Where is the new DIRECTIVO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The new DirecTiVO is a joke, features-wise, but there are customers who want it. I'm a TEC CSR, and you have no idea how many customers I deal with who have R10s that are on their last legs and won't let go of them, despite being eligible for a free upgrade to an HDDVR, or at the very least a legacy swap into an R16, just because they love TiVO and are afraid of learning a new system. People will buy them, despite the lack of functionality.

The new DirecTiVO is a joke, features-wise, but there are customers who want it. I'm a TEC CSR, and you have no idea how many customers I deal with who have R10s that are on their last legs and won't let go of them, despite being eligible for a free upgrade to an HDDVR, or at the very least a legacy swap into an R16, just because they love TiVO and are afraid of learning a new system. People will buy them, despite the lack of functionality.

How do we KNOW what features a NEW Tebow would have, I don't think anyone has had any official info, seeing it seems to be a never happening product at this point.

My lack of satellite connectivity did play into my decision--but I had a choice of 2 apartments--a small 1 bedroom that was downstairs (and had LOS off the back step), or a really cool big loft in the trees (which I went with).
I'd be looking to put a reservation on a unit to your liking that does have LOS.

Well for me to even consider paying a price premium for the Tivo name, it would have to...
1. Have a FINISHED HD-UI (like the Virgin Media Tivo UK) UK Virgin Media TiVo - YouTube
2. Be compatible with MRV (Tivo calls it MRS - Multi-Room Streaming)
3. Be built upon the HR34 platform with 5 tuners.
4. Tivo Q like boxes on RCN would be integrated in RVU compatible C30 set tops. Hence MRS(MRV in our terms) and the HDUI in multiple rooms.

None of that fits DirecTV's product pushing road-maps.
MRV, HDUI, RVU, More Tuners, etc...

Looks like it'll start to roll out in December

At least that's what Tivo's CEO is saying in yesterday's earnings call:

Well, in terms of how we will be positioned, just to be clear at the outset, they will be initiating their launch in a number of major select markets in December and then early next year, roll out the product nationally. DIRECTV has obligations to nationally market us, and those obligations are substantial. So it is something that will be marketed in addition to their homegrown platform.

We don't bear those marketing costs. They obviously know who the DIRECTV TiVo current customers are, and they know people who have previously had TiVo and have the product for a long time and presumably were satisfied customers. So they know both of those bases to direct their marketing to. I would expect some of their initial marketing will be focused on those very groups as it then rolls out more broadly to all DIRECTV customers.
All of the marketing and other associated costs with the service are borne by DIRECTV. We are paid a very substantial additional sub fee -- substantial additional sub fee beyond the original DIRECTV sub fee and the original DIRECTV-TiVo deal for incremental subs who buy the new platform. But all costs associated with the marketing, et cetera, the service are borne by DIRECTV.

TiVo's CEO Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

I'm sure once it hits the streets, TIVO will spring a few bucks for some advertising.

Wow no wonder DirecTV is dragging their feet. They have to heavily market it, bear all of those costs, pay a SUBSTANTIAL subscriber fee to TiVo, all while sinking time and money in their own (and better) HD-GUI ongoing development and support.

Sounds like TiVo is getting everything they want... AND TiVo didn't even spend any efforts into modernizing the TiVo experience (ala Virgin Media full HD-UI TiVo). DirecTV got the ass end of the deal here!

Wow no wonder DirecTV is dragging their feet. They have to heavily market it, bear all of those costs, pay a SUBSTANTIAL subscriber fee to TiVo, all while sinking time and money in their own (and better) HD-GUI ongoing development and support.

Sounds like TiVo is getting everything they want... AND TiVo didn't even spend any efforts into modernizing the TiVo experience (ala Virgin Media full HD-UI TiVo). DirecTV got the ass end of the deal here!

I don't see there being any chance in hell of Directv not charging an additional fee for any Tivo's added.

TiVo isn't sufficiently pushing their SA models so I'm betting they'll let DIRECTV live up to their end of the bargain.

Looks like Tivo would rather supply cablecos and satellite vendors than sell direct to users. Probably a better business model in reality. FWIW, I tried the Premier on TWC last year. The Tivo was great, although some menus were still SD. TWC SDV on the other had sucked eggs. I ended up getting D* instead. The HR24s I have are OK, but they are not always snappy. I am hoping the new interface fixes the occasional lag. MRV is great!

Given what I am paying, I am not sure I am getting my money's worth. Maybe if I had more time or desire to watch more TV. I am seriously considering picking up a couple of SA Tivos and just doing OTA. I can get just about everything else I want off of Amazon or iTunes or just get the DVDs. By my calculations, that will save me about $500/year which goes a long way towards a Tivo with lifetime.

That said, I cannot see Tivo on DrirecTV being worth any additional cost, even though my favorite DVR ever is still my SD DirecTivo from back in 2004.

-Ted

Last edited:
I am not a fan of TIVO, but do wonder if, when they roll out the Tivo equipped receivers, are they going to become a part of the maintenance stream? I would not be pleased if I had to return a defective hr21-700 and received a tivo equipped receiver as a replacement.

Word on the street is that the new HD DirecTV Tivo units will be available December 8th.

There here

Attachments

• image-3881701031.png
    image-3881701031.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image-3900889266.png
    image-3900889266.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 193
So D* is gonna release the new Directivo and the hr34 on same day (Dec 8th if rumors are true) Hmmm.... I wonder which one D* will advertise more? It'll be an interesting situation for them.

HR34 is so much better with 5 tuners. Even though it most likely costs more up front, I would still prefer it for all those tuners.

When the HD-UI rolls out to the HR34, then not only hardware wise but now software wise it will be much better than that old SD ported interface.

I think DirecTV's new HDUI looks visually pleasing while doing everything I really need it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts