When will I be a new customer again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hoopsbwc34

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Was wondering if someone could tell me this...

If I switch to Comcast for a 6 month deal, but then decide I want to switch back to DirecTV can I rejoin as a new customer? Is there a time you have to wait like 1 year before you are considered a new customer again?

Thanks.

Does it really matter though? It seems that D* is pretty good about giving their existing customers a pretty fair shake (the free DVR after rebate offer for example). If you were talking E* then you'd have a point. They won't even let you have some of their latest equipment if you're not a new subscriber.

hoopsbwc34 said:
Was wondering if someone could tell me this...

If I switch to Comcast for a 6 month deal, but then decide I want to switch back to DirecTV can I rejoin as a new customer? Is there a time you have to wait like 1 year before you are considered a new customer again?

Thanks.

Ummm... do you believe in reincarnation? :D

(Sorry... just couldn't resist!)

You need a new address, name, phone number and if they keep doing credit checks a new social security number.

different phone number, name on account and social security number has worked for many - if married use your wife.

mski

I went round and round on this with DirecTV. I was finally told it is keyed to your address and phone number. Your name and SS#, apparently, has nothing to do with it.

My son had the service at my address with my phone number. When he moved I had to get him to move the service before I could sign up in my name. As long as there was a service listed at my address and phone number I was out of luck. I became a new subscriber a day after he moved the sevice.

Unfortunately, we were also using my standard user name and DirecTV would not give me thatg even after my son canceled.

I was also told that you cannot become a new customer for two years after you cancel. They must keep the information that long. However, this applies to the same address and phone number. BTW, you can give them a cell phone number. My son did that.

i dont know anymore but when i was working for C.C. there was a 5yr "cooling off" period for D*.

E* was sorry once a cust. allways a cust.

My account is under my wifes name now and we moved so that wasn't an issue. I think if I ever drop D* and come back my name should be clear to come back... They never have asked for my SS# so I don't think that is an issue.

I have not been a customer since 1999 and they still had my contact information. I had to sign up as and existing customer but got a pretty good deal none the less:

Free DVR after rebate
$99 HD box
2 New STD receivers
6 months Free HBO, SHO, $5 discount on TC+ and $5 Discount on HD Package
Unfortunately she would not give me a discount on Sunday Ticket, but did get the $49 Superfan.

Oh forgot to mention that I was a customer ever since DirectV and that other company were 2 companies. I think it was USSB or something like that... They owned the Premium networks and D* owned the "basic cable" channels.

And they STILL had my name so we had to put it under my wifes name.

In April 2004 I had cancelled D* when I moved into a new house and changed to the local cable service, so I can have broadband for my internet. I was a customer for over 4 years than. So I signed a year contract with them, very disappointed with the TV side of cable, so I first cancelled the digital cable and kept basic and internet. So in April 2005 I cancelled the TV side of cable and called D*, and said that I was a past customer of a year ago and wanted to reopen my account again. So this customer service guy said no problem and took my old account number and he was offering me a 4 room deal with standard D-10 receivers and free installation. But in the middle of giving him my new address we were disconnected. So I waited 15 minutes for him to call me back, since I have already given him my phone number. But that never happened. So I called back and got a different customer service person, and I explained to her the situation that I just told the other C/S rep. She gave me that same deal as the other guy, but she wouldn't let me reinstate my old account number, so I told her that I just talked to another C/S rep. and he was going to reinstate my account. She said that I can't do that, so I was getting a little pissy and wanted to talk to her supervisor. And after a few minutes he got on the phone and stated that they don't reopen old accounts. Not being happy with that answer, and with nowhere else to go, I lived with that. So now I am happy with D* and also paying for broadband cable for my internet. So why they wouldn't let me reinstate my old account number, I don't know. Does anybody know why I couldn't do that?

Rider69 said:
I have not been a customer since 1999 and they still had my contact information. I had to sign up as and existing customer ....

Were you using the same phone number and at the same address?

when we switched back to directv from comcast, they let us use our old account settings and we got the up to 4 room free d10 receivers deal. We had wayyyy better receivers as "new" customers, however. These were even refurbs that we got as existing customers.

Actually typing D* has nothing to do with the intellitxt adds. This is a practice that has been done for a long time. It is just an abbreviation...

Alvarez said:
My account is under my wifes name now and we moved so that wasn't an issue. I think if I ever drop D* and come back my name should be clear to come back... They never have asked for my SS# so I don't think that is an issue.

Actually, that is not entirely true. If the CSR is at all suspicious of anything, it's quite common for them to have the person they're talking to verify the last four digits of the account holder's social sec. number. I know I've had to do it a few hundred times (I'm a DTV CSR.)

Things that COULD result in having a CSR ask for SS#:

- A flag on your account (a flag is, generally, anytime you're trying to do something illegal or somesuch with your DTV account, like have the zip code changed to one that receives locals, when your current zip doesn't, etc.)
- If you have a password on your account, saying, "it's either ___ or ____"
- If someone who is obviously a minor (or someone not authorized to make account changes) is trying to order a PPV, or anything similar
- Sometimes the CSR will ask, just to be completely sure ;)

And, if you're trying to get "new account" status, the only way DTV will look past it without any real suspicion is if you get married, disconnect your old account, and have your spouse setup a new account in his/her name. If you change addresses/phone number, and set up a new account, and are caught doing so, you'll lose DTV service permanently, and likely have charges pressed for fraud. I seen it happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts