When will the first major title be released on Blu-ray only?

When will a major title be released exclusively on Blu-ray?

Votes: 11 22.0%

Votes: 8 16.0%

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015 or later

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Never

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Blu-ray offers better PQ & AQ than DVD. And there are some improved features. The studios want to increase sales of higher-margin Blu-ray titles to maintain their income stream, as DVD returns dwindle.

One way they might do this is by eventually releasing some major title on Blu-ray only. Never mind the conditions that might allow/support this - let's talk which year.

2008? 9? 10? .... Never?

I mean not on standard DVD. And from a major studio.

I can easily seem them starting this year to release BD only then following with DVD later (like 3 months).

I guess we need another War Zone. The original one for HD DVD vs BluRay and now one for BD vs DVD.

Well, it's no contest between HD downloads and BD.

<insert stirring pot smilie>

Blu-ray offers better PQ & AQ than DVD. And there are some improved features. The studios want to increase sales of higher-margin Blu-ray titles to maintain their income stream, as DVD returns dwindle.

One way they might do this is by eventually releasing some major title on Blu-ray only. Never mind the conditions that might allow/support this - let's talk which year.

2008? 9? 10? .... Never?
You can't be serious?

I dont think you'll see something as BD only for at least 4 years.

An insider stated there were many "planned obscelence" schemes for DVD. One idea I like, they may start only relelasing multiple disc sets and special editions on BD only and leaving single disc releases to DVD.

Any guesses as to what kind of movie might be released on Blu-ray and not DVD?

They've got to encourage movement from DVDs to Blu-ray, to maintain their income stream. Too little profit left in standard DVDs.

I am guessing 2012 but I suspect that no studio has curent plans. but what do i know.

lol @ 8 people so far selecting 08 or 09.

I can see it now.... "Warner declines to sell 20 million copies of The Dark Knight on DVD, instead only releases on Blu-Ray, with pack in UMD and digital download versions!"

I'm skeptical that 2012 will be far enough out for it really but that's what I picked. The market has many more smaller segments compared to when DVD established it's foothold. BD will be lucky I think to be 25% of what DVD had in it's prime.

How about, "in the year 2525 if man is still alive".

Sorry could resist since I work for a Zager. No not the one that did the recording.

On a serious note I don't think it will happen until after 2011.

Of course we might see a studio like Disney decide to re releasea catalog item of some classic in BD only. That could happen in a year or two.

I don't think that would be an intentional move though, they make so much money on their DVD sales it's unreal. I understood the post to mean a new release, since catalog titles have been coming out for months without a new SD counterpart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts