. Getting those five channels in HD would make me a happy camper.

Man, Ive been happy with my move back to D* from Fios just because the Fios DVR and guide data is so horrible. But, I am missing all of the HD channels. No big deal though, with a 3 year old and #2 on the way, I dont have time to watch them all anyhow.

Man, Ive been happy with my move back to D* from Fios just because the Fios DVR and guide data is so horrible. But, I am missing all of the HD channels. No big deal though, with a 3 year old and #2 on the way, I dont have time to watch them all anyhow.

Congrats on the kid.... my #3 will be here in a couple days and with an existing 22 month old and 12 year old tween brat, time is limited but I still miss my FIOS and all that. Even for the three hours you get away from it all once in a blue moon, FIOS is much appreciated for all the channels. I would like the DirecTV DVR and channel system with the FIOS channels and DVR capacity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.