When DirecTV does a software download

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
This has me curious. I know when they do a software download it's not like they push a button and the whole country gets it at once. A few days ago, I began reading that they had started to do the one that would correct the problem that causes recordings to automatically delete themselves. I figured it might take a few days for me to get it and that was fine. Sure enough at 3:07 this morning I got it. When I tried later, it fixed the problem.

Now here's what I'm curious about. I live in a duplex and the guy next door also has DirecTV. I got the download but he didn't . I always just assumed downloads were sent to everybody in specific region or state or something like that at the same time. Is it really so narrow that it's by individual receivers or accounts?

This has me curious. I know when they do a software download it's not like they push a button and the whole country gets it at once. A few days ago, I began reading that they had started to do the one that would correct the problem that causes recordings to automatically delete themselves. I figured it might take a few days for me to get it and that was fine. Sure enough at 3:07 this morning I got it. When I tried later, it fixed the problem.

Now here's what I'm curious about. I live in a duplex and the guy next door also has DirecTV. I got the download but he didn't . I always just assumed downloads were sent to everybody in specific region or state or something like that at the same time. Is it really so narrow that it's by individual receivers or accounts?

It's usually by geography and then by receiver model number, so for example all HR44-700s in Dallas might get the download the same night. But there are many exceptions. I for example had two HR20-700s that once got updated two days apart.

Hey, you said you got the download at 3:07am, how do you know or check to see if you got a download, can you tell me??
If you know what the D/L number is you can check your recvr here:

Menu/Settings/
In the Info and Test page it has 4 different sets of Information, the Software version is the bottom one. It will also tell you what time and day it was d/l ed.

Hey, you said you got the download at 3:07am, how do you know or check to see if you got a download, can you tell me??
Hit "menu", then scroll down to "settings and help, hit that and when that changes hit the settings icon. The info page will appear and you'll find it there.

Or just hold the info button down for a few seconds.

What state are you in?

It's usually by geography and then by receiver model number, so for example all HR44-700s in Dallas might get the download the same night. But there are many exceptions. I for example had two HR20-700s that once got updated two days apart.

What texasbrit stated is correct. My HR20s received it last week on 6/5. My R22s received it this morning, 6/12. So location, then receiver model. For me, it's usually around 3am BTW.

What state are you in?
I'm in New York, but as it turns out he got his download early the next morning around the same time. I checked all four of my DVDrs and they all got it, that first night, at different times and all within a window of about 40 minutes.

He doesn't have a lot of patience and after the problem first occurred, he must have called DirecTV at least 3 or 4 times about when they were going to fix it. So I kidded him and told him that they must have flagged his account "troublemaker- do his last". ;)

When DirecTV does a software download . . .

The wee hours of the night.
unless you are up watching TV...then it can be done in the early morning. When I worked overnights and would be home I'd see downloads at 7AM instead of 2 or 3AM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts