WHERE do more upsets occurr...in the NCAA tournament or in Conference Championships?

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
After what happened in MSG to UCONN and PITT, in the Big12 to Oklahoma and Kansas and Clemson in the ACC....is ti me, or is there more concentration of upsets in the conference championship that the NCAAs?

I don't know if I can answer your question, but if the NCAA toruney is anything like the conference tourneys this year, its going to be a hell of a ride!

After what happened in MSG to UCONN and PITT, in the Big12 to Oklahoma and Kansas and Clemson in the ACC....is ti me, or is there more concentration of upsets in the conference championship that the NCAAs?

IMO in the conference championship, all the teams know each other, so it's more likely a lower seeded team will beat a higher seeded team.

I'd say in the conference tournaments for 2 reasons:

1) There tends to be more parity within conferences as opposed to the NCAA as a whole.

2) This is usually the 3rd meeting between the teams, so they know how each other play, thus giving more chances for the upset.

1) There tends to be more parity within conferences as opposed to the NCAA as a whole.

2) This is usually the 3rd meeting between the teams, so they know how each other play, thus giving more chances for the upset.
Exactly. And the environment for these conference tournaments is great. The NCAA Tournament is great to watch on TV, but the fans at the arenas don't care about watching a bunch of teams they've never heard of.

Yes. That that you can add that teams are playing three or even four days in a row, something not done in the regular season, or in the NCAA, where its two games in three days followed by four days off. And, for the "big" conferences, the conference tournaments really don't count. For example, in the afformentioned Pitt upset, after Pitt got down a little, they just quit, because they know that they will play again. Where in the NCAAs its one and done and Pitt would not have just started phoning it in as they did.

Yes. That that you can add that teams are playing three or even four days in a row, something not done in the regular season, or in the NCAA, where its two games in three days followed by four days off. And, for the "big" conferences, the conference tournaments really don't count. For example, in the afformentioned Pitt upset, after Pitt got down a little, they just quit, because they know that they will play again. Where in the NCAAs its one and done and Pitt would not have just started phoning it in as they did.
Not everyone quits. UConn certainly didn't quit. Neither did Oklahoma, Kansas or Carolina.

And, for the "big" conferences, the conference tournaments really don't count.
Not in the ACC. Winning the ACC Tournament has always been a thing of prestige. Teams don't quit there. It's just that there is so many good teams, that upsets are bound to happen.

Meet Our Sports Writers

Quite possibly, one of the greatest college basketball games of all time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)