When is E* getting FoxHD??

dispatcher_21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Walla Walla,WA
Now that D* seems to be getting FoxHD somewhat going, when will E* start it up? I thought that part of the agreement when Murdoch bough D* was that they couldnt keep channels like this exclusive, that they had to allow their competitors to carry them. Comments, rumors, thoughts?? I my self think that when AMC-15 goes operational, we will see it along with NBC-HD and Bravo-HD. But that may just be wishful thinking.

No that was just a rumor. They don't have the space and will be putting it up after football season. Scott had it posted in some other post.

News Corp has to allow Charlie the option of getting FOX-HD at fair market value. Me thinks Charlie is being a tightwad like usual.

korsjs said:
No that was just a rumor. They don't have the space and will be putting it up after football season. Scott had it posted in some other post.
Since my question was "Isn't there a rumor...", your answer should have been, "Yes. There is such a rumor. But, the real reason is they don't have the space..."

But D* not having space isn't true either, since it's already sitting on their satellites, so space is not one of the issues...

When hell freezes over. Don't you remember what Charlie said? There isn't any HD worth offering. Instead of letting you make that choice, he has made that choice for you. He plans on charging you $10 for a few channels until you scream uncle.

My advice unless you switch to Voom;

Get use to it.

Neutron said:
News Corp has to allow Charlie the option of getting FOX-HD at fair market value. Me thinks Charlie is being a tightwad like usual.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think "fair market value" has anything to do with it.

News Corp can charge whatever they want BUT.....they have to charge everyone the same. The rub is he can put a high price on it and it doesn't really hurt Direct TV so much because it's basically going out the front door and coming back in the back door anyway.

I wouldn't think he'd want to do that. I wouldn't think News Corp. would want to give any reason to believe or even suspect that they were keeping FOX HD exclusive by using pricing with other service providers.

waltinvt said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think "fair market value" has anything to do with it.

News Corp can charge whatever they want BUT.....they have to charge everyone the same. The rub is he can put a high price on it and it doesn't really hurt Direct TV so much because it's basically going out the front door and coming back in the back door anyway.

True they have to charge everyone the same but that also includes cable companies.

It's unlikely News Corp. would play a game like this for a variety of reasons.

1. If they priced the channels significantly higher than CBS or NBC it would immediately raise red flags and draw attention.

2. It would be unlikely to succeed. If E* feels D* is attempting to obtain an unfair advantage through it's relationship with News Corp (FOX) E* can demand 3rd party arbitration.

3. While it's true that News Corp owns a majority of D* it is still a separate publicly traded company and answerable to it's shareholders and board of directors. Playing games that in some way effect D* bottom line would not be viewed favorably.

IMHO

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
True they have to charge everyone the same but that also includes cable companies.

It's unlikely News Corp. would play a game like this for a variety of reasons.

1. If they priced the channels significantly higher than CBS or NBC it would immediately raise red flags and draw attention.

2. It would be unlikely to succeed. If E* feels D* is attempting to obtain an unfair advantage through it's relationship with News Corp (FOX) E* can demand 3rd party arbitration.

3. While it's true that News Corp owns a majority of D* it is still a separate publicly traded company and answerable to it's shareholders and board of directors. Playing games that in some way effect D* bottom line would not be viewed favorably.

IMHO

NightRyder
What you say makes sense but I believe there must be something going on below the radar.

First it looked like DTV was all set to bring FoxHD on as a full time channel. They even listed it in EPG, then took it off, then put it back and ultimitly put the channel up for only the NLB playoffs and series.

At the same time there was an undocumented rumor floated about Dish taking "legal" action to stop or hinder DTV's plans to put up FoxHD. Then there was a rumor floated that the "rumor" was a rumor. Nothing credible since then - either way other than DTV is still running the series in HD.

Personally I think EVERYTHING digital is in a holding pattern until they see what Congress does or doesn't do in their lame-duck session.
WaltinVt

I read in the last 1-2 weeks in this or the other forum (big help I know) that apparently Dish recently rearranged channels on 61.5 to free up a transponder. Maybe Fox HD & NBC HD?????

My guess about FoxHD on Dish

Tahoerob said:
I read in the last 1-2 weeks in this or the other forum (big help I know) that apparently Dish recently rearranged channels on 61.5 to free up a transponder. Maybe Fox HD & NBC HD?????
Yea, something's going on. I'm in the Burlington, Vt DMA. I have 61.5 for CBSHD and I just noticed in the 811's EPG that a couple of the Boston stations have been added (in red). They're not listed in my 508's guide, so I'm assumming they're just on the 61.5 dish.

Maybe Dish made a quiet deal with DTV. Maybe in exchange for backing and letting DTV have a FoxHD exclusive for the playoffs and world series, Dish will get a better contract for the permenant Fox HD.

More details BFG? I'm a bit on the fence if I wanna throw up my old dish 300 system for 148 or not (wife isn't excited about an extra satelite on the house for just CBS-HD). Are they really looking at adding more channels to the wings? I hadn't done anything because I was assuming that I would wait for a superdish to use 105 for any HD not on 110/119.

Oh the waiting game drives me nuts!

DishBacker said:
More details BFG? I'm a bit on the fence if I wanna throw up my old dish 300 system for 148 or not (wife isn't excited about an extra satelite on the house for just CBS-HD). Are they really looking at adding more channels to the wings? I hadn't done anything because I was assuming that I would wait for a superdish to use 105 for any HD not on 110/119.

Oh the waiting game drives me nuts!

I got one added last year via the free install for must carry stations. My real purpose was to have access to HD channels that were on 61.5 at that time. Thsu, it cost me nada!! I still use it now only for CBS HD. However, there keeps resurfacing rumors of Dish going back to 61.5 for HD??

question:
Even if we get Fox-HD I'm assuming our local football games will be blacked out right?

Heh, I'm just waiting like everyone else ;) But I'm hoping that when DirecTV adds Fox is when Dish will also...

As to football games, I think I've read that how it works is if the same game that's on the Fox feed is the same game your station is showing (this being for the O&O scenario), you'll get it, otherwise you'll be blacked out. If you'll be getting Fox with Distants then nothing should be blacked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)