Where is all the OTA antenna pics...?

interesting. When I tried to do that (combine 2 antennas) I had some signal issues. I ended up using a separate VHF/UHF combiner to combine the antennas I have in post 5

Using an ordinary splitter in reverse will cause a 3.5db loss to each antenna unless both antennas are identical, properly phased and pointing in the same direction then a 3.5db gain will be realised.

My recently re-mounted OTA rig. It's an original-style DB4 and a Winegard HD6010. I'm 30+ miles from the main towers in San Francisco to the NW (313 and 317deg), and only 11 miles from the "San Jose" tower in Milpitas, but 90deg to the NE.

It's on a 10-foot mast, mounted 10 feet off the ground. After tweaking the rotation a bit, I'm getting all area stations with great signals to the one TV to which it is connected.

I used to have only the DB4 on a 40" J-mount, mounted a couple of planks closer to the sat dish. But, by moving it West a bit, I'm able to better avoid the tree at the front of the house. The new mast also raises it up about 5 feet higher than before.

My next step is to rewire the coax in the house. I used to diplex the OTA and Sat signals together. But, had to remove that over two years ago, when I switched to the Hopper. (I had a temp cable running along the baseboard from guestroom to LR for OTA the Hopper, but it was ugly, so I removed it.) I will re-route the coax in the attic, and fish down the wall. This will allow me to also shorten the sat run, and add cat5e.

Anyway, here's a pic of phase one, the antennas.
IMG_0440.JPG

Hi Gary...

Do you receive 7 and 11 on VHF okay with that set up? The DB4 is supposedly just a UHF antenna.

Also, can you receive any of the Marin and Sonoma stations: 3, 22, 50 and 68?

Larry
SF

Hi Gary...

Do you receive 7 and 11 on VHF okay with that set up? The DB4 is supposedly just a UHF antenna.

Also, can you receive any of the Marin and Sonoma stations: 3, 22, 50 and 68?

Larry
SF
7 and 11 are strong and solid. (I get both broadcasts of KGO7 on rf7 and rf 35) None of the North Bay stations, though. I got a couple intermittently. So, I expect if I upgrade to an 8-bay, I'd receive those as well. (IIRC, I received them when I was using a preamp. But, it was adversely affecting the closer channels.)

Reread Gary's post he also has a Winegard with the DB4
Actually, I received 7 and 11 (especially 11) OK before the recent changes. I added the HD6010 for FM reception. Any additional VHF reception is a bonus.

Here is my OTA antenna, it's the RCA ANT751 model. It is pointed towards greenbay. I get almost all of them, except I don't get WB channel. I plan on getting a UHF only antenna, and preamp from solid signal to put at the other end of the attic to get milwaukee stations, hopefully later this year.

DSC01868.JPG[h=1][/h]

Here is what I use at home, it’s a Funke PSP 1922 with an Antennas Direct 91XG. I can get all of the Harrisburg and Baltimore channels and about half of the Washington DC channels with it.

Attachments

• HPIM0683.JPG
    HPIM0683.JPG
    696.1 KB · Views: 485
Are the antennas coupled together and how or is it 2 separate feeds?

Joined using the original Channel Master 7777 dual input pre-amp, no longer manufactured. Currently available dual input pre-amps are the RCA TVPRAMP1R or the AntennaCraft 10G222. You can also use a UVSJ combiner with or without an amp.

My Channelmaster 4228 and the idiot that installed it (me).

The tv antenna on top is not in use, ice storm got the best of it.

About 45 miles from the towers in very hilly terrain, works great w/CM777 feeding 4 tvs.

Tower Climb to Adjust Antenna 04-16-2012b.jpg

DIY 4 bay getting 2 stations at 66 miles. PBS at ~ 45 degrees off axis and 40 miles + one LP PBS translator at 27 miles (on axis) VHF hi channels is 'hit and miss' one is off axis 90 degrees and the other ~ 45 degrees off axis.
DCP_4129.JPG DCP_4130.JPG

DIY 4 bay getting 2 stations at 66 miles. PBS at ~ 45 degrees off axis and 40 miles + one LP PBS translator at 27 miles (on axis) VHF hi channels is 'hit and miss' one is off axis 90 degrees and the other ~ 45 degrees off axis.
View attachment 98116 View attachment 98117
Maybe it would work better if you straightened out all of the elements, and unified the angles. Also, some kind of reflector behind would probably help, as well.
You could also buy a good 4 bay for around $40, as well.

Fat Air,
Are you sure about adding a preamp. My understanding is if there is no signal at the antennna, then adding a preamp isn't going to magically find one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)