When are the new HD channels launching?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was with Dish in 2004-2005 and the HD was incredible then. I believe there were some transponders that were carrying only 2 HD channels, and most of them had only 3 channels. Channels like HDNET were getting 15-16 Mbps. The fine detail was excellent, there was almost no contour banding or compression artifacts. It was reasonably close to Blu-Ray quality.

That was using MPEG-2 and less sophisticated encoders. With the new gear, you could probably approach the same quality with 4 HD channels per transponder, but no one is going to give us that.

I had some recordings from that era on my DVR, saving a few of them into mid-2006, about a year after E* reduced the bandwidth. I had a copy of 2001, it was marvelous. Facial detail on closeups was incredible.

But within 2 years, E*'s HD PQ had fallen considerably. Some channels approaching DVD quality, or worse in some aspects.

Today's DirecTV HD quality is decent, but definitely a couple of notches below what we had back in 2005. It is now softer, struggles with low contrast scenes, and has some breakup in strong reds and oranges, all signs of down-rezzing and compression.

I do not expect satellite HD to ever go back to the quality of those glory days. Too many HD channels to carry and it is too expensive to give them that much bandwidth. I just hope that we can maintain the PQ that D* is offering now.

To me,as far as new HD channels go,I'm probably watching the same HD channels on D* that I did on Charter.My mother watches History HD,but that's about it as far as HD channels that we didn't get on Charter goes. FX,Spike TV,USA Network just don't have programing that interest me(all of the channels,except USA,are channels not received in HD on Charter). The only "new(to me) channel I'd like to get from D* is Versus(I'm a recent customer so I've never seen Versus on D* & only got Versus SD on Charter). Also,I'd be interested in BBC America HD,but I don't think anybody is getting that. As far as new HD channels go,is it an HD channel I'd watch?

They will have to provide more specific information at some point. As stated earlier, they are already marketing an expansion of the HD channels. For that marketing to really mean something to the potential D* customer, or to current D* customers thinking about upgrading to HD, it has to become more than marketing fluff.

It seems to me, that it is nothing more than marketing fluff, to promote xmas sales to go with all those new hdtv's everybody will be getting. If they really want to open up potential subscribers eyes (like myself), they need to establish a timeline for the additional "200 hd channels", including when Versus is coming back.

The W7 Satellite was launched today with no problems (so far). At the end of the webcast they put up a slide saying DirecTV12 is next in late December. So keep your fingers crossed that D12 goes as well as W7 went.

As far i know at this moment..expect to see MSNBC HD & QVC HD to be added in the first batch

I mean more specific with where you get your information. I'm not looking for names or numbers, just enough to give you some credibility. Do you know someone at Directv?

As far i know at this moment..expect to see MSNBC HD & QVC HD to be added in the first batch

If this is true, I couldn't be less excited.

I even watch MSNBC on occasion, but would not have that channel in my top 10. I don't need to watch talking heads in HD.

Let's hope the rest of the "batch" is more useful.

If this is true, I couldn't be less excited.

I even watch MSNBC on occasion, but would not have that channel in my top 10. I don't need to watch talking heads in HD.

Let's hope the rest of the "batch" is more useful.
MSNBC HD will be nice for the 2010 games.

And it takes a real JACKASS to flame a newbie to this forum, but not new to forums.

Let's see: Title of subject "When are the new HD channels launching?"

And 9 pages with ZERO answers to the OP just a bunch of whinging and speculation. -i.e. I was stating the obvious.

And HEY WHEN ARE NEW HD CHANNELS COMING TO DIRECTV?????

You might want to get used to it.....if you are not one of the good ol" boys (whom are apparently all experts on everything).:rolleyes:

You might want to get used to it.....if you are not one of the good ol" boys (whom are apparently all experts on everything).:rolleyes:

I think they will come when the satellite if official deployed into space. Then as many have speculated they will transition the NFLST channels to New HD Channels. So may be late Jan to Early Feb. That is my guess.

On a side note dont lose to Bama. I dislike both teams as a Georgia Bulldogs fan but Florida is much better and easier to watch.

I think they will come when the satellite if official deployed into space. Then as many have speculated they will transition the NFLST channels to New HD Channels. So may be late Jan to Early Feb. That is my guess.

On a side note dont lose to Bama. I dislike both teams as a Georgia Bulldogs fan but Florida is much better and easier to watch.

Reviewing some recent FCC documents, looking at what DirecTV's test plan is you're probably going to have to wait until April/May for D12 to start broadcasting new channels. :(

Reviewing some recent FCC documents, looking at what DirecTV's test plan is you're probably going to have to wait until April/May for D12 to start broadcasting new channels. :(
Being with DTV they should be used to waiting. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)