When will PBS be in HD?

hankster211

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 9, 2011
knoxville TN
It's probably been discussed before, but couldn't find it in a quick search, but I notice on "The List" that some areas receive PBS in HD.

For example Nashville TN - PBS - WNPT (8) on satellite 61.5; channel 6346; TP 13; Spotbeam 7 gets MPEG4 HD

I am in Knoxville TN and we get PBS - WKOP (15) on Satellite 61.5; Channel 9316; TP 07 Spotbeam 6 - MPEG 4 SD.

Just wondering, how come?

Thanks

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Mostly depends on transponder space and a deal with those stations.

If there is no room on the spotbeam then chances are it will be awhile before you see those channels in HD in your area.

Totoro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Boston
I would love to have PBS in HD, verses USA, TBS, Discovery, etc. PBS is the ONLY decent channel for intelligent (vs. alien abduction and ghost hunting) HD documentaries.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
What I do is use an antenna. I'm filling up my EHD with copies of Nature and Nova.

TheKrell

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
And? I have a roof antenna. Brings in nearly 50 channels and subchannels in the Washington DC area.

hankster211

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 9, 2011
knoxville TN
What I do is use an antenna. I'm filling up my EHD with copies of Nature and Nova.

That's a problem for me.......I have an antenna, but as I have posted in another post some time ago, I cannot record my PBS OTA.
I can record all my other locals OTA, but for some reason PBS will not record. It won't even pause...when I try to pause I get a big red circle with a big red slash.

I used to be able to record it but as around November I can't. Dish has been trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but can't figure it out.

I have 2 -VIP612's and they both act the same. Dish suspects that the local PBS station broadcasts some signal that prevents recording.

I have been in email contact with that station engineer and he says that is not the case.

If I could get it through the Dish in HD, it wouldn't be a problem.

Totoro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Boston
But if the only HD channel I want is PBS, getting it on Dish would be nicer that installing a hulking antenna.

TheKrell

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I can record all my other locals OTA, but for some reason PBS will not record. It won't even pause...when I try to pause I get a big red circle with a big red slash.
Well, that sucks. I too have 2 612's that have no problem recording WETA. But now that you mention it, I can't record WHUT. At least I can *watch* WHUT on my 612's. On my 722, the sound comes through but the picture is a series of freeze frames.

But if the only HD channel I want is PBS, getting it on Dish would be nicer that installing a hulking antenna.
UHF antennas aren't very big and some are just plain cute. ;)

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
Well, that sucks. I too have 2 612's that have no problem recording WETA. But now that you mention it, I can't record WHUT. At least I can *watch* WHUT on my 612's. On my 722, the sound comes through but the picture is a series of freeze frames.

UHF antennas aren't very big and some are just plain cute. ;)

Case in point:

Costco - Winegard FreeVision Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna Includes Mounting Bracket

This is what I use mounted in the back of my 1K.4WA Dish with a 25db preamp.
I'm pulling in signals from 80 miles away,but I also live down in the valley with the broadcast towers in the foothills.:)

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Still waiting for Dish to carry PBS HD in Detroit (WTVS-HD). Doesn't make sense why they decide to carry Toledo's PBS in HD, but yet they don't carry PBS HD in a city that's 3 times larger 60 miles away!

TheKrell

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Case in point:

Costco - Winegard FreeVision Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna Includes Mounting Bracket

This is what I use mounted in the back of my 1K.4WA Dish with a 25db preamp.
I'm pulling in signals from 80 miles away,but I also live down in the valley with the broadcast towers in the foothills.:)
I was thinking of something a whole lot cuter than that, e.g. the Philips MANT940: PhilipsMant940.jpg

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
That's a problem for me.......I have an antenna, but as I have posted in another post some time ago, I cannot record my PBS OTA.

I used to be able to record it but as around November I can't. Dish has been trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but can't figure it out.

I have 2 -VIP612's and they both act the same. Dish suspects that the local PBS station broadcasts some signal that prevents recording.

I have been in email contact with that station engineer and he says that is not the case.

If I could get it through the Dish in HD, it wouldn't be a problem.

You may want to check AVS forum to see if others in your area are having the same problems. Also that may be able to help w/ what they have found out. I'm pretty sure congress stopped or delayed any use of the OTA to be blocked using DRM's. So don't think that is your problem.

larryf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
I also would like PBS in HD. I am 184 miles from Dallas which has KERA in HD. I am 163 miles from lubbock which has a PBS station. I don't know the call letters, but assume this is the station I receive. any way no HD. How does Dish decide which station a location gets?

dnero

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 26, 2010
Springfield VT
I get my PBS OTA only 8 miles from the transmitter get 4 channels 1 HD 3 SD including a VPT create ( SD) and my local NBC channel. Got a good deal on my antenna at my local Walmart some one had bought it and returned it without the U bolt clamps got a 65.00 antenna for 35.00 had enough stuff in my junk box so that was not a problem. Only reason I found out about it was went in to upgrade a gift card and the manager was there at the customer service desk asked what he charge me as is and that is what I got.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
I also would like PBS in HD. I am 184 miles from Dallas which has KERA in HD. I am 163 miles from lubbock which has a PBS station. I don't know the call letters, but assume this is the station I receive. any way no HD. How does Dish decide which station a location gets?

KTXT is the Lubbock PBS station. Just "move" to DFW area.

topcat5

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 19, 2006
I guess we are lucky in Charlotte as we are getting 3 PBS networks in HD as part of locals.

WNSC - SC-ETV
WUNG - UNC-TV
WTVI - local PBS affiliate

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
I too am waiting for my PBS in HD but I take consolation in the fact that I am also waiting for my ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX locals in HD. Charlottesville DMA is near the bottom of the list.

IS DISH required to provide HD to 100% eventually or just 100 % locals in SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)