When will SD "go away"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
By what I see on my TV screen(50") when a channel goes HD even though I am SD I am seeing

a downrezzled HD picture even though the provider has not added that channel yet to their

HD lineup.

Alot believe that if all SD was eliminated they would get their HD channels that they want faster?.

Good Luck with that idea you will get them when the contract is signed providing the channel

provider has that channel is HD.;)

Also Dish's 625 is the most awesome DVR on the market.This is my opinion after

using DirecTV's R15/R22/HR10-250.The main reason is the 625 has a 2 hour pause

and 2-120 minute live buffers.:D

I shall truly miss this DVR(625) when the change comes and may return to a standard

receiver(no DVR).:(

Have you been exposed to other DVRs? Much of what the 625 became was adapted from the ViP622.

The above post should answer your question.:)

So Dish's 622 has 2-120 minute live buffers?.

If the 722k would have 2-120 minute live buffers,then the 722k would also be the same

in my opinion as the Dish 625.;)

So, the only thing you care about is the 120 minute buffer? The increased recording space, EHD capability, High Definition, Dish Online and the possibility of 4 streams (2 OTA 2 sat) don't appeal to you?

So, the only thing you care about is the 120 minute buffer? The increased recording space, EHD capability, High Definition, Dish Online and the possibility of 4 streams (2 OTA 2 sat) don't appeal to you?

The 2-120 minute live buffers help the Dish 625 be better than anything DirecTV has

in my opinion.The other items you quoted helps make the Dish ViPs a good HDDVR.

But the DirecTV HR2xs and R22s have 2-90 live buffers so any improvement to the

ViPs live buffers would be an addition to help make the ViPs the best HDDVR in the

satellite industry.Some have said that the ViPs are the best HDDVR in the market

right now as it is.I say if the Dish ViPs had live buffers with at least the same amount of time or longer

than DirecTV's live buffers then in my opinion it would be.:)

I tend to agree, if the buffers were longer it would be better.

But more importantly, keep the dang tuners active and buffering while I'm watching a recording, just in case when I go back to live I might want to rewind whatever was already on. That is very frustrating.

Heck even a 60 minute buffer is better than that dread I had with the DirecTV TiVo. It only lets you pause for 30 minutes which is not enough time for long bathroom breaks. I really hated the TiVo. Will never use that terrible DVR again.l

So Dish's 622 has 2-120 minute live buffers?.
No, it does not.

I've personally never found myself using a buffer of more than 20 minutes (just about how far into a program I need to wait so I can skip ALL of the commercials) so I'm glad that there isn't an extra 220 minute (~9-12GB) set-aside and I can use the space to record a couple of full-length movies or an entire sporting event instead.

Life is too short to watch things live.

The SD channels will go away when all the equipment in the field is 8PSK MPEG4.

Its getting to the point right now where you can't buy a TV that is 4x3 anymore, and can't get anything with less than 720P resolution.

The TV's are not so much a factor, as getting an all MPEG 4 platform in customers homes. The problem with Dish is that this is a double edge knife....

One one hand they want everyone with an MPEG4 solution, yet we still have standard definition receivers out in the field, that are being sold because they are lease returns

No, it does not.

I've personally never found myself using a buffer of more than 20 minutes (just about how far into a program I need to wait so I can skip ALL of the commercials) so I'm glad that there isn't an extra 220 minute (~9-12GB) set-aside and I can use the space to record a couple of full-length movies or an entire sporting event instead.

Life is too short to watch things live.

Now we are not that much different I also like to bypass commercials with the live

buffers on the 625 or record up to 150 hours of MPEG2 SD programming.

I just believe it's nice to have the option to either live buffer the program or record it

makes Dish's 625's 2-120minute live buffers a DVR that has the total package.:)

Longer is better.:D

There is a risk to relying too much on the buffers and not using that litlle red rec. button. There could be a momentary loss of signal and you lose your buffered content. Even more likely is I occasionally push the wrong button on my remote!:)

On the topic, SD won't ever go away, but mpeg-2 will!

The SD channels will go away when all the equipment in the field is 8PSK MPEG4.

Its getting to the point right now where you can't buy a TV that is 4x3 anymore, and can't get anything with less than 720P resolution.

The TV's are not so much a factor, as getting an all MPEG 4 platform in customers homes. The problem with Dish is that this is a double edge knife....

One one hand they want everyone with an MPEG4 solution, yet we still have standard definition receivers out in the field, that are being sold because they are lease returns

Claude, do you really think the public access and religious channels plan to go through the expense of offering HD in the near future? Remember, it's not just cameras but other studio and transmission equipment that comes into play, as well.

I see MPEG2 going away but SD? I don't see SD channels disappearing for another 10 years. Of course, SD content will out live us all.

Longer is better.:D

There is a risk to relying too much on the buffers and not using that litlle red rec. button. There could be a momentary loss of signal and you lose your buffered content. Even more likely is I occasionally push the wrong button on my remote!:)

On the topic, SD won't ever go away, but mpeg-2 will!

If Dish decides to finish the Western Arc soon DirecTV should offer to buy out Dish's

MPEG2 DVR products(when I was with DirecTV it was estimated that D* would have MPEG

2 SD for 5 more years) because when you compare DirecTV's R15/R16 or even the R22

none can compare to Dish's 625.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)