Where do you think the next Winter Classic will be and who plays?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Since the Winter Classic is proving to be such a great idea, I was wondering:

if there is another one next season, where do you think it could be and who would play?

I have a possible idea: New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers in the 100,000+ Beaver Stadium at Penn State.

Feel free to contribute your possibile ideas.

One of three places.

1) Giants stadium...Rangers Vs. Devils or Islanders.

2)Beaver Stadium...Pens Vs. Flyers.

3)Any outdoor CFL stadium...Any Canadian team Vs. any other Canadian team.

3)Any outdoor CFL stadium...Any Canadian team Vs. any other Canadian team.

already done....contrary to what NBC said, yesterday was not the "2nd outdoor NHL game"...

the original one....Montreal vs Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton

I hate to say it, but the best interest of the game will be the big markets in the US. I think they need the two new york teams in the new yankee stadium - if the can get the yankees on board.

After how well the Cubs portion worked, I think they can get that buy-in now.

already done....contrary to what NBC said, yesterday was not the "2nd outdoor NHL game"...

Yeah I know, Ty Conklin was a goalie in all three. I was thinking in Montreal or Ottawa.

I hate to say it, but the best interest of the game will be the big markets in the US. I think they need the two new york teams in the new yankee stadium - if the can get the yankees on board.

After how well the Cubs portion worked, I think they can get that buy-in now.

Giants stadium would probably do it before the Yankees. Maybe the new Mets stadium.

Maybe Boston VS Rangers...Fenway Park

Year After....Wings/Toronto in Ann Arbor at the Big House?

1) Rangers v Islanders @ The NEW Yankee Stadium
2) Devils v Flyers @ Giants Stadium
3) Bruins v Canadiens @ Fenway Park
4) Canadiens v Maple Leafs @ Olympic Stad (if they get the roof fixed)

The more I look at my predictions,I'm leaning towards choice # 3.I think that would generate the most interest from their fierce rivalry.Two more teams from the "original 6" playing.

It won't be Detroit again, the league will spread the joy. I doubt it will be any of the teams that already have been in one.

A thought on football stadiums. It can't happen if a team is heading into the playoffs. Look at the Buffalo game, they had 9 days to prepare the rink and everything. Had the bills made the playoffs, they would have had to tear it all down quickly as well.

With a baseball stadium, all of that pressure is gone. I think they will highly favor baseball stadiums to football due to that. The ice conditions in Chicago were a ton better than Buffalo, and it wasn't all due to weather, it was preperation.

College football stadiums would be easier, as their seasons end around Thanksgiving.

I think some of the problems in Buffalo could have been avoided with more time. For crying aloud - they did an outdoor rink in Las Vegas in 1993, with 85 degree weather, and the ice was okay.

Another thought, I don't think they'll do Canada again soon. The league is very focussed on growing the game in the US. In Canada the game is already huge.

This event is the leagues best way to draw new fans - they want big markets involved or big names involved (Pitts & Buffalo aren't really big markets).

I think they needs to look at teams like these: NY, LA, Boston, Dallas (games is growing fast in Texas), and if they do Canadian, Toronto - as a road team.

1) Rangers v Islanders @ The NEW Yankee Stadium
2) Devils v Flyers @ Giants Stadium
3) Bruins v Canadiens @ Fenway Park
4) Canadiens v Maple Leafs @ Olympic Stad (if they get the roof fixed)

The more I look at my predictions,I'm leaning towards choice # 3.I think that would generate the most interest from their fierce rivalry.Two more teams from the "original 6" playing.

I think # 3 would also be the most intriging.

Jimbo

They did mention it was the third outdoor game. They mentioned the game in Edmonton, properly called it the Heritage Classic, and also mentioned that Ty Conklin played in all three.

Sandra

Last edited:
I know they've talked about it, but I personally don't think they can play a game in New York on January 1. The weather is too unpredictable.

There is certainly a chance for cold and snow, but last Sunday, December 28, it was 65 degrees here. I ran at the reservoir where I live, and there were guys running without shirts on. And they were hot. I was hot too, I had to make sure I properly hydrated.

I live very close to the ocean so it may not have been quite as warm in the city, but it was probably 60 degrees there. That would not be what the NHL is looking for.

Sandra

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)