“When Hope Calls” has 4x3 Aspect Ratio

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
“When Hope Calls” on Hallmark channel 185 has a 4x3 Aspect Ratio with Black bars on either side. The bar on the right side says HD. Since this series was only produced last season I would have expected it to use wide screen 16x9. Is this something that Dish did or did Hallmark do this?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I tested “When Hope Calls” format by watching season1 episode1 on my Apple TV Hallmark app. It is also 4x3 Aspect ratio with black bars on both sides. So it is not Dish but Hallmark that is releasing the series in a 4x3 Aspect ratio.
It is strange that Hallmark would produce a new series in HD but use a 4x3 Aspect ratio. Despite this I will enjoy watching a family friendly program. Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries are my 2 most watched channels.
I just noticed that some of the titles in the opening credits were cut off so this was originally wide screen. Hopefully Hallmark will fix this for future episodes.

I tested “When Hope Calls” format by watching season1 episode1 on my Apple TV Hallmark app. It is also 4x3 Aspect ratio with black bars on both sides. So it is not Dish but Hallmark that is releasing the series in a 4x3 Aspect ratio.
It is strange that Hallmark would produce a new series in HD but use a 4x3 Aspect ratio. Despite this I will enjoy watching a family friendly program. Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries are my 2 most watched channels.

It was produced in 16x9 Widescreen HD. I saw a couple of episodes when my sister watched it off the subscription Hallmark Movies Now service when it was originally released back before Christmas. The first episode was also originally shown on Hallmark in widescreen HD as a teaser to get people to subscribe to Hallmark Movies Now.

This may have just been a mistake on Hallmarks part or they are showing it 4x3 for the linear tv broadcast and keeping the 16x9 for the subscription streaming service

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and dweber
I just noticed that some of the titles in the opening credits were cut off so this was originally wide screen. Hopefully Hallmark will fix this for future episodes.

Time to get the better half on this as soon as possible.:biggrin

“When Hope Calls” on Hallmark channel 185 has a 4x3 Aspect Ratio with Black bars on either side. The bar on the right side says HD. Since this series was only produced last season I would have expected it to use wide screen 16x9. Is this something that Dish did or did Hallmark do this?

Whenever there are bars on the side with "HD" or the network logo in them, that is done by the network. Dish wouldn't put black HD bars or the logo bars that you see on some programs.
Seems to me the station messed up by overlaying the bars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)