Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Ok let me try anwering Jims questions as best I can from my memory. Some of the information could be wrong or changed since the last time I used it or seen demoed. But I am going to do my best to answer the ones I think I know the answer to. :)

[*]Seamlessly means there will be no "archiving" nonsense, right?

Depends on how you set it up. :) You can have it record to your DVR's internal hardrive then archive video later to the external hard drive.

Or you can set it to record directly to the external hard drive

[*]Charlie mentioned plugging the USB drive into the front of the 622, but the rear port should be enabled, correct?

Yes both will be enabled.

2. Attaching an external drive to a 211/222 basically means:
  • Calling Dish Network and having them activate this feature (involves paying a small USB Activation fee)?

For the non DVR units, folks will need to pay a monthly DVR free plus pay a one time enabling fee. This fee was rumored to be somewhere around $19.99 to $29.99.
  • Any scuttlebutt as to how much this small fee will be?

See above
  • Is this a one-time fee or will it have to be paid for each storage device added to the matrix?

It will have a monthly fee since it is now a DVR and it should be the monthly DVR fee.
  • Is the storage device connected to only one device or can they be moved to other devices on the account?

Yes, but not at release. There will be a house key assigned to all hard drive that will permit folks to move hard drive between receivers (such as the 622, 722 etc)
  • If the device can be moved, will the recording still be viewable from another receiver?

See above
  • How will the DVR software control what is being recorded to internal/external storage?

Same as if it were an internal hard drive. I have played with it and full trick play works on the external devices.
  • Will there be a software option to move recordings between internal/external storage?

Yes

3. I know it has been mentioned (can't find the post), but will a 211/222 functional identically to a 622 (9-day guide, name based recording, etc.) or will there be annoying software limitations? If so, will these limitations eventually be updated to where these are no discernable differences in functionallity between 612/221 and 222/622

Yes when you add an external drive to a non DVR and call up and subscribe to DVR service on that recevier you will get the 9 day guide. And the recording software would look to be the same as the 622 since that is the code they are basing everything off of. :)

4. Adding a USB external storage device to a 211/222 will require the individual to pay a monthly DVR fee...correct?

Yes, it would have a monthly DVR fee since the receiver is now a DVR.

5. Ok, say someone has four 211 receivers (basic receiver in the future) and decides to get a single 1 TB USB storage drive. Are they now required to pay DVR fees on all four receivers in order to move the storage device from room-to-room? Does anyone agree that this business model will need to change?

Yes they will need DVR service on all the receivers they want to hook the drive to. If you dont want to pay for DVR services then subscribe to the everything pack.

• The 622 HD DVR will go the way of the Pterodactyl or users will pay an upgrade premium

Nope the 622 will live on. The ONLY difference between the 622 and 722 is the hard drive size. The 622 has VC-1 built in just like the 722. Dish was just using VC-1 as a marketing gimmick for CES. (i.e. they were trying to sound high tech and cool)
  • Dish Network will have to implement a single account DVR Fee just like DirecTV and Cable ($9.98?)

I dont see that happening (although I would love to see it happen!) the reason why I dont see it happening is because so many people have the everything pack JUST to avoid the DVR fees. I know I personally would get rid of all the movie channels as I never watch them, but have the everything pack as I have 5 DVR's. (So its cheaper for me to have everything)

6. Should I purchase a 211 or 222 as an additional receiver? It's only a bedroom receiver, but can this "DVR feature" use both satellite tuners?

A 211 only has 1 tuner, however the 222 has two tuners and will be able to use both tuners like a 622, including full DVR features. It should be noted however that the 222 DVR upgrade will not be available until next year. First thing they will release is external support for the 622. Later this year they will add DVR availbilities to the 211.

Lastly, this thing has been in "beta" for many, many months. With the pending August release date, I don't see any harm in asking Dish Network to release beta testers from their NDA as well as answering fee and policy information.

Beta testers know nothing of the fee or policy information. And to be honest they probably still are working out the final details, it is after all Dish Network. :)

I have no idea what youre trying to get at.

Late summer/fall
One Time Fee
Plug and Play with virtually any HDD

Where is the msinformed speculation. After reading those three, theres not much more to speculate, pretty simple just like my Comcast box was(minus the fee).

Not if you watched last night.

Two things came out of it, its coming late summer(maybe) and will require a ONE TIME fee.

I took it as one time fee for everyone. Scott might can clear this up.
Yes the RUMOR going around was there is going to be a one time "External Storage Enabling Fee" which has been rumored to be anywhere from $19.99 to $29.99.

It would be a one time charge per account. Now notes this charge may be different then a DVR enabling fee for the non DVR units such as the 211, although the charges could be the same price.

???
I watched the chat last night. If you heard a bunch of deats that I didn't, please share.
I heard august, one time fee, and any hard drive.
What more is there to talk about?
The only thing to come now is UNINFORMED speculation about details we don't have. Someone can post on old information about details that were planned but could have changed by now.
Let the uninformed speculation begin (I mean continue).
Sounds like you have been visiting DBSTalk where they provide almost no breaking news and information about the satellite industry, and regularly delete threads and posts by anyone who cannot cite a user guide or press release. People come here to receive accurate informed about Dish Network promotions. Offhand, it would be nice to know the "real" cost of adding USB Storage and the technical limitations of this technology, etc.:confused:

I have no idea what youre trying to get at.

Late summer/fall
One Time Fee
Plug and Play with virtually any HDD

Where is the msinformed speculation. After reading those three, theres not much more to speculate, pretty simple just like my Comcast box was(minus the fee).

You just reworded my post.
But I agree after those 3 things anything else is SPECULATION.
I am glad we agree.

I agree, fee amount and anything else is speculation so thats not worth worrying about at this point.

Just a misunderstadning of meaning I guess.

I feel those 3 are the only answers people need right now along with Scott's facts above. Now we just have to wait.

I wonder if, by the time this is released, there will be anything as small as 750GB left in the bargain bins? ;)

Also, given the added delays, they need to have figured out how to allow the drive to be usable across the account and not limited to a specific receiver that may get exchanged.

They hope to have that limitation lifted by the time they release the external storage feature. I guess it required an update of the kernal of the receiver to make it accept over 750GB. :)

You got it too deep ;) - so far if existing kernel have support of LBA48 ( ie bigger the 127 GB disk ) then the limit is 128 PiB. There are other objections, like static buffers or RAM size or other SW limits in applications, not a kernel itself.

Since you've heard so much, cough, cough. Will there be two different fees then?

One to enable the USB on the DVRs (622) and one to enable the USB on non-DVR receivers (211)?
Yes.

Two seperate fees.

The reason for the fee on the non DVR to turn it into a DVR is because they must reset the account and force the receiver to download and enable the DVR software. :)

<skip>
The reason for the fee on the non DVR to turn it into a DVR is because they must reset the account and force the receiver to download and enable the DVR software. :)
Oh Scott ! You sound as Dish PR guy :) - fuzzy technologically, but firm in prices !

No, the SW will be there regardless DVR fee or features.

Last edited:

Hallmark to Launch HD Movie Channel

622 Freezes & Reboots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)