When will I get my locals on directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
When will directv launch the wheeling/steubenville locals? According to the managers of both local stations they have signed contracts with directv to be offered. What is the holdup? I know we don't have a local fox,abc,wb or upn station so they would have to pick these up from pittsburgh but that shouldn't be much of a problem since they're already offered,right?

The holdup might also be that there are so few people in the designated market area that there's almost no value to them offering locals at all. Bigger fish to fry.

H

Hogarth said:
The holdup might also be that there are so few people in the designated market area that there's almost no value to them offering locals at all. Bigger fish to fry.

I disagree! After Dish Network started offering LIL in my market, the SuperDISH's started popping up BIG time... and I'm only a few markets ahead of mikedz4.

~Alan

If they don't get the locals up soon I'm going to have to "move" again to get any local affiliates. The sad thing is that 4 miles east in pa they can get pittsburgh locals and they are much much smaller than my area yet for every four houses i see 3 of them have either directv or dishnetwork. I know many people who are fed up with comcast's rates and would go to dish or direct in a heartbeat if they offered local channels. Once people hear they have to either keep cable or put up an antenna for locals they just either stick with the antenna they have or stick with cable instead of going to a dish service. They've been promising our area locals for 3 years now but still no locals. What's up with that?

D* is probably waiting for SV to launch next week, then they will use local from other markets and launch locals in you area. Give it some time and I am sure that D8 will be launching a bunch of locals at years end or 1Q 2006.

is there a way to tell when/if locals will be launched in my area or if sv locals will be launched in my area next week when they go up?

Let me start by refuting one point:
Hogarth said:
Directv recently announced they will serve locals to three more markets by the end of the year: Rochester, MN/Mason City, IA; Mankato, MN; and Zanesville, OH. These markets will not require new equipment, which means they will be coming from the core 101 slot and the DirecTV 4S satellite.

Mankato and Zanesville have one channel each. Both are in the smallest ten markets. Rochester/Mason City is going the existing transponder space along with Minneapolis.

Therefore, the only real holdup for Wheeling/Steubenville is if DirecTV has bandwidth for these two channels. I suspect that DirecTV could add the market on the same spot-transponder as Pittsburgh. Therefore, I believe the main issue is setting up the Local Receive Facility in the market to backhaul the local channels to the broadcast center.

With DirecTV adding these sub-200 markets, I believe DirecTV will be trying to get all local markets up and running once the DirecTV 9S satellite is launched.

so how can I find out when locals will be launced here or if I will be able to get significantly viewed channels come next week?

mikedz4 said:
so how can I find out when locals will be launced here or if I will be able to get significantly viewed channels come next week?

DirecTV offers a Press Release before launching local channels in a market, and SHVERA doesn't allow you to have "Significantly Viewed" channels unless you have subscribe to your LIL.

So, next week shouldn't bring you anything new. If Greg Bimson is correct about DirecTV being able to add your LIL onto spot-beam as Pittsburgh, then they could announce it at anytime. If they can't, they'll probably wait until DirecTV 9s is launched sometime around the first of the year.

~Alan

well I know I can get the pittsburgh spotbeam since I "moved" there to get locals. Looks like I'm going to have to "move" again after i get my r15 setup in order to get locals.

mikedz4 said:
well I know I can get the pittsburgh spotbeam since I "moved" there to get locals. Looks like I'm going to have to "move" again after i get my r15 setup in order to get locals.

That would be a good plan considering DirecTV has only announced three LIL markets to be added this year... so expect it to be January at the earliest, and most likely Spring.

~Alan

DirecTv has already started launching HD markets in the largest markets so they are starting all over again in a sense adding all the markets in HD. HD requires 6 times the space than what SD does.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts