Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got to admit I haven't thought about it in awhile, but just a few moments ago National Syndicate Radio Show host Todd Schnitt posted the following tweet that has me wondering as well.

Todd Schnitt

Took about two years to build the Empire State Building. It's been three years since @DirecTV announced the new @Tivo unit. Still waiting.

Hes got a good point, whats taking so long?

Maybe they realized it can't compete with D* offerings in the pipeline.

It's simple Scott directv delayed the tivo unit,put it on a old slow box,and withheld the newest tech. Because they knew if tivo had released a very modern and fast unit their in house dvr would have had serious competition. Why tivo ever agreed to this who knows,but it was a very stupid move.

Maybe they realized there is no point in bringing back the IBM 5100 when you have ASUS, Alienware, MAC, Sony, and Toshiba

It's simple Scott directv delayed the tivo unit,put it on a old slow box,and withheld the newest tech. Because they knew if tivo had released a very modern and fast unit their in house dvr would have had serious competition. Why tivo ever agreed to this who knows,but it was a very stupid move.

I kinda think this may have been what happened, except they figured if they got thier stuff out and established FIRST, the TIVO would be a Non issue .... which is what we have at this point of the process.

With D*'s HR units working well, they have little to worry about if they ever do release the new TIVO unit.

What's the point if its not going to be MRV compatible?

That is THE drawback of it for me.
It may be very slick, who knows, nobody has actually seen it, but if it wont do MRV, I wont even consider it (and would have otherwise).

Bingo, If I were to get a new HD DVR from DirecTV I would get the HR34 in a heartbeat. Five Tuners, RVU client, MRV, support for multiple RVU streams, and PIP. We have a winner. The only compliant about the HR34 is that is not available to current DirecTV subs at the moment.

I'd love to get a HR34 to replace my HR24. The DirecTIVO using a platform based on a 2 year old chipset is a total joke.

Iceberg said:
who cares

I must say I'm very happy with the HR24.
It's the first Direc receiver that moves with
Speed. It also has some great features.

Not too interested in the TiVo unit. Especially if it has no MVR. My favorite feature!

I'd be interested in an HR25.
Smaller possibly faster with the new HD guide.

I think they want to wait for their HD-GUI to fully roll out.

This way people can see how much better DirecTV's new HD-GUI is compared to the old Tivo interface from 5 years ago (or whatever it was).

Seriously, I look and use the new HD-GUI and think... why would I need a Tivo? This does everything I need, I find what I want, I record what I want and watch what I want. I don't have any issues with it. AND it looks nice with crisp easy to read fonts in an HD resolution. What more could I want?

I have an HR24 which is NEWER than the HR22 that DirecTV is going to shoehorn Tivo software on... Plus the 5 tuner HR34 on it's way out with it's PIP feature... really?

DirecTivo HD would of been relevant a few years ago, but today? Not so much. It possibly could of had a chance if it was a finished full HD-UI like the Tivo Virgin Media uses. Heck, the Virgin Media Tivo in the UK has 3 tuners and it's built on new hardware. That's what it would of took to have a chance... a NEW product... not an old product wedged into old hardware.

JohnL said:
Bingo, If I were to get a new HD DVR from DirecTV I would get the HR34 in a heartbeat. Five Tuners, RVU client, MRV, support for multiple RVU streams, and PIP. We have a winner. The only compliant about the HR34 is that is not available to current DirecTV subs at the moment.

I'd love to get a HR34 to replace my HR24. The DirecTIVO using a platform based on a 2 year old chipset is a total joke.

The HR24's are not using the HR20's chipset. Brand new from what I've heard.
Also, HR34, not sure I would be interested, has anyone heard how big of a HD it has, I currently have a 1.5TB on the main Hr24 and 500 gb's on each other 24.... unless they re putting very large HD in th 34, I'm not intersted.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

The THR22 is hiding out in the shadows with RVU and other DIRECTV technology platforms that take years longer than projected to make it to the marketplace. The HR34 is just now peeking its head out of the tent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)