When is MPEG2 going away?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisClearman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
I have the RCA HD box from 2+ years ago.

I know when the new birds go up the HD content will all be MPEG4, and I have to assume they will move all other HD channels to MPEG4.

At that point I guess the old MPEG2 HD boxes go off air?

As they are giving the boxes away for free to current subscribers I'm sure that's the route I can go...but I KNOW they will hit me up for another 2 yr commit.

It's too bad, that RCA HD box is really great and actually has a working RF remote standard.

Nothing in stone, but I would say NOT before 2009 at the earliest. Heck, there might even be another upgrade or tech possibility by then.

charper,
Really? Why do you think that? You think they are going to continue MPEG2 compression for the current HD line-up? I would think they would move to MPEG4 with the new sats. Save bandwidth.

Jimbo,
I'm getting the HR20 next week to replae a SD DTV PVR unit.

The HR20 guide says the RF remote is an optional accessory you can purchase, not standard. No?

charper,
Really? Why do you think that? You think they are going to continue MPEG2 compression for the current HD line-up? I would think they would move to MPEG4 with the new sats. Save bandwidth.

Jimbo,
I'm getting the HR20 next week to replae a SD DTV PVR unit.

The HR20 guide says the RF remote is an optional accessory you can purchase, not standard. No?

Sorry Chris,
When I bought mine, it was included, but since then, Iam not sure what the status is.
D* won't be in a real big hurry to move to mpeg4, because that would require a ton of people getting new receivers in order to watch what they already currently recieve.
Though they will try to get people to move to the mpeg 4, they won't force it for quite awhile yet.... I would bet 2009 at the earliest.
Were already into '07

Jimbo

Don't know Chris; just a best-guess hunch. I just can't see MPEG2 going away 100% within 2 years. Yeah, the sooner the better I think, I just think 2009 is an early guesstamate.

I got my HR20 this past Saturday and it came with the standard Remote. I was a little disappointed as I thought the RF was standard on the H20, but the Tech told me that D* has the RF remote available for purchase online.

install date isn't until next week, but it looks like it will be the IR remote. not a big deal, I have line of site in the bedroom, but in the living room I would need the RF If I ever upgrade to the DVR.

I really like the original RCA HD box I have running though and don't really need DVR in there. I watch everything live and make my wife watch the TiVo'd shows in the bedroom!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)