When recording a scheduled event, Hopper changes the channel with tuners available

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Hey guys, I have a question.

I just got a HWS and 2 joeys , recently and I've had a small problem, whenever a schedules recording is going to start and my wife is watching TV at the living room(hopper location) she gets booted from live TV into the recording while having the other two tuners available.

My question is if this can be avoided with some setting? is the hopper smart enough to know which tuners are not in use and use those? If not, how do I set timers for specific tuners so at least the wife doesn't kill me :eek:

Thanks!

This has been one of my main complaints since day 1, personally. Not sure how the Dish engineers could look over something so crucial for over a year now. It's one of the main reasons I ever got more than 2 Hoppers. Our household could probably make do with 2 or 3 Hoppers, but with recordings randomly interrupting Live TV for no reason at all it just didn't work out. 4 Hoppers is working great, but Dish should still look into fixing this issue. I know that the hardware is capable of being this smart, it's just a matter of whether or not the software engineers can/will create the software capable of doing such.

This has been one of my main complaints since day 1, personally. Not sure how the Dish engineers could look over something so crucial for over a year now. It's one of the main reasons I ever got more than 2 Hoppers. Our household could probably make do with 2 or 3 Hoppers, but with recordings randomly interrupting Live TV for no reason at all it just didn't work out. 4 Hoppers is working great, but Dish should still look into fixing this issue. I know that the hardware is capable of being this smart, it's just a matter of whether or not the software engineers can/will create the software capable of doing such.

Thanks for the info, now I know that I'm not crazy :) I am trying to teach the wife how to switch tuners using the red button when the channel gets interrupted. Dish should fix this in the HWS especially since it has better hardware than the original one.

I will be calling CS today and seeing if I could get another hopper just to please the wife and eliminate a joey before the 22nd. *fingers crossed*

_____________________________________EDIT__________________________________________________

Really thought about it and I think I'll just live with the conflicts. I will have a busy schedule this week so I won't be able to have the install done on time anyways. Plus later on if grandfathering gets removed, that second hopper will screw me up and I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. I'm hoping for a software update, it should be simple, a command in the code that makes the hopper verify if the other tuners are in use and take over one of them.

Last edited:
I also have a problem with the way the Hopper uses tuners while recording, and I've filed a request for a fix with DIRT. My problem is that if one is using the 2 min early/2 min late recording option and recording consecutive shows on the same channel, the Hopper will use 2 tuners during the 4 minute recording overlap. It should be smarter than that.

Perhaps it is the 2 before and 2 after. The 722, and probably Hopper too, have "problems" if you exceeded 1 before or 3 after, in that it would force a separate recording of each show using 2 tuners instead of keeping it on the one tuner and truncating the shows. The complaint on back-to-back recordings often was that it would not use separate recordings so you lost the end or beginning of shows because the stations could not hit the timing right. We can't have it both ways, I guess. Although some claimed that DirecTV gave them both sides of the change-over. How? Why can't they put a commercial or promo on the change and give us 2 clean recordings?
-Ken

The wife told me to call dish and replace her joey with a hopper so I could keep my recordings away from her live TV. Chatted with CS and got offered the $7 monthly fee for a second hopper (2000 reg model). The hopper was free of charge. I will get a sling adapter later on though its not really needed right now since we only have 1 streaming user. I hope these fees stay for existing customers for a while, as soon as they go up I will remove the second hopper. For now the bill stays the same since the hopper will cost the same as the joey it will be replacing.

The install will be on Wednesday morning. I still can't believe I got two hoppers for free as an existing sub(HWS and the H2000 thats going to be installed)

Perhaps it is the 2 before and 2 after. The 722, and probably Hopper too, have "problems" if you exceeded 1 before or 3 after, in that it would force a separate recording of each show using 2 tuners instead of keeping it on the one tuner and truncating the shows. The complaint on back-to-back recordings often was that it would not use separate recordings so you lost the end or beginning of shows because the stations could not hit the timing right. We can't have it both ways, I guess. Although some claimed that DirecTV gave them both sides of the change-over. How? Why can't they put a commercial or promo on the change and give us 2 clean recordings?
-Ken
I use -2 +2 because I DO want to make sure I record the overlaps and not have anything truncated. If I have back-to-back on the same channel and recording the overlaps on 2 separate tuners will cause a conflict with a 3rd recording, I'll just skip the back-to-back timer events and set up a manual timer for that channel.

Does this happen in with the joey too?

i.e. If I am watching a recording on the joey when the hopper starts recording a show it won't change channels will it? I'm scheduled for an install saturday. Not too late to bail and go with dirctv

Recording and viewing are separate streams unless the view was picked up from the recording.
So no it would not stop the Joey's view.
This would make you drop Dish?????
-Ken

Just super annoying to have live tv interrupted when a new recording starts. That's really just an epic fail. Good thing it could be patched with software if they wanted to make it happen.

Hey guys, I have a question.

I just got a HWS and 2 joeys , recently and I've had a small problem, whenever a schedules recording is going to start and my wife is watching TV at the living room(hopper location) she gets booted from live TV into the recording while having the other two tuners available.

My question is if this can be avoided with some setting? is the hopper smart enough to know which tuners are not in use and use those? If not, how do I set timers for specific tuners so at least the wife doesn't kill me :eek:

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here. I have had the original hopper at my parents house and now the HWS at my own house and never had this problem. If I have free tuners when a scheduled recording starts it takes one of those tuners. I have never had it take the one I was using when there are tuners available.

Are they really available? Are you leaving the Joeys on in the other rooms when you are done watching them? If you are the tuner isn't really available. A Joey is using it even though the TV connected to that Joey is turned off. These boxes don't know you left the room and turned the TV off. We had this problem at first until everyone got used to turning off the Joey as well as the TV when they leave the room. When you push the red button to show tuners and one of them actually says available instead of the name a show and the location watching it any scheduled recordings should take that tuner.

If there is another problem you guys are having I haven't experienced it.

I agree completely regarding actually turning the Joeys off when not in use. If they're left on, they're using a tuner.

No, nothing at all to do with Joeys that are turned on.

Are you sure leaving the Joey on does not tell the Hopper a tuner is being used? My sister in law is telling me it does, she wondered the same as the OP. She is telling me if she turns off the Joeys when only one program is set to record it will not interfere with a program they are watching on the Hopper.

Are you sure leaving the Joey on does not tell the Hopper a tuner is being used? My sister in law is telling me it does, she wondered the same as the OP. She is telling me if she turns off the Joeys when only one program is set to record it will not interfere with a program they are watching on the Hopper.

Yes that is what I was getting at. If you leave a Joey on it is using a tuner whether or not the TV is on.

I think what Halo was saying though is this is happening to him even with the Joeys off. I have never experienced this problem myself.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes Joeys use tuners but the issue I was talking about has nothing to do with Joeys.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)