When will PBS be in HD?

hankster211

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
knoxville TN
It's probably been discussed before, but couldn't find it in a quick search, but I notice on "The List" that some areas receive PBS in HD.

For example Nashville TN - PBS - WNPT (8) on satellite 61.5; channel 6346; TP 13; Spotbeam 7 gets MPEG4 HD

I am in Knoxville TN and we get PBS - WKOP (15) on Satellite 61.5; Channel 9316; TP 07 Spotbeam 6 - MPEG 4 SD.

Just wondering, how come?

Thanks

Mostly depends on transponder space and a deal with those stations.

If there is no room on the spotbeam then chances are it will be awhile before you see those channels in HD in your area.

I would love to have PBS in HD, verses USA, TBS, Discovery, etc. PBS is the ONLY decent channel for intelligent (vs. alien abduction and ghost hunting) HD documentaries.

What I do is use an antenna. I'm filling up my EHD with copies of Nature and Nova.

And? I have a roof antenna. Brings in nearly 50 channels and subchannels in the Washington DC area.

What I do is use an antenna. I'm filling up my EHD with copies of Nature and Nova.

That's a problem for me.......I have an antenna, but as I have posted in another post some time ago, I cannot record my PBS OTA.
I can record all my other locals OTA, but for some reason PBS will not record. It won't even pause...when I try to pause I get a big red circle with a big red slash.

I used to be able to record it but as around November I can't. Dish has been trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but can't figure it out.

I have 2 -VIP612's and they both act the same. Dish suspects that the local PBS station broadcasts some signal that prevents recording.

I have been in email contact with that station engineer and he says that is not the case.

If I could get it through the Dish in HD, it wouldn't be a problem.

But if the only HD channel I want is PBS, getting it on Dish would be nicer that installing a hulking antenna.

I can record all my other locals OTA, but for some reason PBS will not record. It won't even pause...when I try to pause I get a big red circle with a big red slash.
Well, that sucks. I too have 2 612's that have no problem recording WETA. But now that you mention it, I can't record WHUT. At least I can *watch* WHUT on my 612's. On my 722, the sound comes through but the picture is a series of freeze frames.

But if the only HD channel I want is PBS, getting it on Dish would be nicer that installing a hulking antenna.
UHF antennas aren't very big and some are just plain cute. ;)

Well, that sucks. I too have 2 612's that have no problem recording WETA. But now that you mention it, I can't record WHUT. At least I can *watch* WHUT on my 612's. On my 722, the sound comes through but the picture is a series of freeze frames.

UHF antennas aren't very big and some are just plain cute. ;)

Case in point:

Costco - Winegard FreeVision Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna Includes Mounting Bracket

This is what I use mounted in the back of my 1K.4WA Dish with a 25db preamp.
I'm pulling in signals from 80 miles away,but I also live down in the valley with the broadcast towers in the foothills.:)

Still waiting for Dish to carry PBS HD in Detroit (WTVS-HD). Doesn't make sense why they decide to carry Toledo's PBS in HD, but yet they don't carry PBS HD in a city that's 3 times larger 60 miles away!

Case in point:

Costco - Winegard FreeVision Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna Includes Mounting Bracket

This is what I use mounted in the back of my 1K.4WA Dish with a 25db preamp.
I'm pulling in signals from 80 miles away,but I also live down in the valley with the broadcast towers in the foothills.:)
I was thinking of something a whole lot cuter than that, e.g. the Philips MANT940: PhilipsMant940.jpg

That's a problem for me.......I have an antenna, but as I have posted in another post some time ago, I cannot record my PBS OTA.

I used to be able to record it but as around November I can't. Dish has been trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but can't figure it out.

I have 2 -VIP612's and they both act the same. Dish suspects that the local PBS station broadcasts some signal that prevents recording.

I have been in email contact with that station engineer and he says that is not the case.

If I could get it through the Dish in HD, it wouldn't be a problem.

You may want to check AVS forum to see if others in your area are having the same problems. Also that may be able to help w/ what they have found out. I'm pretty sure congress stopped or delayed any use of the OTA to be blocked using DRM's. So don't think that is your problem.

I also would like PBS in HD. I am 184 miles from Dallas which has KERA in HD. I am 163 miles from lubbock which has a PBS station. I don't know the call letters, but assume this is the station I receive. any way no HD. How does Dish decide which station a location gets?

I get my PBS OTA only 8 miles from the transmitter get 4 channels 1 HD 3 SD including a VPT create ( SD) and my local NBC channel. Got a good deal on my antenna at my local Walmart some one had bought it and returned it without the U bolt clamps got a 65.00 antenna for 35.00 had enough stuff in my junk box so that was not a problem. Only reason I found out about it was went in to upgrade a gift card and the manager was there at the customer service desk asked what he charge me as is and that is what I got.

I also would like PBS in HD. I am 184 miles from Dallas which has KERA in HD. I am 163 miles from lubbock which has a PBS station. I don't know the call letters, but assume this is the station I receive. any way no HD. How does Dish decide which station a location gets?

KTXT is the Lubbock PBS station. Just "move" to DFW area.

I guess we are lucky in Charlotte as we are getting 3 PBS networks in HD as part of locals.

WNSC - SC-ETV
WUNG - UNC-TV
WTVI - local PBS affiliate

I too am waiting for my PBS in HD but I take consolation in the fact that I am also waiting for my ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX locals in HD. Charlottesville DMA is near the bottom of the list.

IS DISH required to provide HD to 100% eventually or just 100 % locals in SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts