Where do you think the next Winter Classic will be and who plays?

I was just thinking...obviously, the Winter Classic needs to be held in an area well north of the Mason-Dixon line. However, I also feel the defending Stanley Cup winner should automatically be onc of the teams involved. Moreover, the Cup should be proudly displayed for all to see at mid-field. Heck, make it even more special and allow all ticket purchasers the opportunity to stop by and touch it.

Just a thought...

they need to have the nesxt winter classic at Comiskey Park (aka US Cellular Field in Chicago) Wrigley is such a dump. IT would be cool to see it at Lambeau Field as that is such a nice stadium and small too boot.

Not to get off the subject too long, but I have often wondered there isn't an NHL franchise in Wisconsin?

The past management of the NHL really had no vision. Obviously, there are cities that can support one, but not both, arena sports. And several that are more obviously hockey territory than basketball. Not only Milwaukee, but Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Portland. And it was in the 90s before the NHL return to Denver and it even abandoned the Twin Cites, the best hockey market in the country, for six years.

Today, you have a great brand new arena sitting in Kansas City, and you have Seattle sitting there unloved. Get teams in there ASAP.

Since the Winter Classic is proving to be such a great idea, I was wondering:

if there is another one next season, where do you think it could be and who would play?

I have a possible idea: New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers in the 100,000+ Beaver Stadium at Penn State.

Feel free to contribute your possibile ideas.
Not abad idea. But given the weather and high probability of snow fall plus it's a small town,I'd have to say no...
Next winter classic will be in either The New Yankee Stadium or Citi Field. The matchup should be NY Rangers vs NJ Devils.
Following that. The next one should be in Philadelphia. The matchup is painfully obvious on that one. Penguins/ Flyers.
Here's a novel idea.
Now stay with me here. Nashville vs Atlanta at Bristol Motor Speedway. Think about it. Small infield(seats up close the rink) and huge seating capacity. It's in the Blue Ridge mts so the weather will be cold. The teams are closest in geographical location. Yes they both stink right now. But if these teams improve, this could work. Like I said. It's a novel idea.
Another potential matchup. Chicago vs Columbus at Ohio Stadium.

Not to get off the subject too long, but I have often wondered there isn't an NHL franchise in Wisconsin?
Good question. Is Milwaukee a viable hockey market? or is that area so entrneched in college hockey noboday cares about the NHL?
I think in the not to distant future we'll see teams migrating back north. I think the "grand southern experiment" is over. Florida, Nashville and Atlanta are struggling to fill seats and their teams show no signs of improvement. Tampa Bay is struggling as well. But that franshise has a big loyal fan base. They're not going anywhere.
It's time to speculate which ciites are eligible to take these franchises and embrace them.
Seattle? Milwaukee? Kansas City?How about Cleveland? Yes they had a team once. But the on-ice product was garbage and the ownership junk. The Cleveland area has been on the rebound for years now. Indianapolis?.Anyway, these ideas are going to have be addressed by the NHL. Otherwise the league may end up contracting.
Input please..

1) Rangers v Islanders @ The NEW Yankee Stadium
2) Devils v Flyers @ Giants Stadium
3) Bruins v Canadiens @ Fenway Park
4) Canadiens v Maple Leafs @ Olympic Stad (if they get the roof fixed)

The more I look at my predictions,I'm leaning towards choice # 3.I think that would generate the most interest from their fierce rivalry.Two more teams from the "original 6" playing.
Roof fixed? Naaah. The game needs to be in an open air facility.

Welcome to the site ! (long time lurker :D)

If it's going to be in Colorado, it would have to be against the Wings, tradition/rivalry, or against Quebec, but then they would have to get a team again before that would happen.

I think the NHL should move franchises back to Canada, Qubec and Winnipeg is where I would suggest ...

ps, how is it in Texas today ?
I will be down in Brownsville next month ...

Jimbo
The NHL has mandated arena sizes and facilities for cities to be eligible for a franchise. Both Quebec(Le Colisee) and Winnipeg have arenas that are too small. Plus Quebec has lost not only an NHL team but lost their AHL franchise as well when the Canadiens moved the team to Hamilton ,ON. If any Canadian city gets a team it'll be Hamiton or London. But territorial infringement fights ususally prevent this.
I'd would like to see more Canadian cities become homes of NHL teams. But the logitics and practicalities make it a long shot. Sucks.

Make one in Tampa or Miami, and let the Florida teams play.

Not the same atmosphere, but why should the cold cities get all the exposure.
The event is "The Winter Classic". Imagine the atmospehere of this event in 80 degree weather at Doplhins stadium and the potted palms in the background. Blecch!

The event is "The Winter Classic". Imagine the atmospehere of this event in 80 degree weather at Doplhins stadium and the potted palms in the background. Blecch!

Just because it's 80 degrees, doesn't mean it's not winter.

I'm all for a Pens Vs. Flyers game at Penn State, but I also think teams shouldn't be left out because of were they are at. If that is the case, then might as well pack up every team south of the Mason Dixon and move them all north.

IMHO:

The NHL does not want to do Canada. Canadian sites will not garner the casual media attention that a US baseball or football venue will. And, since Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver's largest stadiums are domes anyway, its almost a moot point. Most of the CFL stadiums other than Commonwealth (already been there) are not really that big.

Chicago is a little too far south. As others have posted, it could have gone poorly if the weather had been just a little above normal.

Detroit would be great, which would mean the baseball park since the football field is a dome, but playing at the "Big House" would be an even better deal.

Pittsburgh is likewise too far south, and the NFL stadium has an awful grass field and the Steelers are likely to make the playoffs. But a Pens-Flyers game at State College is interesting. The only issue that is that State College is, as Beano Cook once said, tied with Pullman, Washington as the hardest place to get to that you actually would want to go to. Here the issue is bad weather, because the place is not tied to the interstate highway system and is up in the mountains.

Denver seems to make sense.

Minneapolis, when the university opens its new outdoor football stadium (the baseball park is also an outdoor, but why bother) , would be extremely logical. Its probably the most natural hockey market in the US in terms of youth participants and thus knowledgable fans.

Columbus, at OSU, is as interesting as Detroit at UM, but too far south to be safe.

If they are trying to draw attention, Chicago and Detoit could meet again in a few years, at Notre Dame.

New York City just runs too much risk of mediocre weather, although the two new baseball stadiums would be interesting, as would the new Meadowlands stadium, but with two teams sharing it, it would be hard to find time to set up. Rutgers and UConn both have 40K all chair back stadiums, and there is the Yale Bowl as well.

Boston would have to Fenway, because of the Patriots, but Harvard, BC and most of the other too many colleges where too little thinking goes on in that town have stadiums as well.

The turf at Heinz Field has been reworked and is no longer an issue. Besides, the turf conditions have zero to do with the playing of a hockey game.
Chicago is about the same latitude as Detroit. So how could Chicago be "too far south"?
On weather....The game was played in Buffalo. Actually Orchard Park. Now you say NYC has unpredictable weather. What could be more unpredictable than lake effect snow that can dump 4 feet of the white stuff in a matter of 8-10 hrs?
What I am seeing ,no offense, is a pro Detriot bias on your part. That's fine. The game should be played somewhere in Michigan. But don't cut down on other places to make your case. Do this: Accentuate the positives about your desired place and leave it at that

Cleveland Browns Stadium....

Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Detroit Red Wings.

Probably never happen, but it's worth mentioning with the interstate rivalry and all. Plus, Cleveland would love the opportunity to see NHL hockey in such an atmosphere. :)

Just because it's 80 degrees, doesn't mean it's not winter.

I'm all for a Pens Vs. Flyers game at Penn State, but I also think teams shouldn't be left out because of were they are at. If that is the case, then might as well pack up every team south of the Mason Dixon and move them all north.

You're right. It is winter. But it is the atmosphere that matters. When we think of winter , we envison cold temps, snow on the ground, hot chocolate. The images of Pina Colladas , sandals and tank tops hardly gets there.
The NHL is going to involve as many of the Original 6 as possible. Then their biggest rivals. And the games will be played in the largest tv markets.
And as far as packing up southern teams, you may very well see that. Check attendance figs in Atlanta, Nashville and Miami. Not to impressive.

You're right. It is winter. But it is the atmosphere that matters. When we think of winter , we envison cold temps, snow on the ground, hot chocolate. The images of Pina Colladas , sandals and tank tops hardly gets there.
The NHL is going to involve as many of the Original 6 as possible. Then their biggest rivals. And the games will be played in the largest tv markets.
And as far as packing up southern teams, you may very well see that. Check attendance figs in Atlanta, Nashville and Miami. Not to impressive.

But living in western PA, I have images of Pina Coladas , sandals and tank tops every time it gets cold.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)