Where do you think the next Winter Classic will be and who plays?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I know they've talked about it, but I personally don't think they can play a game in New York on January 1. The weather is too unpredictable.

There is certainly a chance for cold and snow, but last Sunday, December 28, it was 65 degrees here. I ran at the reservoir where I live, and there were guys running without shirts on. And they were hot. I was hot too, I had to make sure I properly hydrated.

I live very close to the ocean so it may not have been quite as warm in the city, but it was probably 60 degrees there. That would not be what the NHL is looking for.

Sandra

The weather is just as crazy here, so it shouldn't be a problem there. In NY/NJ you usually just get the same weather we have here in Chicago just two days later due to the prevailing westerlies.

In addition to the fact that football stadiums may be hard to come by if their home teams make the playoffs, theres also the issue of seat proximity to the field. Many of the modern day Baseball stadiums have great seating in comparison to football stadiums. In fact their seating in relation to the field is great and makes it hard to find a "bad" spot in the house. Of course I'm excluding the generic bowl style stadiums (like the Astrodome) that sprung up all through the 1980's.

I would love to see the next Winter Classic at Fenway, doesn't really matter against who. Bruins and the Habs would make for a really great game though. However Fenway (like Wrigley) has lots of seats that come with an obstructed view due to the upper deck supports.

Another option would be Colorado vs Anyone at Coors Field.

(1st post BTW, long time lurker though)

In addition to the fact that football stadiums may be hard to come by if their home teams make the playoffs, theres also the issue of seat proximity to the field. Many of the modern day Baseball stadiums have great seating in comparison to football stadiums. In fact their seating in relation to the field is great and makes it hard to find a "bad" spot in the house. Of course I'm excluding the generic bowl style stadiums (like the Astrodome) that sprung up all through the 1980's.

I would love to see the next Winter Classic at Fenway, doesn't really matter against who. Bruins and the Habs would make for a really great game though. However Fenway (like Wrigley) has lots of seats that come with an obstructed view due to the upper deck supports.

Another option would be Colorado vs Anyone at Coors Field.

(1st post BTW, long time lurker though)

Welcome to the site ! (long time lurker :D)

If it's going to be in Colorado, it would have to be against the Wings, tradition/rivalry, or against Quebec, but then they would have to get a team again before that would happen.

I think the NHL should move franchises back to Canada, Qubec and Winnipeg is where I would suggest ...

ps, how is it in Texas today ?
I will be down in Brownsville next month ...

Jimbo

Make one in Tampa or Miami, and let the Florida teams play.

Not the same atmosphere, but why should the cold cities get all the exposure.

The weather is just as crazy here, so it shouldn't be a problem there. In NY/NJ you usually just get the same weather we have here in Chicago just two days later due to the prevailing westerlies.

I didn't realize it could get into the 50's and 60's in January in Chicago. I thought that happened once a millenium or so...

Sandra

They did mention it was the third outdoor game. They mentioned the game in Edmonton, properly called it the Heritage Classic, and also mentioned that Ty Conklin played in all three.

Sandra

At the beginning of the telecast they said the 2nd outdoor game...now if they said it later I cant comment as I flipped over to the CBC broadcast :)

IMHO:

The NHL does not want to do Canada. Canadian sites will not garner the casual media attention that a US baseball or football venue will. And, since Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver's largest stadiums are domes anyway, its almost a moot point. Most of the CFL stadiums other than Commonwealth (already been there) are not really that big.

Chicago is a little too far south. As others have posted, it could have gone poorly if the weather had been just a little above normal.

Detroit would be great, which would mean the baseball park since the football field is a dome, but playing at the "Big House" would be an even better deal.

Pittsburgh is likewise too far south, and the NFL stadium has an awful grass field and the Steelers are likely to make the playoffs. But a Pens-Flyers game at State College is interesting. The only issue that is that State College is, as Beano Cook once said, tied with Pullman, Washington as the hardest place to get to that you actually would want to go to. Here the issue is bad weather, because the place is not tied to the interstate highway system and is up in the mountains.

Denver seems to make sense.

Minneapolis, when the university opens its new outdoor football stadium (the baseball park is also an outdoor, but why bother) , would be extremely logical. Its probably the most natural hockey market in the US in terms of youth participants and thus knowledgable fans.

Columbus, at OSU, is as interesting as Detroit at UM, but too far south to be safe.

If they are trying to draw attention, Chicago and Detoit could meet again in a few years, at Notre Dame.

New York City just runs too much risk of mediocre weather, although the two new baseball stadiums would be interesting, as would the new Meadowlands stadium, but with two teams sharing it, it would be hard to find time to set up. Rutgers and UConn both have 40K all chair back stadiums, and there is the Yale Bowl as well.

Boston would have to Fenway, because of the Patriots, but Harvard, BC and most of the other too many colleges where too little thinking goes on in that town have stadiums as well.

I know they've talked about it, but I personally don't think they can play a game in New York on January 1. The weather is too unpredictable.

There is certainly a chance for cold and snow, but last Sunday, December 28, it was 65 degrees here. I ran at the reservoir where I live, and there were guys running without shirts on. And they were hot. I was hot too, I had to make sure I properly hydrated.

I live very close to the ocean so it may not have been quite as warm in the city, but it was probably 60 degrees there. That would not be what the NHL is looking for.

Sandra
That shouldn't be a problem, what's the temperature in an indoor arena?? This year's game was originally supposed to be held at the old Yankee Stadium but there was an uproar over the last event there to be a hockey game.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3286014"]Rangers reportedly eyed for Yankee Stadium game - NHL - ESPN[/ame]

At the beginning of the telecast they said the 2nd outdoor game...now if they said it later I cant comment as I flipped over to the CBC broadcast :)

I wasn't listening, so I don't know for sure what they said, but Thursday's game was the 2nd "Winter Classic," just not the second outdoor NHL game in the modern era.

I didn't realize it could get into the 50's and 60's in January in Chicago. I thought that happened once a millenium or so...

Sandra

ITs been known to happen from time to time, and it certainly happened last week here just as you had described it. I remember someone telling me that NY gets Chicago weather two days later, and thought it was silly. Buy sure enough, when I was commuting between Chicago and NY for about six monthes, that usually held true more often than not...

But anyway, I digress. There is no question that NY deserves to be the site of a Winter Classic, no question. I just didn't think one should rule out any hope on the basis of weather, because here in Chicago (especially at Wrigley field, which is in close proximity to Lake Michigan) it can be just as dicey here as anywhere. If it can be held successfully there, than anything is possible... ;)

Minneapolis, when the university opens its new outdoor football stadium (the baseball park is also an outdoor, but why bother) , would be extremely logical. Its probably the most natural hockey market in the US in terms of youth participants and thus knowledgable fans.

why not do it in the Twins new stadium? That would work pretty sweet..

The Twins field would be fine, but hockey rinks and football fields are the same shape (rectangular) so why not use one if its available? TCF Bank Stadium will hold over 50K with the seats in a "horseshoe" configuration, meaning almost every seat would be a legitimate view. Target field holds only 40K, whith 36K of those between the foul lines, meaning one side or another would be at a severe cross angle to the rink. Wrigley or Fenway make sense because of the history, but Target Field is brand new.

My First Choice would be the Habs vs Bruins at Fenway.

Second choice would be Flyers vs Pens in Happy Valley.

No reason to go past either of those two because the NHL won't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)